My 3 Favorite Tetras…What Are Yours?

I have been considering adding a small group of another tetra to my tank after a suitable home can be found for my Rasbora. I have never been a fan of albino fish but these Cardinals. They call to me :lol:
View attachment 385226
Me too, what a wild coloration. Get a big school of both varieties, that would be striking!
 
In 25 years I have only kept 4 species. First was cardinals. At my peak I had 65 in my 75 gal. in-wall tank. Next came rummy nose. Today I have two species. I have a group of purple emperors (Inpaichthys kerri) in the 75 and a few months ago I got 6 neons bred in Israel. One did not last but the other 5 are doing well in a 29. I am waiting for the store to get in another group from the same source so I can get another 10 or so.
 
4 species in 25 years. Since the arrival of newly found tetras accelerated a few years back, I've added about a species a year from the 'what's that?' list. There's so much to be learned with these fish. I don't know how you can rein in your curiosity, but that may be a good thing on your part.
 
@TwoTankAdmin I just love the colour of the purple emperors but sadly don't have sufficient space in my 80 litre to keep such fish. Ah well, part of my 'one day' dream.
 
One of my semi-local stores recently added a number of tetras to their selection. Since I'm now back on the Tetra bandwagon, I wouldn't mind if some of these somehow ended up in my possession :hyper:. My wallet says otherwise.
Screenshot.webp
 
Last edited:
The Neon Tetra , the Lemon Tetra and Bleeding Hearts always got my attention . The Neon for its beauty and history in the hobby . The Lemon Tetra for how nice they act in a group and how hardy they are and the Bleeding Hearts for how cool they look .
 
The Neon Tetra , the Lemon Tetra and Bleeding Hearts always got my attention . The Neon for its beauty and history in the hobby . The Lemon Tetra for how nice they act in a group and how hardy they are and the Bleeding Hearts for how cool they look .
Oh you’re just a bleeding heart when it comes to tetras! ;)
 
I just picked up a shoal of 9 Hyphessobrycon bentosi (Candy cane, Ornate, White Finned Tetras). The newer genus might now be Megalamphodus instead of Hyphessobrycon. Honestly….the whole genus and species of this fish is a mess. It has a close relative, H. rosaceus which it is commonly mistaken for. Anyway, the 9 are happy in the QT atm doing fine.
 
I might just change my mind on the Diamond Tetra 33g long species only tank and add these guys down the road. Flashy pink/white fish with sparkly fish all swimming about might just be cool. :nod:
Regarding tropical fish…….
I used to be all about Platies. Then it was Gouramis and Fancy Guppies. Then I fell into Discus. Now I find myself all about the Tetras. My how things can change. And some of the newer Tetras have to die for gorgeous coloring.:yahoo:
IMG_1807.webpIMG_1801.webpIMG_1789.webpIMG_1795.webpIMG_1776.webpIMG_1796.webpIMG_1773.webpIMG_1805.webp
 
Back to the cherrys for a second. My pickup yesterday of a lonesome cherry has now coloured up amongst the existing group.

Since its colouration is much more prominent than the others is it more likely this this is a line bred tetra rather than my other more darker / natural ones?
IMG_0347.webp
 
The risk there is the number of different species being sold under the name. I've seen at least three under the trade name. If you aren't breeding them, it isn't that big, but they will look different.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top