The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SAJin

Reaction score
This grey mark showed up on my betta months ago and I thought he had burned himself on the heater since he figured out how to rest on top of the suction cup, but now I think it's changed shape and I'm concerned. I want to check with more experienced people before putting in treatment for it unnecessarily. Pictures attached showing the upside down V mark on his side. It originally was just a small greyish stripe. Obviously scars don't change shape I just cant seemed to identify what going on. He acts perfectly normal.
1648391300332.png

1648391356450.png

1648391388361.png

What are your water parameters? How often do you change the water? How large is the tank?
Everything is normal but ammonia is up only a little due to a late water change because I was sick recently. Normally the water get's changed every two weeks. It's a five gallon and I do two the two and a half gallons per change as well as a new filter every month. When the mark first appeared everything was normal, which is why I thought it might have been a scrap or burn. Thank you for replying.

Everything is normal but ammonia is up only a little due to a late water change because I was sick recently. Normally the water get's changed every two weeks. It's a five gallon and I do two the two and a half gallons per change as well as a new filter every month. When the mark first appeared everything was normal, which is why I thought it might have been a scrap or burn. Thank you for replying.
hmm im not sure what the problem could be. Someone more experienced will know.

Normally the water get's changed every two weeks. It's a five gallon and I do two the two and a half gallons per change as well as a new filter every month.
What filter are you changing? If you have cartridges, I would look into replacing with reusable media.

Everything is normal but ammonia is up only a little due to a late water change because I was sick recently.
If your tank is cycled?, you should only need water changes (WC) to reduce nitrate and other pollutants that the BB (Beneficial Bacteria) do not take care of. Ammonia and nitrite should remain at zero without WCs.

It's excess mucous caused by something in the water irritating the fish. If you are replacing the filter media each month, then it's possibly ammonia causing the problem.

It is preferable not to replace the filter media because you get rid of the beneficial filter bacteria that keeps the ammonia and nitrite levels at 0ppm. Instead you should squeeze the filter media/ materials out in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

If the filter media starts to fall apart, then replace it with some sponge for another brand of filter. I use AquaClear sponges but there are lots of other brands you can use. Just get a pair of scissors and cut the sponge so it fits in your filter. Sponges get cleaned once a month in a bucket of tank water and re-used. They last for years and only need replacing when they start to fall apart.

If you have carbon or a carbon cartridge in the filter, you can throw it away. Some filter pads have carbon in them and these pads can be cut open and the carbon tipped out. The empty pad can then be cleaned in a bucket of tank water and re-used. Carbon is not needed in an aquarium unless you have heavy metals or chemicals in the water.

If possible, try and do a water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week, then do it once a week after that.

What filter are you changing? If you have cartridges, I would look into replacing with reusable media.

If your tank is cycled?, you should only need water changes (WC) to reduce nitrate and other pollutants that the BB (Beneficial Bacteria) do not take care of. Ammonia and nitrite should remain at zero without WCs.
The filter is a disposable one, not sure what else fits with the tank.
Yes the tank is cycled. I do regular water changes to keep ammonia down but that's not true? Getting rid of the stuff that makes the ammonia and nitrites in the first place. It's only a 5 gallon it needs regular water changes no? To prevent build up?

It's excess mucous caused by something in the water irritating the fish. If you are replacing the filter media each month, then it's possibly ammonia causing the problem.

It is preferable not to replace the filter media because you get rid of the beneficial filter bacteria that keeps the ammonia and nitrite levels at 0ppm. Instead you should squeeze the filter media/ materials out in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

If the filter media starts to fall apart, then replace it with some sponge for another brand of filter. I use AquaClear sponges but there are lots of other brands you can use. Just get a pair of scissors and cut the sponge so it fits in your filter. Sponges get cleaned once a month in a bucket of tank water and re-used. They last for years and only need replacing when they start to fall apart.

If you have carbon or a carbon cartridge in the filter, you can throw it away. Some filter pads have carbon in them and these pads can be cut open and the carbon tipped out. The empty pad can then be cleaned in a bucket of tank water and re-used. Carbon is not needed in an aquarium unless you have heavy metals or chemicals in the water.

If possible, try and do a water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week, then do it once a week after that.
Thank you! I do leave good bacteria in since I don't change all the water. Is it not enough though? And I do need the carbon because I live in an apartment in a city with yucky city water.
Will the mucous go away on its own then with proper water regulation? I am very grateful for the reply.

The bacteria don't live in the water, they live on surfaces such as the filter media. That's why large water changes don't harm the bacteria but changing the filter media does. If the media is replaced regularly, the bacteria colonies are always plating catch up, which is why there's ammonia in the water.

What is the filter you have? Members with the same filter can help you customise it.

If the water quality is good (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less than 20ppm nitrate), then the mucous should go away by itself.

The floating plants should help remove some of the ammonia but the filter usually does most of the work.

Thank you for helping me understand. I have TopFin RF-L cartridges. The instructions on the box said once a month but what you say makes more sense.

If the water quality is good (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less than 20ppm nitrate), then the mucous should go away by itself.

The floating plants should help remove some of the ammonia but the filter usually does most of the work.
Okay! Thank you very much! I will make sure to do better from now on.

Thank you for helping me understand. I have TopFin RF-L cartridges. The instructions on the box said once a month but what you say makes more sense.
A lot of companies that sell filters suggest consumers replace the filter media each month. It's a sale's ploy that is bad for the fish but good for the company's profits. Most of us have been fooled by the same thing. Just clean and re-use the filter media until it falls apart and then replace it with sponge. It's better for the fish and saves you money :)

And I do need the carbon because I live in an apartment in a city with yucky city water.

How is it yucky? Taste, smell? It shouldn't have anything (other than chlorine or chloramine) that harms fish and requires carbon filtering.

Chlorine and chloramine should be removed prior to WC by Prime or API Water Conditioner.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Essjay
  • Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
Back