The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

pjwilford

Reaction score
5A2BE1F3-5718-4BB9-932D-2F8D106DDC03.jpeg

Iā€™m finding this fish has a mysterious white spot. seems like some sort of fungus. a black molly of mine has it all over as well. Will pimafix cure this? What is it?? I have a guppy currently giving birth right now too. will meds be safe for babies?

BEBDAFFA-CD49-4B28-B787-4EB1594D9C0E.jpeg
Here is the molly. Iā€™ve dealt with ich before and this doesnā€™t seem like ich to me.

The molly has excess mucous on its body.
The guppy looks like it has lost a couple of scales. It also appears to have gill flukes, although that is a minor issue, which can be treated with Praziquantel after we work out what is going on.

How long has the tank been set up for?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH of the tank water? Results in numbers please.
The GH (general hardness) and pH of your water can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

What sort of filter do you have?
Is it run continuously?
How long has the filter been set up for?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

What other fish are in the tank?

--------------------------
Fish produce excess mucous due to poor water quality or chemicals and other irritants (protozoan infections) in the water. The best thing to do is a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the filter has been running for more than 2 months, then clean it if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. If you have a power filter, wash filter media in a bucket of tank water.
Do not replace filter materials unless they start to fall apart.

It looks like there is a lot of gunk on the bottom of the tank in the picture with the molly. Make sure you get this gunk out. Use a basic model gravel cleaner like the one in the following link to clean the gravel.
https://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html

The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep. :)
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/#post-3804819

Hi, this could be ich. Iā€™m not sure- I have dealt with it once before and it can be devastating to your tank.
I personally would ā€˜quarantineā€™ the fish and monitor him closely. If he shows any unusual behaviour or you see more spots treat the water with whatever you have available. Raise the water temperature and thoroughly check other fish for white spots.

Good luck!

IMG_20190401_120740.jpg

I would raise temp to 85F, increase salinity to 3-5ppt, treat with formalin or Kordon Rid-Ich (1:10 ratio/formalin:water). Also 25% water change before addition of chemical and gravel vac. (You have too much solids in your substrate) Remove carbon when adding chems. Do this for at least two weeks. The actual white spots on the fish isn't the medicines target rather the theront is the stage the formalin will kill. So if fish has no visible white spots it doesn't mean the fish is rid of the disease.

Last edited:
The molly has excess mucous on its body.
The guppy looks like it has lost a couple of scales. It also appears to have gill flukes, although that is a minor issue, which can be treated with Praziquantel after we work out what is going on.

How long has the tank been set up for?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH of the tank water? Results in numbers please.
The GH (general hardness) and pH of your water can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

What sort of filter do you have?
Is it run continuously?
How long has the filter been set up for?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

What other fish are in the tank?

--------------------------
Fish produce excess mucous due to poor water quality or chemicals and other irritants (protozoan infections) in the water. The best thing to do is a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the filter has been running for more than 2 months, then clean it if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. If you have a power filter, wash filter media in a bucket of tank water.
Do not replace filter materials unless they start to fall apart.

It looks like there is a lot of gunk on the bottom of the tank in the picture with the molly. Make sure you get this gunk out. Use a basic model gravel cleaner like the one in the following link to clean the gravel.
https://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html

The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep. :)
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/#post-3804819
Iā€™m curious to know how you recognised that the guppy might have gill flukes. You must have a good eye.

With spots all over like that, I will have to cast my vote for ich. FrankthefishTank has good advice. However, if you keep the temp at 86F (not 85F) and use aquarium salt, you donā€™t need the ich medication at all. Salt and heat will destroy the ich. Like Frank said, do this for 10 days to 2 weeks. Salt will also cure a lot of fungus issues. A lot of people donā€™t like salt or afraid to use it. I use to be myself but a veterinarian friend got me to do it and I swear by it for ich now. Good luck!

the gills look sunken in and the head doesn't look right.
So with gill flukes we should look for sunken gills? Does the head actually change shape too? Iā€™ve never had to deal with gill flukes.

Gill flukes can cause the gill covers to look sunken in or stick out. Basically if the gill covers don't look normal then something is going on under them.

The head can tilt up a bit or turn to one side or the other if there is major inflammation in one side of the gills.

The fish can breath heavily or breath normally, depending on how bad the infestation is.

Most fish have gill flukes and in small numbers they won't show any symptoms. I assume all new fish are infected and treat everything with Praziquantel just to ensure they are clean.

Gill flukes can cause the gill covers to look sunken in or stick out. Basically if the gill covers don't look normal then something is going on under them.

The head can tilt up a bit or turn to one side or the other if there is major inflammation in one side of the gills.

The fish can breath heavily or breath normally, depending on how bad the infestation is.

Most fish have gill flukes and in small numbers they won't show any symptoms. I assume all new fish are infected and treat everything with Praziquantel just to ensure they are clean.
Itā€™s a shame normal praziquantel isnā€™t available in the UK, not even for other animals itā€™s always mixed with something else. The only way I could ever treat for flukes or worms is with anti fluke and dewormer medications. However, I agree interesting post.

The only way I could ever treat for flukes or worms is with anti fluke and dewormer medications.
What's wrong with using that?
If it treats worms and gill flukes and doesn't have anti-biotics added to it, then use it.

What's wrong with using that?
If it treats worms and gill flukes and doesn't have anti-biotics added to it, then use it.
Do you have any knowledge on Flubendazole? Thereā€™s a a few products Iā€™ve found that state the solution is a liquid mix of this. Iā€™m assuming this means nothing else is mixed. Thereā€™s two different types not sure what the differences are. Iā€™ve used interpet parasite treatment before and not had a good experience personally.

Attachments

• 0FB17B88-8253-4E16-9E1C-1A0A9F227EB0.jpeg
    0FB17B88-8253-4E16-9E1C-1A0A9F227EB0.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 225
  • F6917308-97BD-4E18-902F-05D020B0DFFB.jpeg
    F6917308-97BD-4E18-902F-05D020B0DFFB.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 232

Most reactions

Back