The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishLover97

Reaction score
I need some opinions on what to do regarding my aquarium heater. I have a 3.5 gallon tank and the Aqueon 10W mini heater. My thermometer (which Iā€™m not sure I fully trust, but anyway) says that when I leave the heater plugged in the water gets up to about 83 degrees Fahrenheit. It stays consistently at that but that is a bit out of range for my fish. It isnā€™t like our house is crazy hot or anything so Iā€™m not sure why it makes the water so warm, especially when, in general, the internet seems to say that 15W is ideal for 3.5 gallons. Iā€™d love to get a heater controller but they cost like $50 on amazon so Iā€™d like to look into some other options before jumping to spending that much. I donā€™t really want to buy a different heater because Iā€™ve heard so many horror stories of bursted heaters and this one has been reliable for me so Iā€™m scared about trying a different one and killing my fish. So if anyone can think of a good solution to this, or knows of somewhere that would offer a heater controller for cheaper, please let me know!

I need some opinions on what to do regarding my aquarium heater. I have a 3.5 gallon tank and the Aqueon 10W mini heater. My thermometer (which Iā€™m not sure I fully trust, but anyway) says that when I leave the heater plugged in the water gets up to about 83 degrees Fahrenheit. It stays consistently at that but that is a bit out of range for my fish. It isnā€™t like our house is crazy hot or anything so Iā€™m not sure why it makes the water so warm, especially when, in general, the internet seems to say that 15W is ideal for 3.5 gallons. Iā€™d love to get a heater controller but they cost like $50 on amazon so Iā€™d like to look into some other options before jumping to spending that much. I donā€™t really want to buy a different heater because Iā€™ve heard so many horror stories of bursted heaters and this one has been reliable for me so Iā€™m scared about trying a different one and killing my fish. So if anyone can think of a good solution to this, or knows of somewhere that would offer a heater controller for cheaper, please let me know!
Maybe you don't have to have a heater in your tank at all. A tank that small can stay above 75F all day and night, because it is such a small enclosure. But first tell me what type of fish there are in your tank? I have a Neon tetra in a 20L (5 gallon) tank with no heater and it doesn't get bellow 75F. So I would like to know what type of fish you have first before giving any recommendations, and take a photo of your tank if you can, and let me know where abouts in your house it is! All of that matters! ;)

I have looked at the instructions, and it seems there is no thermostat on the heater, there is just plugged in or not plugged in. The fact that they say to remove it in hot weather suggests that it will keep on heating regardless of the tank or air temperature.

I don't know which heaters are available in Canada, but if possible I suggest replacing it with a heater which has a thermostat as these switch themselves off when the water is at the correct temperature.

I recommend getting the super cheap (but reliable) Tetra Heater. Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OQO69Q/?tag=ff0d01-20

I currently use this in my 10g betta tank and I used to use it in my 2.5g tank. Itā€™s only $15, IMO, thatā€™s a steal. :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You need a different heater as 83~F is a bit too warm....OR if your room temperature is consistent, you may not need a heater. We have all been conditioned that tropical fish all need 76-78F. However, this varies with species. I find that my swordtails for example, do well down to 70F and below.
As mentioned above, the heater you have apparently does not have a built in thermostat, fixed temp or not! It merely has a high limit shut off that reportedly only works once and the heater is done for. Frankly, I don't know why heaters like this are even sold!
If I was you, I might unplug the heater and monitor the fish as the temperature slowly comes down to room temperature. Look for any kind of distress. If after the temp comes down to room temp (may take some time) if there are signs of distress, plug it back in until you get a better heater. Otherwise, you may not need a heater at all. Having 'said' the above, there is a caution. Here in the north, many people live fine with much cooler room temps in winter and just wear sweaters and such. Room temperature is considered to be 72F, but often folks have their homes much cooler. In which case, you'd surely need a better heater.

Maybe you don't have to have a heater in your tank at all. A tank that small can stay above 75F all day and night, because it is such a small enclosure. But first tell me what type of fish there are in your tank? I have a Neon tetra in a 20L (5 gallon) tank with no heater and it doesn't get bellow 75F. So I would like to know what type of fish you have first before giving any recommendations, and take a photo of your tank if you can, and let me know where abouts in your house it is! All of that matters! ;)
Thanks for replying! In the tank I have three tetras, a danio, and a platy. The tank is in my living room, there are windows nearby but there isnā€™t direct sunlight on the tank as to warm it up. I worry that it would get too cold without a heater because our house is at 18 degrees Celsius usually. Iā€™ll try to attach a picture
image.jpg

I have looked at the instructions, and it seems there is no thermostat on the heater, there is just plugged in or not plugged in. The fact that they say to remove it in hot weather suggests that it will keep on heating regardless of the tank or air temperature.

I don't know which heaters are available in Canada, but if possible I suggest replacing it with a heater which has a thermostat as these switch themselves off when the water is at the correct temperature.
Yes, it does keep heating and in the summer I plan to take the heater out. Our room temperature must be at the right point that it stops the water from getting warmer than 83F. Iā€™ve thought about getting one of those Iā€™m just scared of getting a faulty one and killing my fish. Iā€™ve gotten really attached to them, lol. But Iā€™ll look into it more, thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You need a different heater as 83~F is a bit too warm....OR if your room temperature is consistent, you may not need a heater. We have all been conditioned that tropical fish all need 76-78F. However, this varies with species. I find that my swordtails for example, do well down to 70F and below.
As mentioned above, the heater you have apparently does not have a built in thermostat, fixed temp or not! It merely has a high limit shut off that reportedly only works once and the heater is done for. Frankly, I don't know why heaters like this are even sold!
If I was you, I might unplug the heater and monitor the fish as the temperature slowly comes down to room temperature. Look for any kind of distress. If after the temp comes down to room temp (may take some time) if there are signs of distress, plug it back in until you get a better heater. Otherwise, you may not need a heater at all. Having 'said' the above, there is a caution. Here in the north, many people live fine with much cooler room temps in winter and just wear sweaters and such. Room temperature is considered to be 72F, but often folks have their homes much cooler. In which case, you'd surely need a better heater.
Thanks for the advice! Yes, I agree that it is too warm. Our house is kept around 18C, which I think is what stops the tank from getting any hotter than it already is, but it also means that room temp would be about 10F too cold without a heater, or 8F too hot with the heater. No good solution I have tetras, danio and a platy.

No good solution I have tetras, danio and a platy.
I would also suggest looking more into how little of fish you have...

Tetras (almost every single variation) need to be in groups of 6 or more and need a bigger tank. What specific type of tetra do you have?

I would also suggest looking more into how little of fish you have...

Tetras (almost every single variation) need to be in groups of 6 or more and need a bigger tank. What specific type of tetra do you have?
I know the situation isnā€™t ideal, we were beginners when we got our fish and the pet store said they would be fine in a group of three and would school with other types, so I have one panda and two black neons. They donā€™t seem to be stressed or anything though, and Iā€™ve had them like this for about 5 months. I would like to get more to help them out but my tank is too small.

I now have 2 pandas and 5 black neons. They live great together .. I try to look after them very carefully, as I understand that this is a great responsibility. Recently my heater broke down and I didn't have a spare one. They helped me choose my first heater when buying an aquarium. Now the choice had to be made independently. It was very difficult for me to choose the model that suits me, but this article www.vivofish.com/best-aquarium-heater/ helped me a lot. I hope I made the right choice when I hoped for this information. So far, I haven't had any problems. I hope they will not appear in the future.

Last edited:
Late to the party. I also picked up 3.5 gallon tank with 2 guppies. Tequila Sunrise and Dumbo Guppy. Tequila Sunrise died Monday, Dumbo died yesterday. Both times water samples tested fine. Iā€™m a newbie, they failed to mention cycling of the tank...Iā€™ve replaced same both of them with same exact dish (cuz my kid is 6) and I couldnā€™t think of anything else. They recommended a heater, I got one thatā€™s 15w now lot of articles and research say that itā€™s going to be hot. So I do I get a 7.5 watt? Confused because itā€™s still warm in October it wonā€™t get cold for at least a month. I picked up a thermometer and it shows 77/78 degrees roughly. I went to petsmart twice and their little heaters were sold out. Any suggestions? I want to get few moths out of these fish if not years. I feel bad, Iā€™ve done everything I can. I appreciate any suggestions.

You should get a heater that is either adjustable or has a preset temp for about 78 degrees. Even a 25 water heater would be ok if it meets the criteria. It should have a built in thermostat.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back