Hello Everyone!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Really? I didn't know that about the Java ferns, OK I'll fix them tomorrow.
I'm gonna do some research on them.

Thanks

Ok fish fans,

I have another question for you!

I have this amazing piece of driftwood my parents found and I think it or a piece would work perfectly within my tank (something for my java ferns to grow on) BUT! I want to do all the research I can before I place it in.

I am planning to wait a month or so before using this wood so I'm asking you all. What do I need to do in order to prepare it for an aquarium? I saw a video on YouTube where he soaked it for a week before using but I want to know the little things they don't tell you.

Here's the piece..

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag244/carmstrong175/A710706B-F38D-4605-8A1B-04BAE4E02AE5_zpsa6nt4mbi.jpg

Let me know what you think?

Ciao!

Interesting bit of wood. Where'd your parents find it? I -think- it's safe but wait for others to say as the whole reason I pay more money for wood from LFS and online is 'cause I don't know what exactly is safe and what isn't.

You'll want to soak it in hot water for a few days and scrub it though I recommend that for killing any bacteria it may have.
This will also take out some tannins but you don't have to do that, these will color your water brown which is perfectly fine and can be beneficial for your fish but some people don't like the coloration. :)

My parents found it washed up on the beach off Lake Erie a year ago.

They had ur displayed on the back deck but decided this year they didn't want it anymore.

Luckly for me!

Any info or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

So I walked into work this morning and realized that I lost all my fish :(

Hobart survived and he's back in a little vase for the time being, he seems ok and unaffected (I hope)

I knew it was a possibility because the tank was so new and I didn't have an extra tank to put them in until I cycled the new one, 

Now the tank is empty (correction, the snail survived) and i'm going to try and run it for the next three weeks with just the snail before doing anything else.

Yes, this has been a learning curve.. hopefully I will learn, lol

Any other advice would be appreciated.

~ C

Yes thats what i was afraid of, you over stocked an unclyced tank with delicate fish, so most likeky ammonia spiked and killed all the tetras. Do a large water change as mich as you can and watch ammomia spikes, the frog would be better off to cye with the snail ad its easier to keep track of ammonia with more water.

sawickib said:
Yes thats what i was afraid of, you over stocked an unclyced tank with delicate fish, so most likeky ammonia spiked and killed all the tetras. Do a large water change as mich as you can and watch ammomia spikes, the frog would be better off to cye with the snail ad its easier to keep track of ammonia with more water.

I'm going to test the ammonia after work today and see, ive been researching all morning about this so hopefully I can understand it all 

Online it was saying that You can add old filter's from a friends tank to help develop the natural bacteria within your own tank, is this a good idea?

She has a 10 gal tank using a Whisper Filtration system, so the cartridges is what she will be giving me.

What you think? 

I don't know how healthy her tank is however so i'm guessing the long way is the safest

It would help but that would probably start a miny cycle in her tank which would be bad for her fish. Id just make sure no ammonia spikes and look into fish in cycling i cant get the artilce atm but either you will find it or someone else can refer it to you :)

I'm so sorry for your losses. :( I'd hold off on getting any more fish now so you can do a fish-less cycle by following THIS.
You'll want a liquid test kit and some ammonia which you can get at Ace Hardware (you can also order it online).

It may take some time but it is worth it in the end. It also gives you time to plan on your stocking :)

Ya, I'm planning to wait at least three weeks till I get fish.
The pet store suggested getting a couple zebra danios to aid the process, figured id get them on week three.

I've been researching aqua-scaping and I started soaking my driftwood today.
I really want to make a gorgeous natural landscape with all kinds of plants so yes it will be worth the wait.

Zebra danios require 4ft tanks im afraid, can you do me a favor and before you buy any fish post on here first because petsmart gives terrible info.

No, do not get danios. Then you will just be doing another fish-in cycle
confused.gif
Also like Saw says they need 4ft long tanks.
They're also sub-tropical so don't do well at the temperatures your ADF likes and the other fish you are likely interested in (such as the cardinal tetras).

You can't really choose what time to add fish as you don't know how long the cycle will take as it varies from tank to tank.
Did you read that article? I'm not trying to be pushy or rude just want to make sure you understand everything
smile.png

Can't wait to see what you end up doing with the plants. Be sure to have a look at the picture & journal section on this site, there are lots of lovely tanks that may give you ideas!

@Saw
Really!!?? That's horrible..
It Wasn't Petsmart that suggested the Danios but a smaller PetValu which iss independently owned.
That's a shame, my friend has a few danios in her tank and she only has a 10gal :(
Hopefully they will be ok, she's been running it since may.

I'm not sure what fish I'm going to get yet, I'm basically going to start over. My local fish places only have fish like the danios, guppies, platys, tetras, scissor tails, Sword tails, etc that they 'say' work In my tank.
There is a place about an hours drive away that has a massive stock but I haven't looked into them yet.

@ Ninj
I briefly read that article but will have to look into it further if I decide to use the ammonia method.

I'm just getting used to the test kits and their readings and meanings, learning lots as I go.

I'm going to take this slow, and yes I will post my suggested fish stock before purchasing.

I know it's sort of long but definitely worth reading. It should help explain a lot :) And at the bottom you'll see there is a link to a thread on cycling questions so if you get stuck you can post there and someone will help.

Danios, scissor tails, and swordtails would not work in your tank unfortunately. I'd definitely go to that other place if/when you have time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back