Freshwater tank lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm in the market for LED lighting in preparation for planting for the first time. For a very long time I've viewed aquariums as life support systems as opposed to habitats that mimic the real world to some degree. The project will include 3 hardened glass, single piece sections to replace the crappy ones that came with the tank. What I'm looking for are suggestions and idea's about what to buy and why. I have about $400 to spend on a fully programmable unit. The tank is 72in long and I want a single fixture, unless two fixtures are somehow better.

CURRENT USA Serene Aquarium Visual and Audio Aquatic Experience Kit | LED Aquarium Light | LED Background Light​

This is a unit I've looked at so far, though it has features I don't see the point of.

That’s a decent light.

I personally like Nicrew lights. Fluval and Classic Satellite make good lights as well.

Fluval Aquasky.

Love that light. Bluetooth fully programmable. Can do storms and clouds and whatever color you can imagine. Sunrise and sunset. Moonlight. Compact units with big lighting and features.

Thanks PK. The Necrew line looks good and is also ccheaper than I thought it would be, which has an appeal all its own! What model are you using? I'll look through the two other manufacturers. As you might imagine I'm just itching to pull the trigger. :cool: I look forward to having a tank that's scaped similar to yours, plants and all.

I've decided on the Serene. It SHOULD be here sometime during the (+/-) blizzard next Tuesday. I'm looking forward to watching my wife set up my first real tank fixture.

I just replaced my lights too. I ended up with the finnex planted 24/7 crv. Just a couple days now and it’s so much better than the hood set up I had before. Easy transition between light intensity changes. I was weighing the current satellite plus as well. But pulled the trigger on the finnex cause they seemed to have similar features, just the finnex was a few bucks cheaper, and possibly more difficult to program. We’ll see if I end up regretting that decision, so far I’m quite satisfied.
I bet you’ll be stoked on how it looks after the swap.

Reactions: 663
I've disliked my old lights for so long my Current unit is bound to be a very pleasing upgrade. Even though I found out that aquarium fish don't require bright lights, I'm hoping that I can make the sort of light that will let me see the natural colors and structures of everything in the tank.

I hope all of the features I bought work as advertised but I'm really looking forward to not having to manually turn the unit on/off everyday. Hell, my Fluval fixtures don't even have real power buttons. ;)

BTW, I did phone support for a store in Maui. I made several calls for a store clerk's cash register. She was so pleased that she sang to me over the phone. Her voice was the most beautiful I've heard, like an angel!

Last edited:
I showed up today and is partially installed. Simply put, it's wonderful. Once I finalize the setup I'll post a pic. If anyone else wants to do the same it would be appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back