What's new

Help me Gender my Cory Cats!

BettaChel

Reaction score
Hello all! I’m relatively new to fish keeping but I love it so much! I got some new corys yesterday and I was wondering if anyone could help to identify their sexes if possible!
291921F5-DBDE-47B2-81ED-0804E9B700A6.jpeg

Here are the two Juliis. I think the one in the back is female and the one in front male? (guessing! lol)
93BEE867-078F-47BD-8DBE-ACB833DFB6A8.jpeg

Here’s one of the Albinos! I wanna say this one is female, while my other is male but again, just guessing based on size :0!!
6A60102B-D9F5-46CC-9C80-C1651068094C.jpeg

Here’s the two Albinos!

So yeah! Any help would be appreciated. If more pics are required just let me know!!

Also bonus: I’m pretty sure my betta thinks he’s one of them...
749A809E-04E1-41AA-8C61-053C158BA32D.jpeg

He keeps wanting to school with them I think (he doesn’t attack or bite, I keep a close eye on him, he just seems curious!) and sometimes one of the Juliis will follow him around. It’s kind of cute.

Attachments

Byron

Reaction score
Keep a very close eye on the Betta, this may well be the beginning of trouble. The fact you do not see it does not mean it is not there; fish have chemical signals announcing their aggression, etc, long before any physical interaction might (or might not) occur.

To the question of gender, this is not easy with most Corydoras as they have no external gender differences except for a couple of species (not these, though I cannot remember which at the moment). However, females will always be rounder when viewed from above, and males slimmer. This will be easier to see when the fish are more settled, and as they grow/age.

The spotted cories are Corydoras trilineatus, and the albinos likely C. aeneus or C. paleatus, both of these (and some other species) have an albino form.