Had To Switch Out Filters, Will This Hurt The Cycling?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I put two ten gallon filters on my 15 gallon tank. Then bought a new filter for my 10 gallon tank. All went well until the cloudiness wasn't clearing on the 10 gallon (been like this for almost a week now). So, I went and took one of the 10 gallon filters I had on the 15 gallon (which was on the 10 gallon to begin with before buying the new filter) and put it back on the 10 gallon. The water is actually starting to clear up now within almost over night of doing this.

Will this effect the cycling process on the 10 gallon?

I looked at the 15 gallon and it has algae growing on the heater. I just noticed this morning. I haven't tested the tanks recently but I will sometime today. Hopefully this is a good sign.

I plan on buying a new filter for the 15 gallon as I would want to keep two going on that tank. Would that mess up the process with the 15 gallon? I thought about putting the newer filter on it since I already have a good running 10 gallon filter on the tank. But since it was not doing well with the 10 gallon I figured it might just be best to take it back and get something else.

Hopefully this is not all confusing and makes sense. 

This is somewhat confusing.

But putting a brand new filter on the tank would have removed the cycle in the 10 gallon as that's where the bacteria is mostly kept, Within the filter.

Putting the 15 gallon filter onto the 10 gallon tank will help if it was cycled to start with, I suggest cutting some of the media up and putting it into your new filter.

Am abit rusty as I've been away from the forums :p

Basically there were two ten gallon filters on the 15 gallon tank. One of the filters was originally bought for the ten gallon and was on there for a while. Then we got the 15 gallon but the people we bought it from had a 10 gallon filter for the tank. So instead of trying to fit a 20 gallon filter on the 15 gallon (the way the top is on that tank a 20 gallon filter wouldn't fit). I figured we would put two 10 gallon filters on the 15 gallon and just buy the 10 gallon tank a new filter. Which is pretty much what we did but the filter on the 10 gallon is not clearing the tank like it suppose to. Both tanks were set up the same day. So, last night I took the filter that used to be on the 10 gallon and put it back (I didn't clean it or remove the water, just put it straight back onto the 10 gallon tank). I dismantle the newer filter and letting it dry out so I can take it back. There is still one of the 10 gallon filters running on the 15 gallon but I plan on buying a new 10 gallon filter to put on the 15 gallon since the newer filter I have now didn't work out for the 10 gallon.

Jeez, even typing this out seems confusing still. I haven't slept much so I have a habit of rambling even while typing, lol. 

I too am confused by your desrcription. Were either of these tanks cycled? If not how are you cycling them? Moving filters back and forth repeatedly is not normally a good plan.

The cloudyness has nothing to do with the cycling bacteria. The cloudiness is actually heterotrophic bacteria multiplying at a rapid rate. They are feeding on excess organic nutrients in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back