Fluval Edge

Fisses

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
299
Reaction score
0
Points
0
just wondered what peoples views and opinions are of these as currently i have a 60 litre tank, and for a more stylish look, im thinking of downsizing and passing the tank on to someone else....

would i be able to take these fish from my current tank and move them over to the Edge:

4 x cardinal tetras
1 x otto (maybe purchase another)

or

4 x cardinal tetras
purchase 2 x shrimp?

just wondering what options i have with the current stocking i have right now
 
I saw one of those when they first came out and though wow (for a bit of modern decor) It was well set out at the lfs but when I looked closer I thought what a ***** to keep clean.

Nice but not for me........btw your second choice stocking sounds better, depending on your choice of shrimp.
 
i think they look absolutely amazing!!! and i can understand they maybe a bit awkward to cleane and maintain, but there is specialist accessoried to use with the EDGE like gravel cleaner, fish net etc

i deffo want my cardinal tetras in ther, but not sure what else. i was thinking ottos as then id see them upside down and stuff :-P
 
i think they look absolutely amazing!!! and i can understand they maybe a bit awkward to cleane and maintain, but there is specialist accessoried to use with the EDGE like gravel cleaner, fish net etc

i deffo want my cardinal tetras in ther, but not sure what else. i was thinking ottos as then id see them upside down and stuff :-P

Yes but 'ottos like to be in a group so at least 4 would be needed.
 
I personally wouldn't say it's suitable for many fish at all. And personally I wouldn't put neons, cardinals or ottos in there.

However shrimp would be fine. :D

And also...you say there are special tools for maintenance. But how would you get rid of algae? Particularly spot algae...that'd be a nightmare.
 
Not keen on putting any tetra bigger than a green neon tetra in a small tank like that. Cardinals get pretty big (a good couple of inches) and would appreciate a bigger group. They are also fast moving and would definitely not feel too at home in the teeny Edge.

Maybe look into green neon tetras or other smaller tetras? You could probably have a good sized shoal - 7 or so?
 
I personally wouldn't say it's suitable for many fish at all. And personally I wouldn't put neons, cardinals or ottos in there.

However shrimp would be fine. :D

And also...you say there are special tools for maintenance. But how would you get rid of algae? Particularly spot algae...that'd be a nightmare.

for algae, the tank comes with a mag float for glass cleaning....

now youve all put a downer on it, im re-considering :-(
 
I personally wouldn't say it's suitable for many fish at all. And personally I wouldn't put neons, cardinals or ottos in there.

However shrimp would be fine. :D

And also...you say there are special tools for maintenance. But how would you get rid of algae? Particularly spot algae...that'd be a nightmare.

for algae, the tank comes with a mag float for glass cleaning....

now youve all put a downer on it, im re-considering :-(


Yes, use this tank for a lovely little shrimp set up. Or get a dwarf puffer instead! I wouldn't put cardinals etc in there though!

I have a Fluval Edge - I love it. Who said tanks can't be stylish! I have had no issues in cleaning the tank or doing regular maintenance to it at all. It is a real nice piece of fish equipment and I'd love another one for the hallway with a Betta in it. Hmmm, maybe I should!
 
When you say "specialist accessories" I heard Fluval going "KA-CHING!"

I agree that it's a very pretty, well appointed tank, but I personally think its more of a money spinner with all the "must have" accessories.
 
When you say "specialist accessories" I heard Fluval going "KA-CHING!"

I agree that it's a very pretty, well appointed tank, but I personally think its more of a money spinner with all the "must have" accessories.


I've not had to buy none of the "specialist accessories". A normal 99p small gravel vac, 99p small fish net, a piece of filter sponge to cover the pipe, and a small algae magnet do the job.
Its not the biggest tank in the world so I don't understand why people think its going to be hard to clean etc. Suffice to say that any Fluval "special" add-ons will be purchased by those new to the fish keeping world and have brought the edge as their very first tank!

BUY THE TANK! Its visually/aesthetically pleasing and is simple/easy to take care of!
 
The thing I thought would be difficult to clean is the algae...IME magnetic cleaners don't tend to work very well on the joints + corners...with the fluval having so many I figured it'd be a nightmare.

Other than that the only problem I can really see with them, is if you change your mind about stock... you're stuffed if you want to catch the fish to rehome it.
 
The thing I thought would be difficult to clean is the algae...IME magnetic cleaners don't tend to work very well on the joints + corners...with the fluval having so many I figured it'd be a nightmare.

Other than that the only problem I can really see with them, is if you change your mind about stock... you're stuffed if you want to catch the fish to rehome it.


Trust me - I've had algae in the tank - and a magnet does the job. Plus, when I do weekly water changes its easy to rub off any extra with a cloth etc. On the netting of fish, well I've changed substrate a couple of times in mine which meant using a net to catch the fish - its easy, just remove some water so they can't stay at the top of the tank whilst you are trying to catch them.
 
see, mixed reviews from everyone!!

but which of my fish ive got now will be ok to transport to a fluval edge?

ive been told cardinals is 100% ok by some people, but not by others
 
The dwarf frog is the only thing suitable. And the reviews here aren't really that mixed...
I totally think it's a nice tank. It just has very limited stocking choices.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top