Tell/show us your favorite TETRA

bgarthe38 56

Fish Crazy
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Apr 9, 2026
Messages
353
Reaction score
767
Points
93
Location
Peru, IL USA
I have about 6-8 favorite Tetras, but will stick with my fav three…….for now. :fish:
I might state my honorable mentions later.

Congo Tetra (Phenacogrammus interruptus) #1
IMG_9767.webpIMG_2205.webp
Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirdon axelrodi). #2
IMG_1766.webpIMG_1894.webp
Diamond Tetra (Makunaima pittieri) #3
IMG_1032.webpIMG_1033.webp
 
Wow, that's a tough question. You may as well ask what my favourite song is.

@bgarthe , you put up a good cardinal tetra picture. It may be common and lack the aura of rarity, but it is a beautiful creature that's good fishwatching. LIke the black neon or the glowlight tetra, it's an essential to me. They're popular for a good reason.

Hyphessobrycon melanostichos scores high for me. They're selling them with the annoying translated Mandarin name "Imperial Lapis tetra", but in spite of the bad poetry, they're worth exploring.
IMG_2650.webp


I like every Alestopetersius African tetra I've ever met. The most common one is A. caudalis, which I can't seem to get my paws on even though it is farmed. I have young Alestopetersius smykalai here, but the jury's out on how they'll develop. This red one pictured may be A. brichardi. They lived close to 10 yeas here and could have gone longer without the stress of my long distance move, I suspect.
alestopetersius 020.webp


Once, before digital photogaphy, I had some Rachoviscus crassiceps. They were little reddish bulldogs, with fantastic faces. They were easy to breed, too. I've never seen them again and didn't get photos, but they were outstanding. Some might say they were ugly, but they had more character than most Cichlids. Alas, they weren't pretty enough to return.
 
I have two species presently. Wild caught A. caudalis and tank raised Glowlight.
IMG_3607.webp
IMG_3520.webp
IMG_1728.webp
 
I think it is a very difficult pick between 3:
tucano
morse code
and of course everyone favorite ruby tetra (which thrive in blackwater).

Some pictures:

tucano.webp


morse.webp

ruby.webp


And of course there is as runner up orange and jelly:

orange.webp
jelly.webp


But then i left off old favorites like cardinals and serpae not to mention for those who want something larger like wadi (common name blue berry but most of the pictures on the web are not accurate -extremely nice tetra with unique colours) and something truly unique eilyos (if you are into black and red) and then there are the million of other tetra not mentioned.... how can we possibly pick a single favorite ?

As for imperial lapis @GaryE mentioned - i've had them on my wish list of a couple of years but they never are available - i can only take wc ones as tank raise ones can't adjust to my acidic environment well - bacterial issue - most tank raised tetra tank.
 
By the way Gary - there are two species under Imperial Lapis and the fish you mentioned is frequently called Blue Ribbon Tetra. The second species is cyanotaenia and (worse?) some breeders cross breed the two species and call the cross imperial lapis.
 
That's why I prefer to avoid English (or Mandarin now) names. I also like cyanotaenia and I can see where the confusion originates. To me "imperial" isn't a good thing. That's a name for a parasite! Lapis alone would be fine. But melanostichos is exact and clear in all languages.

I have young Hyphessobrycon citrus here, a close looking fish in yellow. They're too young to qualify as favourites yet. They need time to colour up.

There are so many wonderful tetras.
 
By the way Gary - there are two species under Imperial Lapis and the fish you mentioned is frequently called Blue Ribbon Tetra. The second species is cyanotaenia and (worse?) some breeders cross breed the two species and call the cross imperial lapis.
A hybrid of two Hyphessobrycon species?! Are we sure they are two different species? Are we sure this is true? I've NEVER heard of a hybrid between two Hyphessobrycon, Hemigrammus, Astyanax or any of the tetra genera.
 
A hybrid of two Hyphessobrycon species?! Are we sure they are two different species? Are we sure this is true? I've NEVER heard of a hybrid between two Hyphessobrycon, Hemigrammus, Astyanax or any of the tetra genera.
Well i can never know for sure but it is what i read :( I went back to find where it was stated as such but can't find the reference now. Perhaps it is just rumour as some fishes sold have traits of both species. Who knows what the farms are doing - after all i believe it is confirmed they are cross breeding clown loaches.
 
As for my favorite tetra, also my favorite species overall, Nannostomus unifasciatus:

n. uni red.webp
 
As for my favorite tetra, also my favorite species overall, Nannostomus unifasciatus:

View attachment 383041
But can we consider Nannostomus as a tetra? If so i could throw in some of those though in truth those little morse code tetra (which of course i can use the common name as the 'scientific' name) are pretty smart little critter.
 
I always liked ember tetras, I will also admit that I also liked neons, but have never kept them.
 
If I had the money I would like 15-20 Hyphessobrycon eilyos.
1783354630333.webp
 
If I had the money I would like 15-20 Hyphessobrycon eilyos.
View attachment 383043
Well.... here is one i own:
xxxx.webp
The black and red intensity varies greatly from minute to minute.
qqq.webp

Another tetra i own - they have an interesting motion as they school (not recommended if you raise frys) and among hte pencil fishes my two favorite are marilyn and these guys:

n_epesi.webp
 
When I went through my mid life crisis in the early 1990s I bought a fire engine red Mazda Miata. Apparently I like red fish too.
 
I saw negadagua above. I only ever had 3, but I loved them. They never came in again around here.

If we're expanding to pencils, then I call for a look at Neolebias cf ansorgi, an African Characin.
neolebias ansorgii 1 (640x427).webp
 

Most reactions

Back
Top