My 3 Favorite Tetras…What Are Yours?

bgarthe33 50

Fish Crazy
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Apr 9, 2026
Messages
339
Reaction score
742
Points
93
Location
Peru, IL USA
Ok, here are my three favorite tetras. What are yours? I know it’s tough (it was for me), but if you had to pick…..
IMG_1516.webp
Congo Tetra, Phenacogrammus interruptus
IMG_1517.webp
Diamond Tetra, Makunaima pittieri
IMG_1562.webp
Cardinal Tetra, Paracheirodon axelrodi
 
I'm not a tetra keeper, but Congos would have to be my favorite. I'd definetely like to get some in the future, though they are somewhat pricey, and a full group would cost around $45-70.

The Buenos Aires Tetra definitely put a bad taste in my mouth. It was 100% a laughable mistake for me to ever buy them, but I saw them at Petco 2 years ago and decided to pick some up after reading on the tag that they are "peaceful." I believe that label has changed; my local Petco is very responsible and under great management. Still, it wasn't a great start!
 
1 Hyphessobrycon elachys
Small, but super active and don't behave like typical tetras. The males have the long fins which they use to flare at one another. Their plain silver colour reflects their surroundings as a form of camouflage. They are tiny but active.
20250303_192624(0).webp


2 Aphyocharax rathbuni
These do not behave like tetras one bit and I'm all for it. They forage for food like gourami, dart around like danios, but have the attitude of a barb. That's how a video on YouTube described them as and I think that is really accurate for these little guys.
20251226_174038.webp


3 Gymnocorymbus ternetzi
I like how hardy they are and how they're a subtly pretty fish. They get a bad rep but if given good numbers and space, they make for a really nice display fish if you want something that isn't going to hide away on you.
20240627_214945.webp
 
1. Diamond tetras
2. Ember tetras
3. Black neon tetras, super underrated, hardy is all heck and wonderful in a large school with planted tank
 
1. Cardinal tetras - the colour, the colour...
2. Black neons - another standard but such a nice fish. Hyphessobrycon metae and margitae are very similar fish I have here too - the black lined crew. Black neons are also easy and fun to breed.
3. Hyphessobrycon melanostichos. The "Imperial Lapis tetra" name is awful - none of my fish are imperial types! But it's a nice little fish with energy, and it's starting to become more and more available.
card3 (640x412).webp
black neon babies.webp
melanostichos1.webp
card3 (640x412).webp
 
Last edited:
my favorite has been unattainable, and that is the rainbow ( Nematobrycon lacortei )

1786876314875.webp


I’ve tried multiple times, and ended up with many nice fish, but never a true lacortei

I also love the Cardinals, ( Paracheirodon axelrodi ) I try to maintain about a dozen in my tank
1786877412098.webp


as well as the Rummy’s ( Hemigrammus rhodostomus ) and cousins, which I also try to maintain around a dozen

1786876635976.webp


the “other” Emperor ( Nematobrycon palmeri ) I’ve always liked, as they are easy to sex, the males have blue eyes, and the females have green, and these were most often sent by mistake when I ordered the lacortei, so I have a boatload of them in my south American Tetra tank, by default…
1786878029999.webp


and as a bonus, while they are not in your face pretty, I really like the sailfin tetra ( Crenchuchos spilurus ) for their unique habits, and unique lifestyle… I currently have 5 of these rarer in the hobby fish

Sailfin Tetra – Crenuchus spilurus
 
Last edited:
No top 3 for me yet, but I did see this tetra at my village pet shop yesterday. Not sure of the species, but an interesting colouration (below the rasbora of course)
IMG_0198.webp
 
Yep….looks like Pristela maxillaris to me.

Btw Magnum Man……..5 tetras is 166% of 3 tetras ;) Now you got me thinking which two would I add???:rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
I have been considering adding a small group of another tetra to my tank after a suitable home can be found for my Rasbora. I have never been a fan of albino fish but these Cardinals. They call to me :lol:
IMG_0222.webp
 
Thats a good pic MattW, but for me…..I’ve never been drawn to albinos as the red/blue of cardinals is virtually impossible to beat imho. Kinda cool how different people are drawn to different things. :oops:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top