FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Sadly its not looking so good for the guppy with the damaged fin, it seems a white spot has started to grow near her fin:

Videos of her too:

http://youtu.be/SSL5PoMy_kY

http://youtu.be/NUyHhJFdYI0

Could this be a bacterial infection or fin rot or something?

It looks like they do have some type of bacterial/fungal disease. It's common to get diseases after ammonia spikes.
Unfortunately if you want to save it, you'd need to treat the tank. Try to pick something that doesn't affect the filter bacteria, otherwise it will be counterproductive.

PrairieSunflower said:
Is it fuzzy?  If so it could be fungus.

I just spotted another white mark on the other guppies side too. It looks fuzzy, but also like an ulcer attached to the body. I can't be sure if its fungus or an ulcer :(

snazy said:
It looks like they do have some type of bacterial/fungal disease. It's common to get diseases after ammonia spikes.
Unfortunately if you want to save it, you'd need to treat the tank. Try to pick something that doesn't affect the filter bacteria, otherwise it will be counterproductive.

Since I own a bottle, I started treatment of Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria No. 9 but I am not certain whether it is internal bacteria or a fungus/fin rot. Interpet have a different treatment for the latter, which I would need to buy as unlike Anti Bacterial, I don't own it.

Both guppies are acting strange, one at the bottom, the other usually near the filter corner. Neither will eat, although they do come to the top when I feed.

I feel so sad, I have already killed 4 fish, surely not two more :(

Finish the treatment. If not improvement at all at the end of it, add carbon to the filter for a day or two and do large water change too, then try a different med. Fungus and bacteria walk hand in hand, so hopefully the meds will work.

I forgot to mention that their feces is stringy and white, is this a sign of either?

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, it can be. Normally stringy white feces are a sign of either internal bacterial infection or internal parasitic infection. The latter is normally accompanied by the fish scratching themselves of decorations.

I've had a similar problem as you, is your tank recently set up? I bought 6 guppies with a few other fish initially and they died off one by one with many of symptoms you noted.. guppies are delicate and very sensitive.. your tank seems very crowded, the stress alone for the fish leave them susceptible to disease and or fungal infections. over crowded tanks can cause levels to go up with alp the feces food and decaying fish. I gallon per guppy I believe. guppys are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrites even at small doses hence why they are not the fish to cycle your tank with.. it's great that your treating them but I also know they are very sensitive to this too- from personal experience I lost 4 out of 6 from treatment.. I wouldn't buy more fish until all your levels say 0 except for nitrates.. continue testing your water and doing water changes everyday.. keep doing what your doing, best of luck!
forgot to mention 71 degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees celcius) is not warm enought for tropical fish and the warmer the water the faster the bacteria can go through their life cycle and die, faster. I believe tropical fish thrive around 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks again guys.

The tank was previously a Goldfish tank for two years, so its not new.

The levels are now 0, but I am still having problems. - Today another Ghost Catfish has gone missing, I assume dead. I wonder if he died because of the treatment and salt I had to add to the tank, because last time I added treatment and salt I lost another Ghost Catfish.

About the temperature, I have it at 22'c because of the Weather Loaches, they are naturally cold water, but can survive up to this temp.

I am heading towards another tank to just keep the Loaches in, at least that way I can increase the temperature.

Okay I thought I'd update, I treated the fish yesterday, so looking to repeat the treatment on Saturday as it advises on the bottle. I also have purchased more aquarium salt to top up with the water changes.

To our surprise today (i was just monitoring one of the guppies) and suddenly it gave birth! A tiny little guppy shot out, was chased around by the other guppy and then hid in the plants.

Next to zero chance of survival I'm sure, but nice to see nonetheless.

The guppy giving birth seems to be sleeping at the bottom of the tank now (its middle of the night here) whilst the other close to the surface. So far I haven't seen a difference in their infections/fungus.

Keep an eye and see if there are any minor improvements, even behaviour wise.  It's always hard to diagnose fish, and then manage to get the right meds that do work.....
Fingers crossed.

The Guppy that gave birth is swimming all day on its own in the top left corner of the tank. She has a red ulcer on her body, redder gills and anal area than usual.

The other guppy also has red gills, but has a white fluffy spot on the body(edge of his gill). He is acting more normally, but is swimming at a 45' angle.

Neither will eat.

I am thinking that the red ulcer is a bacterial infection and the white spot on the other guppy is fungus. The red gills on both/red anal areas must indicate bacterial infection also.

I treat the second batch of internal bacterial medication tomorrow and then will need to wait 4 days before treating that again, or 7 days until I can treat fungus.

If this medication doesn't help after 4 more days from the second treatment, what shall I do?

Should I be performing daily water changes still whilst using medication? - how does this work with the dosage?

Also, I have found I can't add salt to aid the medication to the aquarium because the Glass Catfish I own are Scaleless fish. This explains why I have lost two of them also.

I have removed the old pictures and put new ones up. They aren't clear, but you should be able to see the red areas like I was explaining.

In these pictures, the red spot on the second guppy can't be seen, but as with the older pictures, it is between its head and its gill (top side).

I carried out a water change today and admitted the second dose of the medication.

Any idea how I should do water changes with this medication? The levels ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are good and everything else is stable, but should I be changing water daily even though I am medicating?

Also, if this doesn't work, should I continue with another dose, or switch medication to fungus?

Should I add medication each time to the new water? I'm not really sure how to deal with it.

The fish themselves seem to be a bit more lively today. One of them in particular I think is looking up. The ulcer that was previously there seems to have died down and I can see her scales again. However this same fish has developed a redish rear/tail (See images).

The other fish with the white fuzzy lump is swimming with an arched back at a 45'c angle. You should be able to see the white from the pictures, I think it must be fungus.

Neither fish are eating.

Links to the rest of the images, since it won't let me post any more images.

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/3679/dscf4088.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img842/8110/dscf4075q.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/2361/dscf4065t.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/3586/dscf4091g.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img268/4893/dscf4097qh.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img194/4207/dscf4099v.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img822/8475/dscf4098v.jpg

How to treat and for how long depends on the medication. Check the instructions and it should tell you what to do. Water changes are good in any scenario as they'll remove some of the harmful pathogens that are affecting the fish.
If you do a water change, just dose the amount of meds you've removed via the water change. So dose the required amount of meds for the amount of new water you add. Other than that water changes are good.

The red tail is looking bad. It can indicate either a consequence of an ammonia burn or even a disease like Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia.

Sadly the Guppy with the white, fluffy spot is having problems keeping balance.- Worse than in the pictures now. Perhaps she has also developed swim bladder problem, shes struggling to swim up right and has sunk further down the tank.

The other Guppy isn't looking any better either now, although her ulcer disappeared,  the red has started to appear in places on her body also. It does look like septicemia, which probably means she won't make it either. - That is if the medication doesn't work.

I'm not sure what to do now, I can't feed the reddish Guppy medicated food because she won't eat.

I can't start treating the other fish for fungus until 7 days have passed.

I guess its just a matter of leaving them to it now. To be honest I am expecting them both to die, just like the others have.

Its always a horrible thing checking the tank each morning.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back