What's new

Hello fish fans.

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰
Apologies OP, it's not right for personal drama to spill over into an intro thread, I'm sorry! I was in the middle of writing a welcome post to you yesterday when I got called away then had to do stuff with my own tanks, never finished the reply. So again, I'm sorry, and a belated :hi:

Serpae are a nice looking fish alright. I like the smaller ember tetra too. That same rosy colour. There are plenty here from UK that might advise good stockists. @AdoraBelle Dearheart @essjay and @mbsqw1d are all UK based. I'm in ireland with limited & expensive fish choices :rofl:

I was gonna do a 60cm length tank with just Forktail but actually now looking at building a nice community around them in my new 90cm length tank.
I can't help when it comes to fish suppliers I'm afraid, mine came from my LFS and I'm in the South West, but will share any good online retailers I find later, since I'll probably be looking for a good one myself to get some more unique fish that LFS doesn't usually stock. :)
I have found some nice looking Serpae in a LFS only a few miles away but I dislike their customer service. A few days ago my daughter bought 4 Panda Garra at 20 GBP each and one died within 24 hours. We contacted the store and they asked us to take a water sample with us as well as the dead fish, which we happily did. They tested the water and decided the green result meant high ammonia levels. I argued that we always do a water test (with the exact same kit the LFS use) before we buy fish and all parameters were 100% fine. I also had photographs on my phone of the water test from the day we bought the fish. (I'm sad, I keep a record of my tank and my daughters tank water parameters). Basically they called me a liar. I queried why all her Ornate tetra and the other 3 Panda were fine as the Tetra would certainly have croaked if the ammonia levels were as high as they claimed. They had no answer and said no replacement fish or refund would be issued. So because of this I refuse to buy their fish.
That's awful, my LFS has a 48 hour guarantee, I'm sure they wouldn't have interrogated you like that, not worth losing your long term business over £20. @AilyNC is right that they were short sighted to treat you like that, I'd be furious too and never buy anything from them again! I hope you find a much better store.

I hope you stick around and continue to share, beautiful tank :D

Apologies OP, it's not right for personal drama to spill over into an intro thread, I'm sorry! I was in the middle of writing a welcome post to you yesterday when I got called away then had to do stuff with my own tanks, never finished the reply. So again, I'm sorry, and a belated :hi:

No apology necessary and thanks for the welcome. :) I would like to stay around if I may, it seems very friendly and knowledgeable here. I could certainly do with some hints and tips.:good:

Very pretty fish the Apisto's. Mine seem quite placid and happy just picking at the substrate and bogwood.
Maybe you can post a few pictures of them? I'm embarrassed as I don't know the proper name, but I am quite fond of the purple and yellow ones ♡

I can't help when it comes to fish suppliers I'm afraid, mine came from my LFS and I'm in the South West, but will share any good online retailers I find later, since I'll probably be looking for a good one myself to get some more unique fish that LFS doesn't usually stock. :)

That's awful, my LFS has a 48 hour guarantee, I'm sure they wouldn't have interrogated you like that, not worth losing your long term business over £20. @AilyNC is right that they were short sighted to treat you like that, I'd be furious too and never buy anything from them again! I hope you find a much better store.

Just for the benefit of the doubt, was the employee also the manager? Could have just been a bad employee and if so, you could talk to the manager.

I wouldn't keep cories with clown loaches. You do know how big the loaches get? (They are also shoaling species so you actually need a few more of them).
Maybe @AdoraBelle Dearheart should expand on that
Since this comment was aimed at me:

1. Clown loaches are big fish, and they need a bigger tank than 4 foot long - 6 feet is the usually recommended minimum
2. Clown loaches are highly social shoaling fish which need to be kept in a group of at least 6.
3. Loaches in general do not mix well with cories because of their different feeding behaviour (loaches are aggressive feeders while cories are not and cories can lose out), and because clown loaches get so big, cories would by tiny in comparison.

Since this comment was aimed at me:

1. Clown loaches are big fish, and they need a bigger tank than 4 foot long - 6 feet is the usually recommended minimum
2. Clown loaches are highly social shoaling fish which need to be kept in a group of at least 6.
3. Loaches in general do not mix well with cories because of their different feeding behaviour (loaches are aggressive feeders while cories are not and cories can lose out), and because clown loaches get so big, cories would by tiny in comparison.
I don't think Robert Clowney Junior will be in my tank much longer. He is getting a bit large and really needs a bigger tank than my 4ft. I may ask my friend to home him, he has a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft.

Most reactions

trending

Back