Hello fish fans.

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Spalders

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all. :good:
At time of posting this it's Sunday morning and water change day!!
After topping up I thought it would be a good idea to join a forum and share my (very limited) knowledge for you all to laugh at. At the same time I could harvest some tips for myself as I believe we never stop learning.

My current setup....
4ft 300 litre with Fluval 405 and 300w Fluval heater
Fluval Aquasky LED lighting
Air stone on a USB pump. Anyone else tried those? Fantastic little things!!
Mixture of real Anubias and a few fake larger plants with large wood and rocks
Fine black gravel substrate
12 Columbian redfin tetra, 2 clown loach (1 medium 1 large), and a pair of Apistogramma Agassizii.

I'm looking forward to having a chat with you.

All the best,
Steve.

Do you've the Fluval 300W E Series heater? I've the 200W version in a new tank. Wondering how you find the heater? Do you have a seperate thermometer in the tank and are readings accurate?

Welcome :hi:

I'm here to do my duty to nag for pics :snap::rofl:

Sounds like a lovely tank. I'd love a 4ft!! Though I just about completed space negotiations for a 3 ft. Next round. Next round I'll get 'em

Thanks for your reply. Ill see if I can get a photo for you shortly. :good:

It still looks a little sparse as I haven't manage to get all my planting in yet and I have no background on it but it won't take much more tinkering. I like a tank with plenty of swimming space for the fish to get their daily early morning bickering out of the way :lol:

I have a perfect wall in my dining room that's at an angle and is 4ft 3" so the 4ft fits there quite nicely. Shame it wasn't 6ft....

Do you've the Fluval 300W E Series heater? I've the 200W version in a new tank. Wondering how you find the heater? Do you have a seperate thermometer in the tank and are readings accurate?

Welcome :hi:
Thanks for the welcome.
Yes it is the 300E in a plastic cover and it seems fine. My thermometer is separate and it always sits nicely at the temperature I set however I am thinking of upgrading to a digital thermometer and see if it reads the same.

Thanks for the welcome.
Yes it is the 300E in a plastic cover and it seems fine. My thermometer is separate and it always sits nicely at the temperature I set however I am thinking of upgrading to a digital thermometer and see if it reads the same.

I forgot to buy a thermometer. No fish in tank so it's ok. I was reading some reviews and the stickers are the worse. I think digital ones that you put a reader in the tank & they sit outside the tank do well. Or an inkbird.

I've a cheapo digital one that sticks inside the tank from Amazon in my other tank. Whenever I tested it it was accurate

I forgot to buy a thermometer. No fish in tank so it's ok. I was reading some reviews and the stickers are the worse. I think digital ones that you put a reader in the tank & they sit outside the tank do well. Or an inkbird.

I've a cheapo digital one that sticks inside the tank from Amazon in my other tank. Whenever I tested it it was accurate

I don't tend to use the stickers, I currently have the glass type on the sucker. I've usually had no issues with them but I think it's time to upgrade. I've never seen the Inkbird before, thanks for the tip.

I don't tend to use the stickers, I currently have the glass type on the sucker. I've usually had no issues with them but I think it's time to upgrade. I've never seen the Inkbird before, thanks for the tip.

@seangee uses it with two thermometers. It's a nice safety feature.

I'm here to do my duty to nag for pics :snap::rofl:

IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG

Oh lovely tank! Bit of height in background plants & you'll be in running for Tank of the Month contest. @Fishmanic will remind you to kindly click the contest banner at top of the page and vote :rofl:

Really nice space in the tank. Love the Kribensis too. I've pretty hard water so he was outside my range unfortunately.

Oh lovely tank! Bit of height in background plants & you'll be in running for Tank of the Month contest. @Fishmanic will remind you to kindly click the contest banner at top of the page and vote :rofl:

Really nice space in the tank. Love the Kribensis too. I've pretty hard water so he was outside my range unfortunately.
It's the larger plants that I plan to add when I carry out the next water change.
He looks like a Krib but he's an Apistogramma Agassizii. I think he's a Krib in disguise :lol:

Oh
It's the larger plants that I plan to add when I carry out the next water change.
He looks like a Krib but he's an Apistogramma Agassizii. I think he's a Krib in disguise :lol:

Oh I REALLY an Apistogramma but was definitely not suited to tank so was tempted instead by the mad looking fake mohawk - Forktail Blue-eyed Rainbowfish. Nicely stocked tank ya got there!

Attachments

• mkCYA4DDJh.jpg
    mkCYA4DDJh.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 185
Oh

Oh I REALLY an Apistogramma but was definitely not suited to tank so was tempted instead by the mad looking fake mohawk - Forktail Blue-eyed Rainbowfish. Nicely stocked tank ya got there!
Those little rainbows are stunning. I'd love a species tank full of them.
I'm a big fan of rainbowfish and I was going to stock my tank with them. However my tank came with a single Columbian tetra and I felt sorry for him as he'd been alone for a couple of years so I bought him some friends. I do like them so it's a win win I suppose. I'm thinking of adding some Serpae tetra but finding good quality fish with strong colour seems difficult.

Serpae are a nice looking fish alright. I like the smaller ember tetra too. That same rosy colour. There are plenty here from UK that might advise good stockists. @AdoraBelle Dearheart @essjay and @mbsqw1d are all UK based. I'm in ireland with limited & expensive fish choices :rofl:

I was gonna do a 60cm length tank with just Forktail but actually now looking at building a nice community around them in my new 90cm length tank.

Serpae are a nice looking fish alright. I like the smaller ember tetra too. That same rosy colour. There are plenty here from UK that might advise good stockists. @AdoraBelle Dearheart @essjay and @mbsqw1d are all UK based. I'm in ireland with limited & expensive fish choices :rofl:

I was gonna do a 60cm length tank with just Forktail but actually now looking at building a nice community around them in my new 90cm length tank.
I have found some nice looking Serpae in a LFS only a few miles away but I dislike their customer service. A few days ago my daughter bought 4 Panda Garra at 20 GBP each and one died within 24 hours. We contacted the store and they asked us to take a water sample with us as well as the dead fish, which we happily did. They tested the water and decided the green result meant high ammonia levels. I argued that we always do a water test (with the exact same kit the LFS use) before we buy fish and all parameters were 100% fine. I also had photographs on my phone of the water test from the day we bought the fish. (I'm sad, I keep a record of my tank and my daughters tank water parameters). Basically they called me a liar. I queried why all her Ornate tetra and the other 3 Panda were fine as the Tetra would certainly have croaked if the ammonia levels were as high as they claimed. They had no answer and said no replacement fish or refund would be issued. So because of this I refuse to buy their fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back