Freshwater Vs Red Claw Crabs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks for the advice on fish. Has anyone kept red claw crabs in freshwater and just given them a pool of brackish water at the top? How big a pool does it need to be?

How many crabs do you think i could get in my 10g tank? was hoping for 2.

yep me! though i only ever keep 2 at a time. in a 50g freshwater tank, i think thats the max, because of the restriction on space for the dry area. the brackish pool, will allow a crab a good life, as for thriving, i dont know, but if you crab sheds on a reguler basis, and gets on well with its tank company, it seems fine to me. indeed to develope a thriving community of crab, you need saltwater. brackish and fresh. as crabs live in brackish/fresh and have babys in the sea!!!!!!!!!!!

You wouldn't need saltwater since they don't actually live there, just that babies develop there. That would be like giving amano shrimp brackish water because their babies develop in brackish. I'm not sure if the red claw sees freshwater in it's natural habitat either.

Though I'm not a fan of the brackish pool thing, it's definitely a lot better than to just dump it into freshwater with no land, which is what most people do.

You wouldn't need saltwater since they don't actually live there, just that babies develop there. That would be like giving amano shrimp brackish water because their babies develop in brackish. I'm not sure if the red claw sees freshwater in it's natural habitat either.

Though I'm not a fan of the brackish pool thing, it's definitely a lot better than to just dump it into freshwater with no land, which is what most people do.

yep i can understand how you feel! but in the end we do what is best for our general community. whilst i understand, things could be better for my crab. that could be said for all the tanks inhabitants, as none are kept in an enviroment, they would find naturally.

and one of the best things about this interest, is there seem to be so many ways of doing things right! i do and will always keep a close eye on my friends, my actions are driven by what i see in MY tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back