Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaction score
I was just walking past my tank and as I usually do I had a look in to see if all of my fish are ok and I saw my cardinal tetra looking like this anyone know why is it dangerous will it die ?
6ECB81B6-C901-42AF-97DC-9BC9B2613997.jpeg
80FBFE33-167F-4293-9CA9-0ECC78949537.jpeg

@Colin_T should be able to help.

hopefully I can kickstart

When's the last time you changed the water?

what are the current water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, temp etc?

@Colin_T should be able to help.

hopefully I can kickstart

When's the last time you changed the water?

what are the current water paramters? ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, temp etc?
Just under a week ago I did a 75% water change ( I am due for another 25% one ) as I had had four fish die in the space of two or three days I couldn’t find a cause and my water peramiters are
image.jpg

Looks like some bad mucus mixed with fin rot.

Do large daily water changes until @Colin_T can get on. (I suggest over 50%)

Are any other of the fish showing these symptoms?

Looks like some bad mucus mixed with fin rot.

Do large daily water changes until @Colin_T can get on. (I suggest over 50%)

Are any other of the fish showing these symptoms?
Not here aren’t any other fish showing symptoms in the tank could stocking be a problem as I have an angelfish that can be aggressive towards other angelfish but I’ve never seen it show aggression to the tetras or guppies Or is that completely off the subject ?

Not here aren’t any other fish showing symptoms in the tank could stocking be a problem as I have an angelfish that can be aggressive towards other angelfish but I’ve never seen it show aggression to the tetras or guppies Or is that completely off the subject ?
It could be showing aggression, but I doubt thats what caused the thing you see on your neon tetra.

Do a 75% water change and add aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons. After 1st day, do 50% water changes daily and 1/2 tablespoon of salt for every 5 gallons. Do this for 10 days. Be sure to dissolve salt in a little tank water before adding to tank so it doesn’t sting the fish.

Last edited:
Do a 75% water change and add aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons. After 1st day, do 59% water changes daily and 1/2 tablespoon of salt for every 5 gallons. Do this for 10 days. Be sure to dissolve salt in a little tank water before adding to tank so it doesn’t sting the fish.
Ok that sounds like a lot could go wrong but I will try it if I accidentally put A little to much salt will it harm the fish ?
And will the fish that don’t have the symptoms be harmed ?

Ok that sounds like a lot could go wrong but I will try it if I accidentally put A little to much salt will it harm the fish ?
And will the fish that don’t have the symptoms be harmed ?
Yes, neon tetras are sensitive to salt, don’t add to much.

If you feel more comfortable, cut the salt doseage in half. I treated ich with heat and aquarium salt for 14 days. I had neon tetras and cories in the tank. I did cut my salt down for the cories and only did 1 teaspoon for every 5G. Neons can handle salt for short periods of time (2 weeks) just fine.

If you feel more comfortable, cut the salt doseage in half. I treated ich with heat and aquarium salt for 14 days. I had neon tetras and cories in the tank. I did cut my salt down for the cories and only did 1 teaspoon for every 5G. Neons can handle salt for short periods of time (2 weeks) just fine.
Hi thank you I went to go dose the salt in the aquarium today but the tetra had sadly passed now that if five fish that have died in the past week I have never had a fish die in that specific aquarium until now all my water peramiters are fine and I’m doing my water changes so I am very confused ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back