The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Gracesaysmoo

Reaction score
i just bought a half-moon betta a month ago and he was perfectly fine for most of that time. I started him out in water that had been cleaned with filter charcoal. After about 3 weeks he got lethargic and started to sit at the bottom of the tank more often. My tank has a waterfall filter so I thought that was what made him tired and so I turned it off for a couple hours at a time to let him rest. He now spends most of the day sitting on a small rock I have in his tank or hiding behind the plant I have. He is still breathing and swims around the tank occasionally when I tap the tank but heā€™s definitely not healthy. Iā€™ve had other fish die and I really want to save this one. Any help is appreciated.

Tank size: 2.5 gal
pH: 6.8-7
tank temp:77

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 227
i just bought a half-moon betta a month ago and he was perfectly fine for most of that time. I started him out in water that had been cleaned with filter charcoal. After about 3 weeks he got lethargic and started to sit at the bottom of the tank more often. My tank has a waterfall filter so I thought that was what made him tired and so I turned it off for a couple hours at a time to let him rest. He now spends most of the day sitting on a small rock I have in his tank or hiding behind the plant I have. He is still breathing and swims around the tank occasionally when I tap the tank but heā€™s definitely not healthy. Iā€™ve had other fish die and I really want to save this one. Any help is appreciated.

Tank size: 2.5 gal
pH: 6.8-7
tank temp:77
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

You are correct to say bettas donā€™t appreciate a strong current.

Could you provide information on if you did a fish in cycle? If so any ammonia or nitrite in the water could have intoxicated the fish.

I recommend you perform a 75% water change and see if that helps. Make sure any new water is free from chlorine before added to the tank.

Itā€™s recommended that you keep nitrates below 20, or ideally below 10.

Best of luck.

Could you provide information on if you did a fish in cycle? If so any ammonia or nitrite in the water could have intoxicated the fish.

I recommend you perform a 75% water change and see if that helps. Make sure any new water is free from chlorine before added to the tank.

Best of luck.

I havenā€™t tested nitrates or ammonia. I do a partial water change once a week with API water conditioner. Should I use filter carbon instead?

I havenā€™t tested nitrates or ammonia. I do a partial water change once a week with API water conditioner. Should I use filter carbon instead?[/QUOTE

Best of luck.
i did the water change and heā€™s still sitting in the corner. What else should I do? How long should I wait to check?

I havenā€™t tested nitrates or ammonia. I do a partial water change once a week with API water conditioner. Should I use filter carbon instead?
You need to test for nitrites and ammonia as quickly as you can. These are lethal to fish.

If you donā€™t have access to a water testing kit, your local live fish store should be able to do this for you.

You mention weekly water changes, during cycling itā€™s recommended you change 75% per week.

Frequency of water changes should depend upon your readings. When ammonia or nitrites are in the water, itā€™s recommended you perform daily water changes until there gone. Readings should stay at 0.

Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back