Gourami Fin Rot or Fin Nipping?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If you like the tiger barbs keep them. And remove the molly and Gourami. Maybe setup a small tank for them to hang out in. 30 gallons is big enough for 6 tiger barbs and the catfish, just don't add anything else into the tank. Plant the tank heavily and they may even breed.

I think you sound extremely caring. You are trying to find answers and risking the opprobrium of other aquarists because things have got into a bit of a mess, but you are doing your best in what sound like very difficult circumstances.

(Sorry! Missed the reply button)

Thank you for being direct first of all, I know this is a mess of a tank and I'm just trying to salvage it at this point. Right now, the molly is safe and even pushes the tiger barbs around a bit if they get too close because they're really small when compared to the molly. Unfortunately I do have pretty soft water, the ph being 6.8.
You're probably right about the gourami and I'm at a loss for what to do... If needed I can set up an faux-emergency tank with the 5 gallon bucket and move it outside during the day for the temperature and indoors at night. If that won't work however, I think I might need to find a way to return the gourami. (Really not looking foward to this option because my sister is going to throw a fit and my parents are going to take a lot of convincing to drive 45 minutes to the fish store where we got the fish. Not to mention the earliest this can be done is only next weekend due to work and other personal reasons).
My mom has been nonstop complaining about how empty the tank looks, and I realize this is a bizarre question in a thread about a sick/attacked fish and feel horrible about asking, but if I do end up having to persuade my parents to return the gourami, I'm going to need ideas for other fish to get to fill up the tank. I did try to get more tiger barbs, but the only ones in the store where waaaay too small and there was a clear difference between the TBs we had at home and the TBs in the store, and I really wasn't looking forward to starting even more problems in the tank.
Also can we completely eliminate fin rot as a cause for the fins? That'll take off a big amount of pressure and worry that my other fish are safe. At first I was confused because all of the fish seemed to be getting along with no issues for a whole month before the bitten fins suddenly showed up on the gourami.
(I'm really really sorry if I come of as insensitive and/or uncaring about the fish, its just been a headache and I'm struggling to balance the whole problematic family situation and the wellbeing of the fish)
I think you sound extremely caring. You are trying to find answers and risking the opprobrium of other aquarists because things have got into a bit of a mess, but you are doing your best in what sound like very difficult circumstances.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back