Guppies how do I care for them

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Guppy care ain't that hard... For there's not that much to it...
You can keep them at room temperature (so, a heater is not needed). They eat almost everything you offer. Short finned guppies can be kept in moderate soft water till hard. And large finned guppies can be kept in harder water. In softer water the fins of those large finned guppies get torn.

Ok morning of cycleing day 2 I made a measles gift light this is the one I use for my indoor fig tree

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 47
Have you read the cycling articles mentioned earlier in this thread?

"Cycling" involves adding pure ammonia and testing ammonia, nitrite, lastly nitrate over a period of 2 to 8 weeks. But you mentioned having plants, so I would not myself add ammonia as you can kill them. What are the plants--a photo of the tank with the plants would answer this. "Silent cycle" using plants is easier.

Those are slow growing plants which not be enough to remove all the ammonia made by fish. More plants, fast growing plants would be a better option, especially floating plants.

Java ferns should not be planted in the substrate. The have rhizome, that thick stem like thing which has leaves growing out of one side and roots from the other, which rots if it is buried. It is possible to have the rhizome laid on top of the substrate but it too easy to accidentally cover it, so it is usually grown attached to decor.

It can either be tied to decor with sewing thread or fishing line, or glues using superglue made with cyanoacrylate.

For a 10 gallon you need smallish plants. There are small species of cryptocoryne (crypts), for example. This site is useful for plant suggestions - it can be searched by 'difficulty' - I would stick with 'easy' for now. Plants listed as rhizomatous usually have to be attched to decor.

can you give me a list of all the equipment I need to cycle?
Here’s the sticky about cycling 🙂

None of my local shops stock plants, except for the odd couple, so I have to buy mine on-line. American members will be able to suggest on-line shops.

I’m going to a big aquatic plant and fish store in Sherman oaks tomorrow any recommendations on what plants I should buy there?

I am trying to get my plants onto rock but it won’t work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 37

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back