Hardy Biological Starters

Andrew where are you located you might be able to get some mature filter from someone on the forum.
 
I've been keeping fish for 5 years and not yet needed to use chemicals or tests on them, i do water changes every 3 to 6 months dependiing on the size of the tank and rarely lose any fish at all, most of those i do lose tend to be due to aggression rather than anything else

Vampess13,

Your fish will be alive in spite of your severely lacking maintenance schedule, and not because of it. That i am sure of.

You will likely have what is commonly known as Old Tank Syndrome. I'm guessing that the fish you lost to aggression were newly introduced to the tank when they died? It's not aggression, its that the fish you have had long-term have adapted to your likely deplorable water conditions, however fish newly introduced are not used to it and encounter severe shock when put into your tank, resulting in deaths. I strongly advise you to get a test kit and you will see that your pH is through the floor (probably 5.5 or there abouts) and your nitrate level will be off the chart. I agree with Bronzecat that this is just plain bad advice to give a newbie.

Andrew, Pat3612 has given you some good advice there. Look into getting some mature media. There is a list of members who are willing to donate some here. Have a read through it to see if there is anyone local to you. :good:

BTT
 
Andrew where are you located you might be able to get some mature filter from someone on the forum.

I am located in Uk, Tyne & Wear, Sunderland/Durham. I have added to my signature in the hope somebody lives close to me. I would be greatful if somebody did have mature media but also still would love to learn about the cycle. I posted my results on my other thread as I ventured out today for a test kit and ammonia.

I see: TYNE & WEAR/SOUTH SHIELDS Smurfy lives near me. I will give him a try!

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/Tropical.../Cycle-Results/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/Tropical.../Cycle-Results/[/URL]

Thanks you guys.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top