The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Animallover562

Reaction score
Around 2 weeks ago I bought 3 new African dwarf frogs to live with my current frog (Iā€™ve had him for 4 years) who seemingly all looked healthy and happy!
All was well until 2 days ago, one of the new frogs suddenly died. I thought it was just because of stress or age, I found him dead floating at the top of the tank. Yesterday, another one of the new frogs dropped dead. This one was also floating at the top of the tank and had been for hours. I examined him and found his hand clumped together, a tattered piece of shed on his face and redder than usual veins on his legs.
Today, the 3rd new frog is floating almost motionless just like the other 2. No signs of sickness.
I just did a water parameter check and the levels are perfect (ph 7.4, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 0ppm) so I know this isnā€™t an issue with water quality. It is a 10 gallon tank that has been established for around 2 years now.
Iā€™m horrified that this is Chytrid fungus! I am about to quarantine my oldest frog in a hospital tank, should I treat him with anything? Iā€™ve heard that lamisil baths work to treat Chytrid and also the ā€œheat treatmentā€, are those potentially dangerous? Does this even sound like Chytrid?
ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! I love my frog so much and would be heart broken if I lost him to some mysterious disease. Thank you for reading.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Are the frogs in a tank of their own or with fish?
If the remaining frog is in his own tank, there is no reason to quarantine him in a different tank.

Chytrid fungus doesn't kill frogs that quickly. Frogs infected with the fungus usually stop eating and die over a week or two.

Poor water quality or a sudden change in water chemistry is the most likely cause of death.
If you had a dead frog in the tank for a few hours, there should be an ammonia reading. The fact you don't have an ammonia reading is interesting.

What sort of filter is on the tank and what is in the filter?

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you normally change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

How often and how do you clean the filter?

----------------------
All new fish, plants and frogs should be quarantined for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks before being added to an established tank.

I have no idea about Lamisil or heat treatment for frogs. A frog forum might have more info about that. :)

Thanks for the reply!
All of the frogs I had were in one 10 gallon tank together, I separated my older frog from the other almost dead frog so I could isolate him from the fungus (if it even isn't Chytrid). Since Chytrid takes roughly 2-3 months to kill an animal, I decided to try and treat him!
I did include an ammonia reading in my post, you mustā€™ve not seen it. It is at 0 ppm (I took photos of all the parameters so I could track any changes in the future). There were no issues with water quality.
For my tank I use a sponge filter (with control valve too), since they are such weak swimmers I had to find a working filter they could still swim with!
I do about 25% water changes every weekend and always dechlorinate my water with Prime water conditioner. I use a gravel vacuum about every other water change.
I clean my sponge filter by washing it out and sometimes refreshing the media at the bottom of the sponge filter (only one at a time, the whole entire filter is not cleaned at once). I do one of those things around every month.
As for quarantine, I dumbly decided to not do it this time. Many frogs Iā€™ve had in the past were always quarantined for 2-3 months and were always perfectly fine, I just really wanted to get Feylix his friends (heā€™s a very social frog). Lesson completely learned though!
I hope this information could help, thank you so much!

I know I'm late but that sounds like it is possible the newer frogs were in poor condition, however, I don't know how much trust you have with your LFS. The dead frog you described sounded like it was ammonia based. I am not as knowledgeable about parasitic and bacteria problems. I would say now that two have died I would assume the other two will be perfectly happy in a ten gallon (I have a tank just like it).

I know I'm late but that sounds like it is possible the newer frogs were in poor condition, however, I don't know how much trust you have with your LFS. The dead frog you described sounded like it was ammonia based. I am not as knowledgeable about parasitic and bacteria problems. I would say now that two have died I would assume the other two will be perfectly happy in a ten gallon (I have a tank just like it).

Thanks for the reply! All 3 new frogs ended up dying so I currently just have mine in a quarantine. The store I got them from honestly isnā€™t the best, itā€™s local but they arenā€™t very knowledgeable and donā€™t have great care. Once I did get the testing kit all of the parameters were perfect (ammonia 0 ppm), maybe there was a spike sometime before I got the test kit. The frogs I got couldā€™ve very well just been badly bred too and itā€™s just a coincidence they died periodically after each other.

Sorry about your frogs sorry im late. BE Weary of LFS.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back