Help Shrimp Are Dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xXLeafeonXx

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My yellow shrimp are dying and i don't know why.
the underside of their belly turns all white the other shrimp are happy and active.i have had 2 yellow shrimp die so far.its only the adults no dead baby shrimp.please help i don't want my shrimp to die.

How long have you had them and what size is your tank? What else is in there with them? Is it just shrimp?

Do you have a photo of one of the shrimp with a white belly?

Need much more info to make any sort of call on what's happening.

Added any plants recently? Water params? Temps? TDS?

Don't know TDS ammonia is 0 I have no pics of dead shrimp.Its a 10 gallon nothing but shrimp about 1 week and a half.

xXLeafeonXx said:
...nothing but shrimp about 1 week and a half.
Does this mean nothing but shrimp for the last week and a half, or does it mean the tank is a week and a half old, or does this mean you've only put shrimp in it for the last week and a half.? ;)

The tank and the shrimp have been in there for a week and a half.I know about cycling but thats not the problem.

xXLeafeonXx said:
...I know about cycling but thats not the problem.
Okay. Tell me what lead you to that conclusion?

I ask because with a new tank my first thoughts are:
  1. Cycling issue
  2. Stability issue.
Though it's not as common with FW, in marine, certainly animals (anemone for example, and sea cucumbers) should not be kept in tanks that aren't mature. This isn't about cycling, but rather the stability of bacterial and infauna populations and their affects on water parameters.

Shrimp are sensitive to changes in water parameters, much more so than fish, or even most snails, and so at 1.5 weeks I do wonder if one of the two things is the issue.

Is that why you don't think it's a cycling issue...because the babies seem unaffected?

There's always a reason and most of the time we can figure it out with the process of elimination. That's how I like to problem solve. Ground zero is cycling so we need to firmly eliminate that before we can consider other factors.

When you did the water change did you add dechlorinator to the water? Was the new water the same temp as the existing tank water? When you did the water change did you clean the filter? If so how did you clean it?
Is the tank a totally new tank? or a reused/ second hand tank? If its not new, could it have had treatments in it containing copper?

I did add dechlorinator not same temp didn't clean filter totally new.

Either cycling issue or unstable TDS, or possibly failed moults due to low calcium or similar (I lost a few to that before I sussed out what I'd forgotten to do). The stability would explain the water change issue.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back