Gobies in my tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Airec0101

Reaction score
hi everyone :)

Iā€™ve wanted a Goby for ages but I thought they were only for marine tanks, then I saw something about freshwater Gobies?

Does anyone know if thatā€™s actually a thing?

I donā€™t really know anything about them other than theyā€™re super fun to watch!

Are they easy to look after?
Iā€™ve got a 230L tropical freshwater at the moment containing 12 neon tetras, 1 male dwarf gourami, several shrimp - amano and bamboo, several platy fry that will be going when they get bigger, and 2 blue phantom plecos.

Reckon I could add gobies to this mix?

Thank you for any help!

X

There are freshwater species of goby but most of them come from Australia and New Guinea. Desert Gobies (Chlamydogobius eremius) are found in hard alkaline water bodies in inland Australian but some of the ANGFA (Australian New Guinea Fishes Association) organisations in the US and Europe have them and send them to members. There is also a Peacock Gudgeon (Tateurndina ocellicauda) from new Guinea that lives in softer water and should be available in the UK.

There are a few other gobies (bumblebee gobies) and gudgeons from Asia and these usually require hard alkaline water.

Gobies don't normally feed from the surface so you have to put frozen or live foods in for them and get the food to the bottom where they live. they are usually pretty tough when established.

hi everyone :)

Iā€™ve wanted a Goby for ages but I thought they were only for marine tanks, then I saw something about freshwater Gobies?

Does anyone know if thatā€™s actually a thing?

I donā€™t really know anything about them other than theyā€™re super fun to watch!

Are they easy to look after?
Iā€™ve got a 230L tropical freshwater at the moment containing 12 neon tetras, 1 male dwarf gourami, several shrimp - amano and bamboo, several platy fry that will be going when they get bigger, and 2 blue phantom plecos.

Thank you for any help!

X
Bumble bee gobys are really cute. My LFS stocks them.

Bumblebee Gobys can be fussy when it comes to food, they will not take pellets or flakes, they need frozen and live food.

Gobies don't normally feed from the surface

Bumblebee Gobys will happily come to the top for food and will even take it from your fingers.

These are my Gobys

Did you know, Some populations of Bumblebee Gobys inhabit ancient peat swamp habitats with highly-stained, tea-coloured water, very low acidity, minimal conductivity, and negligible hardness.

In my opinion no. BBG's are not the fastest when it comes to food so could be out competed.

BBg's are best kept with Red Cherry Shrimp and Male and female Endlers or Guppies, the young shrimp and fish fry become food for the BBG's. I have 1 male and 2 female Endlers.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back