My…….fish Wish…..

bgarthe34 51

Fish Crazy
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Apr 9, 2026
Messages
343
Reaction score
745
Points
93
Location
Peru, IL USA
Just a spot to toss out the fish wish at the moment. This could be a dream, next to get, a passion to obtain, or just something that triggers a fish wish desire. It may or may not come true.

Last year a fish wish of mine came true when I procured 9 Phenacogrammus aurantiacus (Gold Blue Eyed Congo Tetra).
IMG_2196.jpeg
This year my fish wish for Sawbwa resplendens, (Rummynose Rasbora) came true.
IMG_2202.jpeg

My fish wish today would be for the
Muzel Red Cherry Tetra (Hyphessobrycon Sp.).

What’s your fish wish today?
 
Last edited:
Fish wishlists are as fluid as the water in our tanks. There are so many species to enjoy and learn about, and so few tanks (and so little budget).
 
My number one fish on the wish list is , and always will be , the original wild type striped Aplocheilus lineatus Killifish . I’ve got a guy in WAKO looking but I don’t think he’s having any more luck than I’ve had in locating this formerly very common Killifish .
 
I've been keeping an eye it for you not only for A. lineatus but also Cichlasoma portalegrense. Ironic that both were once so easily found.
 
Right now, I'd like a rhino pleco and Empire and Sunburst Gudgeons as well as more Orinoco Dolphin Catfish.
Maybe in the future, an RTM cichlid would be nice or a Ctenochromis Horei pair.
I'm very much looking to discover new cichlids and catfish at the moment!
 
I've been keeping an eye it for you not only for A. lineatus but also Cichlasoma portalegrense. Ironic that both were once so easily found.
It happens a lot. I recall the first time I saw the solid green/gold version of A. lineatus. It was an exciting looking fish, but within 3 or 4 years, it had entirely replaced the natural looking fish on dealer's lists. Most hobbyists now have never seen the beautiful natural form of lineatus. The last time I saw a recent photo was from an Indian aquarist who had taken the shot underwater in a stream.

Fancy forms are cheap and easy to produce. Try finding a natural platy, a ram, a Betta splendens, a lineatus - it can be done but it's a quest that needs connections.

Meanwhile, my fish quests change daily...
 
My fish wish list only has rainbows in it. I was never excited about rainbows, even when I got my first Boesemani (which I still have)...but through my research over the years I've discovered some absolutely exquisite fish that I could only dream of keeping. Just when I think I've found the most gorgeous of them all, I happen across something new that takes my breath away. Here are my favourites so far...
This is Melanotaenia Splendida Inornata, the checkered rainbow fish...
Screenshot_20260504-174220~2.webp

I thought he was pretty special until I found Melanotaenia Sahulensis...
Screenshot_20260504-174327~2.webp

There are better photos online, he gets mistaken for Maccullochi as they're very similar and closely related.

Then I came across Melanotaenia Picta, and oh my, I fell in love with this fish...
Screenshot_20260504-175456~2.webp

I thought he was my dream fish...but then...

Screenshot_20260504-195912~2.webp

Chilatherina alleni from the wapoga river 😍 what a stunner!

I don't have the brain for the science and biology, but I sure do have the eyes and heart to appreciate just how beautiful they are
 
I've been keeping an eye it for you not only for A. lineatus but also Cichlasoma portalegrense. Ironic that both were once so easily found.
It never ceases to make me wonder how these once common fish have disappeared . Aquarium keepers have become consumers now . The old semiprofessional scientist mindset has been replaced by one of being a collector of oddities now . Time was I could go out to one of several shops in my little burg and come home with one or more pair of Port Cichlids from all of them . I can still do that with Convicts but why not Ports ? Nobody even really likes Convicts and you can’t give the fry away so why did the infinitely more agreeable Port disappear ?
 
Nobody even really likes Convicts and you can’t give the fry away so why did the infinitely more agreeable Port disappear ?
In part because several species were passed off as Ports that were not, most notably its dull cousin, C. bimaculatum, aka 'the Black Port.' It possesses none of the green/blue iridescence nor the intriguing color pattern especially on the caudal. The internet is full of photos of misidentified Ports and when the occasional listing has come up on aquabid, they are almost always not Ports.
 
My fish wish list only has rainbows in it. I was never excited about rainbows, even when I got my first Boesemani (which I still have)...but through my research over the years I've discovered some absolutely exquisite fish that I could only dream of keeping. Just when I think I've found the most gorgeous of them all, I happen across something new that takes my breath away. Here are my favourites so far...
This is Melanotaenia Splendida Inornata, the checkered rainbow fish...
I get this. I no longer have any rainbows though, after years of hunting down the beauties I wanted and breeding them. Beware of fish tuberculosis - it destroys rainbows. So many of the fish I bought blossomed with it within weeks of arrival. My boesemani never showed it - nor did my wanamensis. But a dozen other species developed those familiar rectangular sores as soon as they had survived shipping.

No more Melanaotaenia for me.
 
I get this. I no longer have any rainbows though, after years of hunting down the beauties I wanted and breeding them. Beware of fish tuberculosis - it destroys rainbows. So many of the fish I bought blossomed with it within weeks of arrival. My boesemani never showed it - nor did my wanamensis. But a dozen other species developed those familiar rectangular sores as soon as they had survived shipping.

No more Melanaotaenia for me.
I think it was tb that took out my praecox ☹️ that was really sad watching them drop one by one...but the Boesemani are unaffected.

Keeping any more rainbows is just a pipe dream for me, I'd want them to have their own tanks and I just don't have the space...I suppose it's a blessing in disguise in that regard because if I had the means I'd be a pot of gold short of the whole rainbow! So I'm living vicariously through Gary Lange and his fish room on YouTube
 
I've never been crazy about rainbowfish but my lfs carried melanotaenia trifasciata about a year ago, and I picked two up. They were pretty nice fish with relatively bold coloration, definitely a positive experience up until the point in which they passed away.

I finally was able to find and pick up a rhino pleco at Absolutely Fish on Sunday, and came across a very large glossolepis incisus. Aside from looking like it was having a hard time swimming, it was quite impressive!
 
I used to want to try every 'new' fish that showed up from nature. Working with an importer of rare fish, I got to see and keep a lot of things most hobbyists have never seen in stores. Now I'm retired and living in a seaside town where seeing guppies is an event. I don't have access to the fish that an aquarist living in a more densely populated place would. Ah, but I still have wishlists. I'm slowly filling them in as I find fish that may not be rarities, but that I liked and want to maintain for as many generations as I can.

Yesterday, I got a breeding group of Iriatherina werneri, the threadfin rainbow (not really a rainbow). I have a tank of Hoplisoma atropersonatus, a cory I fell in love with years ago. I have a pile of baby Pelvicachromis taeniatus in with their parents, and would love to find Pelvicachromis kribensis again (not the easy to get hobby krib). There's a not well known Genus of western African Cichlids, Benitochromis, that I hope to get one of on a trip to Europe next winter.

I'm a killie keeper, and would like some Procatopus and Platopochilus lampeyes. There are a couple of species of African killies I'd jump at a chance to keep, if I ever find them. I'd also love to find some of the small barbs and Distochodids of western Africa, but I doubt I will.

Once you get past the mental barrier of having one tank (and I'm a ways past that one), quests will do you good. You learn what @Back in the fold is discovering - there are fashions in fish availability and if for whatever reason the trade turns against what you like, you can be out of luck unless you've discussed with like minded people. Right now, all sorts of predatory fish are fashionable, a reflection of our times, I guess. Fish you think are common now can be eliminated from the hobby by the development of 'sports' or hybrids, or by genetically modified versions. The hobby can lose interest - a shift that caused dozens of Apistogramma dwarf Cichlids to become unavailable or really expensive. Wars can cut supplies off, and wild stocks of fish from environmentally destroyed regions can dry up, literally.

If you work through something like the Baensch Atlases of aquarium fish and then look around you at the hobby, our choices are shrinking really fast and so many fish many take for granted are already in the rear view mirror for us. Sometimes it becomes a matter of breeding and maintaining them, or saying good bye. The market's shrinking fast.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top