guppy tank smells bad right after tank cleaning

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i originally wanted a few young guppies for my red eared slider. the vet said the turtle would benefit from live food. the neighbor gave me some (fancy) guppies- male and female. the turtle won’t eat guppies and i have too many guppies. i have downsized by giving guppies to Petco. my question is how many guppies should be in a 20 gallon tank? i just bought a new Cascade 600 internal filter, which is supposed to clean a 50 gallon tank. also i have the small Tetra Whisper 10i despite the filters and regular water changes, the tank smells bad after 2 days after filter cleaning and water change. i have used API. accuclear and Fluval biological cleaners. what can i do to keep the tank from smelling bad?

Are you vacuuming the substrate really well during cleanings? That’s where all the gunk falls. You can add charcoal to absorb odors.

If you have a turtle in there that's where the smell is coming from. Turtles are dirty.
Oh gosh, I agree! Forgot about the turtle. I use to sit down in my den and could smell my turtle tank from across the room when dirty. Good way to get me to clean the tank though.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media in a bucket of tank water.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence.

Remove covers form the tank.

Open doors and windows to let the room air out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back