Hardy Biological Starters

andrew84uk

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi, I have set up my tank and it is all running good. Added some Nutrafin Aqua plus and made sure temps are around 21-27 degrees.

What type of hardy fish could I add to start a good Bilogical process? I do not want to be doing the fishless cycle because I would like to see atleast a few hardy fish in my tank to start with.

Is there a link somewhere on the site to a guide to hardy tropical fish?

Thanks,
Andrew
 
Hi Andrew,

I would urge you to re-consider the fishless cycle. A fish-in cycle, even with 'hardy' fish is very detrimental to the fish's health, and you will probably suffer some deaths or at least long-term health impairment.

A fishless cycle eliminates that and allows you to keep healthy fish from the outset.

If I can't convince you to fishless cycle, Zebra Danios are a good fish to start with, but please consider the fishless cycle option in more detail.

A fish-in cycle is more work for you as you have to constantly perform partial water changes and it's very dis-heartening to see one (or all) of your fish die due to rushing into it.

If only i had a penny for everyone who wanted fish straight away like you do, and then later on said "I'll never do a fish-in cycle again".................

Good luck with it either way.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 
Hi Andrew,
<SNIP>
Cheers :good:

BTT

Hi backtotropical, thanks for the reply. The real reason I was going to add hardy fish is because there is so many opinions on forums and from the LPS/LFS and it is annoying that they all say different ways of doing things. It is very confusing as a new starter to tropicals and I would however do the fishless cycle if there was/gaurenteed correct information on the whole aspect. It is very sad to see that people have their own opinions and not an overall tropical home user guide e.t.c.

I know this forum has a cycle guide but to me that is not enough as it is paragraphs very hard for simpletons like me.

EDIT: Ignore. I however now do see a list on the guide!

I can pop to the LPS/LFS today to pick up the recommended kit today.

Many Thanks,
Andrew
 
I was the same as you mate, i wanted fish in my tank asap and im gutted. It will be 7 weeks now since i set the tank up and im still not quite done cycling yet. When you have fish in cycle you need to change alot of water daily which slows down the cycling process, it will be about 3 months total before my entire tank is cycled properly.

Since having it set up iv lost:

4 Neon Tetra
4 Petasora (sp) Barbs
1 Amona Shrimp
1 Female Guppy
1 male Guppy

I really would recomend getting some ammonia solution and using that. the tank will be ready faster (I think you could add fish after 3-4 weeks easily) and you will save money, and its alot kinder on the fish. I will be doing fishless cycles from now on. If you really are desperate for fish now nothing will stop you, but this way will take ALOT longer and be more costly. Zebras are supposed to be good fish for this, i have not tried them. Iv had 6 Copper Harlequins in there since day 1 and they are all still ok though.

Hope this helps and good luck :)
 
Ok seen your post mate.

What you need is your tank setup as if it had fish in it. So:

Gravel, ornaments, plants, heater and filter.

Then all you do is, instead of the fish poo'ing in there and creating ammonia, you add ammonia to the water.

Buy yourself a test kit, decent ones are as cheap as £14.99.
 
I have always cycled my tanks with fish in them and don't tend to lose any from water problems.
i tend to leave the set up tank 1 or 2 days for the plants to settle in then i tend to go for a few small fish.
i recommend getting corydoras or other bottom cleaning fish first as these seem to help the tank cycle,
I also tend to go for mollies, guppies, minnows or other hardy first fish, although the main thing is not to get too many at once, just 4 to 6 will be enough including bottom feeders and then gradually add more over the next few weeks.
the type of fish you should start with also depends on the type of water you have. I choose fish that can handle hard ph8 water as this is the water i use. Other types of water will need different fish.
 
I have printed the guide off and will be popping down to LFS/LPS as soon as I have read this guide for the equipment. I can see that Ammonia, test kit and a pipette is needed. Thanks you guys. I really would prefer it not to loose fish so I think I will stick with the fishless cycle method.

Any you guys/Guyettes lol know if there is something like a spreadsheet I could print out to write down my chemicals or test sheet (I have not yet seen this on the forum) and would like to be able to write down all my findings so I could relate to my tanks process.

Regards,
Andrew
 
Hi Andrew

You could always ask your lfs if they could give you a small amount of mature filter material??
That would give your tank a good kick start.

As said, i wouldn't rush out and get fish. It could be detrimental to the fishes health and your pocket!

Cheers
 
I have printed the guide off and will be popping down to LFS/LPS as soon as I have read this guide for the equipment. I can see that Ammonia, test kit and a pipette is needed. Thanks you guys. I really would prefer it not to loose fish so I think I will stick with the fishless cycle method.

Any you guys/Guyettes lol know if there is something like a spreadsheet I could print out to write down my chemicals or test sheet (I have not yet saw this on the forum) and would like to be able to write down all my findings so I could relate to my tanks process.

Regards,
Andrew


You will need to test for ammonia and nitrIte, and eventually nitrAte (as a minimum). The best value kit i've found is the APi test kit. Its liquid based and comes with everything you need including a place to record your results

Cheers
 
I've been keeping fish for 5 years and not yet needed to use chemicals or tests on them, i do water changes every 3 to 6 months dependiing on the size of the tank and rarely lose any fish at all, most of those i do lose tend to be due to aggression rather than anything else, just make sure you pay attention to your fish and choose carefully at the pet shop, only ever choose healthy active fish with no unusual spots, scrapes or behaviour as these are the ones who will die.
 
Yeah i paid £19.99 for my kit, it comes with:

PH test
Ammonia Test
Nitrite test
Nitrate Test
2 Glass vials
1 sucker :P

Its not bad when you get used to testing, imagine its a flow chart you start with:

Ammonia Turns into > Nitrite Turns into > Nitrate which is cleansed by water changes.

Test daily, at least you wont need to do water changes :P
 
Hi Andrew

You could always ask your lfs if they could give you a small amount of mature filter material??
That would give your tank a good kick start.

As said, i wouldn't rush out and get fish. It could be detrimental to the fishes health and your pocket!

Cheers

Thanks for this. I will ask once I go down. I won't be long.
 
only ever choose healthy active fish with no unusual spots, scrapes or behaviour as these are the ones who will die.

Not always. The last bronze cory's i bought were a picture of health. All 4 have since died but the sterbai, who weren't particularly fantastic are doing very well.

In fish keeper there are never certainties?

Oh, just to mention that giving advice like never testing and water changes every 6 months isn't particularly usefull to a novice.

Cheers
 
Is it a planted tank? if you are looking to add plants then i would suggest you get them now. IF you are not getting plants, then get a danio. I've always started my cycles w/ them and non of them have died or had health issues until one of my angels snacked on one ^^. If you are looking for fish-less cycling, instead of messing w/ all the chemicals, just put some food in the water and let it rot. (w/ filter on of course). once it clears, get some danios. I wouldn't bother though since danios can def stand the cycling period. (provide u do some partial water changes) How big is the tank anyways? The reason why you should get plants now instead of later is that it does remove some the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite from the water. And since plants do starve the bacteria, the bacteria level wont get as high as a non plant tank, but if u are planning to add plants later, then there is no point in going through the big cycle. you should add 3-4 inch of fish for cycling so that enough bacteria grows to carry heavier loads, otherwise, if you don't get enough in the beginning, u might have some spikes later down the road when u add bigger/more fish. (read up on how much you should start off with cause I'm a bit rusty on that) However, if you have plants then don't worry about it too much. (Warning! Plants are great! but work only if they are growing and not rotting in your water. u need good/enough lighting for the plant, CO2 injection (there are DIY yeast co2 generators w/ yeast/pop can/sugar), and a good substrate w/ good ion exchange rate.) So if you have plants then get a little more fish (4 danios?). ANYONE! CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG but it has worked for me. I just don't want to give bad info^^
 

Most reactions

Back
Top