Freshwater Vs Red Claw Crabs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JDWolf

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Was in my lfs at the weekend and noticed they are selling two different crabs. One is labeled as red claw crabs and the others are just labeled as freshwater crab. I was wondering if there are any differences between the two as visually they dodnt look that different? The only really difference i could see was the price as one is £2 and the other is £1.

Thanks

Jon

I take it how you look after them, i.e. brackish water, somewhere above water for them to sit, etc, is the same?

Thanks for the info

Jon

erm yea a bit they also like to explore alot so if they were ina 100l tank they would be performing 24/7

Red claw crabs are slightly brackish, but for the "freshwater crabs" you need to get an exact ID on them as they could be anything, there are loads of types of crabs out there. Check out this site for more info on crabs;

http://www.shrimpcrabsandcrayfish.co.uk/Sh...p.htm~mainFrame

:thumbs: .

I think the freshwater crabs looked like the red crabs (Sesarma bidens) at the top of the crab page and the ones called red claw crabs were the Red-claw Sri Lanka Crab (Sesarma sp.) ones. Umm guess i will have to have a look and see if i can identify then a bit better! Do all tropical crabs need brackish water?

Red claw crabs are slightly brackish, but for the "freshwater crabs" you need to get an exact ID on them as they could be anything, there are loads of types of crabs out there. Check out this site for more info on crabs;

http://www.shrimpcrabsandcrayfish.co.uk/Sh...p.htm~mainFrame

:thumbs: .

some nice pictures there, but the information on the crabs is way off.

this guy lists brackish crab as fresh, and seems to have real problems working out temp too.

the redclaw crab is brackish, no matter what this dude says, it needs land more than freshwater. they will live happily, in a freshwater setup as long as you give them, a dry area and a small brackish bath (1gram to 1 litre will be ok).

most freshwater crabs grow BIG (8 inches across). lol and need to be kept on their own!!!!!! they tend to destroy everything, plants other crabs and fish. they will mangle a set of ss forceps if you leave them in long enough.

to recap:
if you like crabs the freshwater type may be for you. they grow big, but need to be on their own, they too are land animals, so need a dry area about 2/3 of your tank floor. fascinating to watch, as they move everything they can around the tank.

if you are looking to keep crab in a community. my recommendation would be the redclaw crab. in my experience they get on well, with most inhabitants. they tend to be mostly viggie. and tend to be more concerned with their own safety, so in most cases are no threat even to little 1-1/2 cory. mine even get on with the Crayfish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! often forgotten fact about redcrab is their size, a big redcrab grows to 2 inches! most are smaller. they are entertaining, and very efficient tank cleaners.

my advice would be to avoid fiddler crab for the community. they are grumpy critters and whilst being good fun really need a tank to themselfs, say 5 in a 24x12x18 inch tank with 2/3 dry and 1/3 wet.

hope this helps!

no offence but why do u care

Because i am planning on getting a bigger tank soon and i will most likly use the 10 gallon one i have to house a number of crabs. So im getting as much info as i can before i get the new tank. That way i can plan what fish are going into the tank with the crabs. If all crabs prefer brackish water then i will likly make the 10 g tank into a brackish tank and look to see what fish can go in with them. If the 'freshwater' crab does not need brackish then i gives me more options on waht i can have in with the crabs.

Also as i said at the start the only difference i could see between the crabs was the price. I wanted to make sure there wasnt a difference between how you would look after them!

yep fact is you cant keep fish with most freshwater crab, and a 10g tank will be just about ok for one.

there are no tank mates for freshwater crabs

all crabs are omnivores, but lean toward veggies.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Just thought I'd ask, seeing as you seem to be something of a crab expert. :alien:
No crabs for my tank, I guess. Pity...

I agree boboboy that the site is not that accurate on its general info, but it has a vast amount of pictures of crabs and other critters which are all accurately named, so is a good site none the less for ID'ing such critters :thumbs: .

yep fact is you cant keep fish with most freshwater crab, and a 10g tank will be just about ok for one.

there are no tank mates for freshwater crabs

all crabs are omnivores, but lean toward veggies.

Thanks for the info boboboy you have been very helpful. Think i will get look more at red claw crabs when i do change the set up. How many do you recon i could put in a 10 g tank, was thinking I would only be able to put one or two in.

Also as its going to be a brackish tank what fish do you recommend i put in with the crab(s)? I have heard livebears are ok, such as guppies and platies, any others?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back