Hello! I'm A Noob When It Comes To Aquariums...

What's cuter?

  • Seahorses

    Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Sea Stars

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    3
Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicalMermaid

Mostly New Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Location
US
hehe.gif
 I have no idea what I'm doing. I got a free 30 gallon tank from some weird lady off of craigslist. It has 2 cracks on one side of it that I plain to seal up with silicone despite the fact that it does not leak. (i've tested it in my bathtub). Where do I get salt water? how does this work? I would like to have a sea star... preferably a red chocolate chip one from petco since they're cheap. In the future I would like two seahorses, too. They can be best friends. Would they get along well with my sea star? What do I need to put in my tank for a "star fish"? What do they eat? Do they get lonely?
Dunno.gif
 

EllieJellyEllie

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 29, 2013
Messages
718
Reaction score
0
Location
US
I would recommend starting with freshwater because salt water is super expensive and tricky. I say you could have a nice community tank in you 30 gallon though. 
 

RRaquariums

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Joined
Feb 4, 2014
Messages
760
Reaction score
61
Location
US
I'd second what Ellie said I have a 25 gallon saltwater tank and I wouldn't suggest trying saltwater as your first thing.
Also hate to shoot your dreams down but a red chocolate chip sea star can get very big up to a foot or more and needs a very large tank with a deep sand bed to survive as for seahorses they are a very hard to keep because of there feeding needs and special tank requirements I know people who have been in the saltwater hobby for 10+ years that won't even try a seahorse tank because of how hard they are.
If you do still want to do saltwater then read up on the saltwater section of this forum and then do as much research as you can.
Some good fish for a 30 gallon would be a ocellaris clownfish, purple firefish, smaller species of goby or blenny.
If you have more questions about setting up a saltwater feel free to ask someone in the saltwater section they are great at helping :)
 

Dreamer03

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 11, 2013
Messages
481
Reaction score
2
Location
US
I would also say to try freshwater fish first and see how that goes before trying slatwater that way you can research and know what you doing
 
OP
M

MagicalMermaid

Mostly New Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Location
US
EllieJellyEllie said:
I would recommend starting with freshwater because salt water is super expensive and tricky. I say you could have a nice community tank in you 30 gallon though. 
but i need salt water for a star fish and why would you just assume i'm poor. that's rude.

RRaquariums said:
I'd second what Ellie said I have a 25 gallon saltwater tank and I wouldn't suggest trying saltwater as your first thing.
Also hate to shoot your dreams down but a red chocolate chip sea star can get very big up to a foot or more and needs a very large tank with a deep sand bed to survive as for seahorses they are a very hard to keep because of there feeding needs and special tank requirements I know people who have been in the saltwater hobby for 10+ years that won't even try a seahorse tank because of how hard they are.
If you do still want to do saltwater then read up on the saltwater section of this forum and then do as much research as you can.
Some good fish for a 30 gallon would be a ocellaris clownfish, purple firefish, smaller species of goby or blenny.
If you have more questions about setting up a saltwater feel free to ask someone in the saltwater section they are great at helping
smile.png
 
 
Dreamer03 said:
I would also say to try freshwater fish first and see how that goes before trying slatwater that way you can research and know what you doing
 
 
UHM can you guys like actually help me instead of saying i shouldn't have a saltwater tank just because it's too hard for YOU? thanks.
 
 
I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH DISGUSTING FISH. I WANT AN INVERTEBRATE ANIMAL OR A SEA HORSE OK? please do not suggest something like this again to me
 

RRaquariums

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Joined
Feb 4, 2014
Messages
760
Reaction score
61
Location
US
Alright what I said was you need a bigger tank then 30 gallons for either the star fish or the seahorse and I also said if you are really committed to doing saltwater then it would be best to do lots of reading in the saltwater section of this forum and go from there.
So if you get a bigger tank and if you can learn enough about keeping saltwater fish and inverts and if you can spend the needed time and money then you absolutely can have a seahorse or a sea star but you can't have them in a 30 gallon tank and I'd strongly suggest starting out with some easy saltwater inverts or fish that can help you learn how to keep the water perimeters stable and will help you establish a healthy tank
 

EllieJellyEllie

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 29, 2013
Messages
718
Reaction score
0
Location
US
Calm down, and be nice.
 
Im just saying it isnt a good idea and you can do it if you like but please don't come back and be like "My seahorses are dead!" because you didnt listen.
 
OP
M

MagicalMermaid

Mostly New Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Location
US
I do not need a bigger tank for a chocolate chip starfish. petco told me 30 gallons was big enough!! okay!!!! I just need to know where to purchase saltwater and the likes from and where to get the deco and stuff i'd need for a saltwater tank!

EllieJellyEllie said:
Calm down, and be nice.
 
Im just saying it isnt a good idea and you can do it if you like but please don't come back and be like "My seahorses are dead!" because you didnt listen.
what is there to listen to when people aren't being helpful and just telling me "don't do it. do freshwater instead" ? You be nice to me please! respect the fact that i love sea stars!
 

RRaquariums

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Joined
Feb 4, 2014
Messages
760
Reaction score
61
Location
US
Ok don't believe the petco people they don't know what they are talking about that star get up to a foot google it.
As for where to buy salt I get mine at doctors Foster and Smith.
 

EllieJellyEllie

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 29, 2013
Messages
718
Reaction score
0
Location
US
Petco told me I could put a betta in a bowl, you cannot. They grow to be HUGE and need DEEP substrate, please don't dont treat the fish awfully. Saltwater is hard, and expensive
 

GuppyGirl20

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 8, 2014
Messages
403
Reaction score
0
Location
US
The only one being rude on here, MagicalMermaid, is you! No one said you were poor, Ellie just said it was expense and since you admitted to knowing jack squat maybe you hadn't thought about that so she was just pointing it. All the other guys did give you advice. If you want those fish specifically then get a bigger tank and do you're research on the proper section of the forum. It's pointless to repeat information when it is already easily accessible.
No need to get all caps on us buddy just because you didn't like what people were saying to you. Tank size is crucial in both fresh or salt water so if you really want a starfish or sea horses they would definitely suffer from being in a tank that you have. 
 

RRaquariums

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Joined
Feb 4, 2014
Messages
760
Reaction score
61
Location
US
If you want to do it that's fine but you either need a bigger tank or you need to pick a different type of sea star.
 
OP
M

MagicalMermaid

Mostly New Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Location
US
They may grow up to a foot. Cool. But starting out, a sea star does NOT require a 60 gallon tank. 30 gallons is good and if it grows bigger i can buy a bigger tank for it..... but if it doesn't 
Dunno.gif
 

RRaquariums

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Joined
Feb 4, 2014
Messages
760
Reaction score
61
Location
US
The other big thing about sea stars is they need a very mature tank because of what they eat so you will need to have the tank running for a long time before he can be added so that gives you plenty of time to learn about how to do it but I'd still go with a different type of star
 
OP
M

MagicalMermaid

Mostly New Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Location
US
GuppyGirl20 said:
The only one being rude on here, MagicalMermaid, is you! No one said you were poor, Ellie just said it was expense and since you admitted to knowing jack squat maybe you hadn't thought about that so she was just pointing it. All the other guys did give you advice. If you want those fish specifically then get a bigger tank and do you're research on the proper section of the forum. It's pointless to repeat information when it is already easily accessible.
No need to get all caps on us buddy just because you didn't like what people were saying to you. Tank size is crucial in both fresh or salt water so if you really want a starfish or sea horses they would definitely suffer from being in a tank that you have. 
*your

Noone is even answering anything i'm asking. I've read the invertebrate section on sea stars. It leaves alot to be desired. OK? Chocolate chip starfish would not suffer in a 30 gallon tank. Maybe a 10 gallon. 
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Top