Hello Friends

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

communityfluvalroma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I am new to the forum and relatively new to keeping tropical fish. I have kept tropical fish for 6 or so years, but I haven't had a tank for the last 10 years or so.

Yesterday, I purchased the Fluval Roma 240 Aquarium and Cabinet. I decided on this particular aquarium as opposed to the smaller tanks in the range, due to the tank being specifically designed to support an external filter.

The tank is being delivered on Wednesday this week. along with everything else needed to get the tank set up.

I am going to have a 'community aquarium', with several live plants and natural rock and driftwood.

I am intending on carrying out a fishless cycle. In my previous experience (which may be wrong and i would appreciate advice here), I have used API Stress Coat and API Stress Zyme along with fish food flakes to complete the cycle. This method has worked for me in the past. Do you agree with this method? What changes would you make, if any?

I am also planning on adding several 'hardy' plants at the beginning of the cycle, with the hope that this will help. I haven't done this before, so any opinions on this would also be greatly appreciated?

Purchased:
  1. Fluval Roma 240 LED Aquarium and Cabinet (includes Fluval 306 External Filter, Fluval M300 Heater, Marina LCD Thermometer and 6500k LED Lighting)
  2. Hugo Kamishi Black Glass Gravel
  3. Hugo Kamishi Snow White Sand
  4. API Stress Coat & API Stress Zyme
  5. API Freshwater Master Kit
  6. Aqua One Vac-A-Tank Gravel Cleaner 16"
  7. Fluval Mopani Driftwood - Large
  8. Tetramin Tropical Flake
  9. Marina Fish Net
  10. Marina Medium Algae Magnet
Are there any other essential items that I've missed?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post. All feedback is greatly welcomed and I can't wait to share my experiences with you and vice versa.

Carl

Don't get sand and gravel, they mix and look like crap. Just have sand or gravel.

Get 2 nets, one about 10-12 inches, and one about 6-8 inches. It's a lot easier to catch fish with two nets rather than one. You set up the big net against the glass and use the smaller net to guide the fish into the big net.

Don't get LCD thermometers because they aren't that accurate. Get a glass one that floats around in the water. Visit the pet shop when you look for thermometers and check them all at the same time. Buy one that has the same temperature as most or all of the others. Some thermometers are not made well and give a wrong reading.

Thanks for your reply Colin.

I previously had a small patch of sand at the front right of my tank and it worked well, as not all bottom feeders appreciate gravel. I will never stop it from mixing, but it is only 1/6 sand to gravel, so the mix should be minimum.

Great advice regarding the nets, I never thought about that, thank you.

Yes, I do intend on buying a glass thermometer. The LCD thermometer comes with the tank.

If you want sand and gravel, put the sand in a small shallow plastic container like a Tupperware container. Put the container in the tank and move the gravel around the container. Have the gravel about 5-10mm lower than the container and the fish can have their sand pit and the gravel.

I agree, gravel mixed with sand looks terrible. I personally prefer sand.

I appreciate the feedback. I will try out Colins suggestion.

The aim is to achieve the best possible habitat for all the fish.

I appreciate the feedback. I will try out Colins suggestion.

The aim is to achieve the best possible habitat for all the fish.
That’s should be the goal for all of us! ;)

I am also planning on adding several 'hardy' plants at the beginning of the cycle, with the hope that this will help. I haven't done this before, so any opinions on this would also be greatly appreciated?
Anacharis is my number 1 suggestion. It grows fast and looks great. I say get about 10-30 stems (depending on your budget) and go from there. Plant them at the back of your tank.

After they get tall, you can trim them and replant the trimmings.

This sounds like it’s going to be an awesome tank, good luck! :fish:

That’s should be the goal for all of us! ;)

Anacharis is my number 1 suggestion. It grows fast and looks great. I say get about 10-30 stems (depending on your budget) and go from there. Plant them at the back of your tank.

After they get tall, you can trim them and replant the trimmings.

This sounds like it’s going to be an awesome tank, good luck! :fish:

I’ve just googled them and I do recognise the plant. Great suggestion, thank you.

Update:

I have just placed the following order for live plants:
  1. 3x Anacharis Bunch (Thank you PheonixKingZ)
  2. 1x Dwarf Hairgrass
  3. 1x Echinodorus Tenellus Broad Leaf
  4. 1x Eriocaulon Cinereum
  5. 1x Juncus Repens
  6. 1x Moneywort
This should give me a good start and help with the fishless cycle. All of the above plants are 'easy' plants to keep. I have ordered 1 Litre of Easy-Life ProFito to help the plants health and growth.

I have also ordered 10kg of Black Lava Rock, which has many great benefits for an aquarium and I will be attaching a couple of the plants to the Lava Rock.

Hopefully I have managed to cover everything. The tank and accessories are being delivered on Wednesday. The live plants and lava rock is being delivered on Thursday.

I will update you all with some photos on Friday (assuming the set up goes to plan and items are delivered on time).

Sounds good to me! The plants you mentioned above are really easy to grow, depending on your lighting and water temperature.

This an OK picture of my 10gMain plant is Anacharis)
4299F05B-DE10-4AA4-BAED-197FB9953F6A.jpeg

As you can see, it looks great. I really do need to trim it. :fish:

What is the optimum temperature for fish and plants? Or is that the million dollar question?
I keep mine at 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Because of the fact that most of these plants originate from tropical climates, they grow better in warmer water.

Anacharis originated in South America and it is very warm there. Depending on what type of fish you plan to keep, I suggest anywhere from 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back