Growth On Fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

I added the salt, and today I checked on them and they all have red spots that look real irritated. Is this because of the anchor worms?

Also, am I supposed to re-add the salt at any time of this period? Or just leave the salt in there for 2-4 weeks? Also, when Iā€™m finished using the salt do I do a water change?

Attachments

• 107DC5DE-A41A-488D-BF2A-C6842566509C.jpeg
    107DC5DE-A41A-488D-BF2A-C6842566509C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
  • 5188F408-0D50-4BF9-8BF2-2394DAAC4A66.jpeg
    5188F408-0D50-4BF9-8BF2-2394DAAC4A66.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
  • 4AC941B1-53C8-4025-8BA7-8019A728DC8F.jpeg
    4AC941B1-53C8-4025-8BA7-8019A728DC8F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
Add 4 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2-4 weeks and then stop using it.

When you do your weekly water change and gravel clean the substrate, then add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank, so the salinity (salt level) in the tank remains stable.

After 4 weeks of using salt, do normal water changes but don't add salt to the new water.

---------------
The red patches are probably from anchorworm.

In future, just photograph the fish in the tank so you don't stress them by chasing and catching them.

Add 4 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2-4 weeks and then stop using it.

When you do your weekly water change and gravel clean the substrate, then add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank, so the salinity (salt level) in the tank remains stable.

After 4 weeks of using salt, do normal water changes but don't add salt to the new water.

---------------

The red patches are probably from anchorworm.

In future, just photograph the fish in the tank so you don't stress them by chasing and catching them.
Oops, okay, I will!

So, Iā€™ve been pulling off all the anchor worms from the fish about everyday and almost every other day, theyā€™re covered in them. I added the salt into the tank. Is there anything else I can do? They seem like theyā€™re really suffering.

The orange goldfish is doing the worst. He lays on the bottom of the tank all day and heā€™s developed these black patches all over him. Heā€™s never had them before. What is that?

Their red patches seem to be healing well though.

Attachments

• 54D75662-30BB-435F-B85E-F4264433D8CE.jpeg
    54D75662-30BB-435F-B85E-F4264433D8CE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
The black is bruising.

If you move the fish into a clean container with clean water it should stop baby anchorworm attacking the fish. Otherwise do a 90% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day or two to reduce the number of baby anchorworms in the tank.

Add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (slat level) in the aquarium remains constant.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter when you do the water changes to remove any anchorworm from that.

The black is bruising.

If you move the fish into a clean container with clean water it should stop baby anchorworm attacking the fish. Otherwise do a 90% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day or two to reduce the number of baby anchorworms in the tank.

Add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (slat level) in the aquarium remains constant.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter when you do the water changes to remove any anchorworm from that.

Ok, if I move the fish into another container, how old should I leave them in there for?

I did a big gravel clean and water change today to hopefully get some anchor worms out. They seem a lot happier in a cleaner tank, but Aurora is still laying on the ground.

Also, should I keep removing the worms off of them?

leave them out of their tank for 2 weeks.
keep salt in the tank for 2 weeks to kill the little anchorworms.
if they get anchorworm in the container you should remove them so they don't mature and produce more eggs.
have salt in the container

Last edited:
keep salt in the salt for 2 weeks to kill the little anchorworms.
if they get anchorworm in the container you should remove them so they don't mature and produce more eggs.
Keep salt in the salt lol ;) that might be as good as fuplies

keep salt in the tank for 2 weeks to kill the little anchorworms.
Ok! Iā€™m going to set them up a quarantine container. Will it need a filter and heater? Is there anything else I should add to it?

Goldfish shouldn't need a heater but warm water will help speed up the anchorworm's life cycle and you will be able to see if any anchorworm at appearing on the fish sooner.

If you have an established filter from another tank you can use that, otherwise just do big water changes on the quarantine tank to keep the ammonia levels down.

Goldfish shouldn't need a heater but warm water will help speed up the anchorworm's life cycle and you will be able to see if any anchorworm at appearing on the fish sooner.

If you have an established filter from another tank you can use that, otherwise just do big water changes on the quarantine tank to keep the ammonia levels down.
Ok! How often should I do the big water changes?

Most reactions

trending

Back