Jaycee16
New Member
I have 2 YoYo Loaches that are 3-4 years old that are housed with Guppies and Swordtails.
I did the usual water change just over a week ago and they started hiding. I got the water checked and all is fine but they advised a 20% water change just in case.
Since I have done this change I heard noise coming from the tank which sounded like a bigger fish trying to eat food from the water surface or just splashing about there. I hadn't long fed them so I wasn't too concerned, but I got up to see which fish it was as I hadn't noticed this before since keeping smaller fish.
I couldn't see anything obvious and sat back down. It was only the next day when I heard the noise again that I investigated further and took the back part of the lid off.
When I did this I discovered one of the Yoyo Loaches on the lip/ledge of the tank on the surface of the water (see attached picture).
I thought it had got stuck there and died, but when I tried to remove it it swam off extremely quickly like nothing was wrong. Since then I have been checking on it and it has been there at least 4 or 5 times again today. When I lift that part of the lid it swims off really quickly.
When laying there only the one side of the Yoyo Loach is in the water and that is really worrying me!
Does anyone know if this is normal and safe behaviour?
Should I be disturbing it or is it safe and I am likely stressing it by lifting the lid?
I have checked everything I can think of. The water and temperature are fine, the filter is working, there's air bubbles oxygenating the tank, and nothing at all has changed in the tank, so I am at a loss as to why the fish is doing this.
Any advice would be gratefully received!
is doing this.
Any advice gratefully received!
I did the usual water change just over a week ago and they started hiding. I got the water checked and all is fine but they advised a 20% water change just in case.
Since I have done this change I heard noise coming from the tank which sounded like a bigger fish trying to eat food from the water surface or just splashing about there. I hadn't long fed them so I wasn't too concerned, but I got up to see which fish it was as I hadn't noticed this before since keeping smaller fish.
I couldn't see anything obvious and sat back down. It was only the next day when I heard the noise again that I investigated further and took the back part of the lid off.
When I did this I discovered one of the Yoyo Loaches on the lip/ledge of the tank on the surface of the water (see attached picture).
I thought it had got stuck there and died, but when I tried to remove it it swam off extremely quickly like nothing was wrong. Since then I have been checking on it and it has been there at least 4 or 5 times again today. When I lift that part of the lid it swims off really quickly.
When laying there only the one side of the Yoyo Loach is in the water and that is really worrying me!
Does anyone know if this is normal and safe behaviour?
Should I be disturbing it or is it safe and I am likely stressing it by lifting the lid?
I have checked everything I can think of. The water and temperature are fine, the filter is working, there's air bubbles oxygenating the tank, and nothing at all has changed in the tank, so I am at a loss as to why the fish is doing this.
Any advice would be gratefully received!
is doing this.
Any advice gratefully received!







