F.O.M.L. Fish Of My Life……photo list of happiness

Yes…….you jarred my memory. It was kribensis. Thnx.
 
Yes…….you jarred my memory. It was kribensis. Thnx.
But you have apistogramma kribensis; apistogramma is a different genus the genus you want is pelvicachromis.
 
The picture you have label as apistogramma sp ? is a pelvicachromis of some sort - probably kribensis from one of the nicer catch locations; also it would be good if Gary followed his own advice; for while some of his pictures have nice file names other not so much- at least one of the cory i don't recognize.
--
Follow my own advice? But what if it's wrong...
I fixed it.

I also realized I have hundreds of photos, some of them decent, that I haven't looked at for years. They go back to the early 2000s, with blurry snapshots to the 90s when cameras had few pixels and awful lag times. I didn't have a camera during my the heydey of Apistogramma, but I have a lot of other fish people might like to know exist.

There's only one defined locality of Pelvicachromis pulcher in the hobby (the krib). @gwand and the researcher who found it are the only people I know with photos of it. The rest are just nice varieties developed in the hobby.
 
Follow my own advice? But what if it's wrong...
I fixed it.

I also realized I have hundreds of photos, some of them decent, that I haven't looked at for years. They go back to the early 2000s, with blurry snapshots to the 90s when cameras had few pixels and awful lag times. I didn't have a camera during my the heydey of Apistogramma, but I have a lot of other fish people might like to know exist.

There's only one defined locality of Pelvicachromis pulcher in the hobby (the krib). @gwand and the researcher who found it are the only people I know with photos of it. The rest are just nice varieties developed in the hobby.
Wait - so what the ones found in dehane, klenke, lokunje, djanje, makoure, polongwe, ndonga -> are you saying these are all really apistogramma ?
 
Nope. Dehane, Loukoundje, Moliwe and the others are Pelvicachromis kribensis. No Apistos in Africa.

Hobby kribs are Pelvicachromis pulcher, and the only one really known in the hobby is the strange P. pulcher Ndonga form. All the other pulcher are descended from various commercial imports over the past sixty years or so. No one knows where they were caught to be able to establish a geographic origin for each colour form.

You know the current Apistogramma lineup better than I do. There is an Apistogramma pulchra....

I had wild caught pulcher once. It was very reddish and came with Cross River fish, including the very red and black beauty of a krib relative, Pelvicachromis sacrimontis. It wouldn't breed, and since the Cross River is a long and diverse one, the location didn't say much.
 
Mybad……it was years ago that I had the
Kribensis Cichlid, called Pelvicachromis pulcher, NOT Apistogramma…… Thank you anewbie for setting this straight and correcting my error. I fixed/repaired my pic IDs from earlier….with your help.:fish:
 
Last edited:
@bgarthe I'm picky about the scientific names. If I were forced to keep only one fish, it would be the krib
moliwedance.webp
. You see, I could cheat and keep P. pulcher, P kribensis, P sacrimontis and P taeniatus, as they've all seen sold as kribs. And all are fantastic fish.

I've kept many dwarf Cichlids, but of all of them, I'd like to be able to get P kribensis Moliwe. It's my favourite Cichlid. They aren't available via any Canadian sellers now, but I may go to Europe in the Fall, and I can try to finagle some from breeders there. Its habitat is in danger from industrial farming, and war.
 
Years ago, my pair of Kribs had young and boy, they were the bestest of parents. They kept half the 65g tank of fish all on the right side…away from the cave spot the female selected. It was so cool watching mom lead the group of fry around the tank foraging for food.

My “keep only one fish” would be Congo Tetra.:p
 
Hobby kribs are Pelvicachromis pulcher, and the only one really known in the hobby is the strange P. pulcher Ndonga form..
the problem (for me) is his fish look nothing like the typical domestic p. pulcher that i've owned or seen sold. So i think it is related but something a little different.

Right now i have 2 kribs: wc ones from Loukoundje and polongwe; colour wise they are polar oppsites the polongwe is tan with the female blue (probably tan on top of red); and the louk are not fully colour yet but lean towards very red in the fins.
 
Last edited:
Wow ! Never occurred to me to take pictures and KEEP them . I’m like @gimme30 , they’re all stored up in my brain and only I can see them . There a lot in there but only common ones . I don’t see the rare and unusual here along the banks of The Yellowstone River . One I did like more than most was Neolamprologus (?) brichardi , the so called Daffodil Cichlid from Africa . I even got treated to the multigenerational fry rearing thing they do which was too cool to see .
 
the problem (for me) is his fish look nothing like the typical domestic p. pulcher that i've owned or seen sold. So i think it is related but something a little different.
I was able to fish with the world expert on Pelvicachromis - the person who did the revision of the Genus a few years back. @gwand 's fish is Pelvicachromis pulcher, but it isn't typical and it being found in Ndonga, Cameroon, rather than in Nigeria like all the other pulcher is a little weird. There could be a story of how it came to be there, but no one knows it yet.

Right now i have 2 kribs: wc ones from Loukoundje and polongwe; colour wise they are polar oppsites the polongwe is tan with the female blue (probably tan on top of red); and the louk are not fully colour yet but lean towards very red in the fins.

I've had the kribensis from Loukoundje. It's a handsome fish. I've never seen Polongwe. The village doesn't show up on my maps, which is pretty normal with how villages come and go in the region. The weather there beats up wooden buildings - the mould and humidity eats places up, and a lot of villages get a decade or two before people build elsewhere. They fall off the map or get renamed. But sellers of rare fish have been known to sell the same fish with several different names to boost the market and get collectors excited. So maybe it's one of the tried and true ones renamed, or maybe one I haven't encountered. Either way, I'd leap at either. P. kribensis used to come in to Canada on a regular basis, an I had 5 different morphs at one time. Now they, and Benitochromis never come, and I've realized how spoiled we were.
All I can get are aquarium type pulcher galore.
 
All this talk about Kribensis is getting me excited . I had a pair once upon a time in the mid 1990’s and got a bunch of fry and the parents were great . I loved those little cichlids .
 
I was able to fish with the world expert on Pelvicachromis - the person who did the revision of the Genus a few years back. @gwand 's fish is Pelvicachromis pulcher, but it isn't typical and it being found in Ndonga, Cameroon, rather than in Nigeria like all the other pulcher is a little weird. There could be a story of how it came to be there, but no one knows it yet.



I've had the kribensis from Loukoundje. It's a handsome fish. I've never seen Polongwe. The village doesn't show up on my maps, which is pretty normal with how villages come and go in the region. The weather there beats up wooden buildings - the mould and humidity eats places up, and a lot of villages get a decade or two before people build elsewhere. They fall off the map or get renamed. But sellers of rare fish have been known to sell the same fish with several different names to boost the market and get collectors excited. So maybe it's one of the tried and true ones renamed, or maybe one I haven't encountered. Either way, I'd leap at either. P. kribensis used to come in to Canada on a regular basis, an I had 5 different morphs at one time. Now they, and Benitochromis never come, and I've realized how spoiled we were.
All I can get are aquarium type pulcher galore.
Well we can chat if they breed. Of course getting them over the border will be another issue. I'll try to get some pictures of the tan one they are not shy but always in motion and their aquarium is quite dark.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top