Fluval Edge

I have had a betta in mine for a couple months now, and we love it. There are a million views on this tank, lots of skeptics & a few Edge fans (typically happy owners). Everyone, but 2, said I absolutely couldn't keep a betta in the Edge. You can find the banter in this fish forum, it got a little heated. Very passionate antiEdge/Betta people.
Cleaning isn't bad. I've gotten creative with my tools. I use a turkey baster to suck up poop and odd things in between cleanings, a toothbrush to maintain corners and the top (I thought a cloth might leave behind fibers). No algae issues as of yet. I bought the Fluval gravel vac thingie, but it was $10 which appears to be the average price for those things.
Size wise, the tank is a nano but it's not that small. Think of the size of the tanks at the petstore that houses 100s of fish for sell. They are definately crowded. Dont do that, but 4 small fish should be ok, depending on the fish. Try it and see. Lovely tank, and me and Beau debunked the no Betta in an Edge theory, so...
Good Luck
 
me and Beau debunked the no Betta in an Edge theory, so...

No you didn't.

You have a large air bubble in your edge due to it's uneven stand providing extra air in a tank that has a horrifically small surface area. This helps but does not make the tank well designed for keeping fish ( poor oxygen exchange in a full edge with that ridiculous small airhole )or good for the money . It's a marketing ploy for executive desks and people with more money than sense. No matter how much you like it, it is still a really bad deal for the price. A well set up and scaped basic clearseal tank can be made to look fantastic for half the cost of an edge, and a second hand tank for even less than that.
 
my sister has one with tetras in, and works fine, at the end of the day, people have a choice, and will make it.

i LOVE the edge, it was that or the horizon, the horizon won literally cause it was bigger and i had nowhere to put the edge. my sisters looks fab!
 
We have the edge at the moment, and are selling through them like hot cakes.

If you look at it from a store point of view, they are very easy to maintain, small, elegant and quiet. Everything a customer with a bowl wants.

The filter in it is amazing, the lighting is enough to keep a few plants in it, large enough to keep both tropical and goldfish, but not to large to be out of the way and to imposing.

We have been hearing only good things about them.

I may take a photo of ours that we have on display and you guy may change your mind about it...
 
goldfish,


How big is the biggest edge? I hope you're not talking about the small ones I've been seeing in stores here because those are NOT suitable for goldfish in the slightest ( you need at least 200L per pair of goldfish seeing as they grow to over 12 inches )

The lighting may be great and so may the filter, but the design of the tank, filling it completely to the glass roof leaves only that small square of surface area for oxygen exchange, which is it's most major flaw and one I personally would NOT buy an edge on the grounds thereof ( not to mention the horrific price ) . I think as a shrimp tank or a planted scape they would work great, but rubbish for fish.
 
goldfish,


How big is the biggest edge? I hope you're not talking about the small ones I've been seeing in stores here because those are NOT suitable for goldfish in the slightest ( you need at least 200L per pair of goldfish seeing as they grow to over 12 inches

Well, to be fair, if you're going to sell someone a tank for a goldfish, this is infinitely better than most other 'goldfish' tanks on the market. When you factor in the price, it's also possibly better in the respect that if you've splashed out on a nice tank like this, you're less likely to see it as disposable and there's a higher chance of eventually keeping suitable fish in it. Or more suitable, at least.
 
The small ones are not better in any way than the usual sort . They cause exactly the same problems since the filter will not be anywhere near big enough to cope with the waste produced, and ammonia would soon start to build as it would in an unfiltered tank or bowl. Being modern looking and overpriced does not make the tank "better" than a basic one. It would still be FAR too small, provide poor oxygen due to the small surface area under that little hood and the filter isn't strong enough.
 
The filtration is better than the majority of 'goldfish tanks' on the market. The point is, you can't stop people buying/shops selling goldfish and the corresponding bowls/tanks, so if that's going to happen anyway it's better off being a small tank like this, which at least has decent filtration for the size, and because it's all elegant and stylish you have to hope that those that buy it will see it as more of a long term investment (cost is a factor in this) and therefore a) be a bit more in tune with the welfare of the fish and b) when the goldfish do join the choir invisible, replace them with more suitable species like WCMM or whatever. I'm not saying 'yeah these tanks are great for goldfish, have twenty', but in a choice between this and, say, the awful orange Hagen tanks, this wins every time.
 
No, it doesn't win in any sense. A Fluval 1 or 2 can be put on one of those orange Hagen tanks to filter it and a goldfish could survive in it for a short while as it could in an edge. Neither tank is in any way suitable for any sort of goldfish . No, I can't stop people wasting money on edge or hagen tanks, but I am still entitled to the opinion that the edge is a really badly designed tank with regard to surface area and oxygen exchange. Like I said, it would make a good shrimp tank but is cack for fish.
 
Like I said, very passionate anti-Edge people.
I have a simple, yes or no, question for Honeythorn. Do YOU or have YOU ever owned&operated the Edge? Check ONE. You are so negative, Im starting to wonder if you work for the Biorb company, or maybe you had a bad experience in a past life as a fish in an Edge. You are entitled to your opinion as well as your dislike for the tank, but it is my opinion that what you hate the most about the Edge is that is sooo pretty, that it actually functions, and people like it. I totally agree with OFeeshy with the simple truth that people put goldfish and bettas in BOWLS. BOWLS! The fish and pet market sell, promote, and encourage the use of tiny tanks, and BOWLS for these fish. When a goldfish comes to mind, you cant help but picture it in a bowl because that is the NORM(not making it right). The tiny 1gallon tank is an ungraded standard of living when you live in a cup or a bowl. And the size of the top opening of the 1gal tank is practically the span or size of the opening of the Edge. My BETTA now has a much larger living space in comparison to the his first bowl, 2nd larger bowl, and the 6in wide 1gal tank. I upgraded because I realized that his living space was not suitable. I would like to think that if someone were to put a goldfish in an edge, and it were to grow too large, that common sense would tell them to remove it. If you put a betta in and it cant breath, remove it. If any fish or too many fish doesn't agree with the tank and/or its setup, remove it/them. Its called trial and error.
As for the air bubble, I've fixed the air bubble problem, so now what. Is he doomed? Also, you can have an ammonia buildup and other water quality issues in any tank.
I was in the Walmart(chain store) recently, where I bought/rescued my betta from, and they were in cups of BLUE water. I asked the guy why their water was blue and he said that is how they are delivered. Pick your battles. The Edge is perfect for Bettas. How do I know? Because I have 1. I met another on this forum, with a Betta in an Edge comfortably since April. Read about a guy who put his Betta in an Edge and was unsuccessful, it had to be removed because it couldn't find the hole to breathe. My betta is super intelligent, sooo... everyone can't be so lucky! Once again, its called trial and error.
Regardless of so-called scientific facts and absolutions, where suggestions and opinions are welcome, experience is the only truth and actuality.
I'm an American, so call me silly, but $100 is CHEAP for this tank. And if you know anything about our fake dollar, the recession, and the cost of living here, you could understand. A tank of this caliber, style and FUNCTION, would be expected to cost way more. Especially for its sleek, modern design. If you want something different, or fancier than the average, thats what you pay for. $60 to $100 seems to be the average for a normal, DECENT tank. So what's the big deal? Maybe what you're trying to say is that $100 is too much to spend on a tank for a Betta? Well not for mine.
 
tbh, i dont see why everyone is rambling their opinions when all that was wanted was a simple answer.

i DO feel the edge is a GOOD tank. my sister has one, and with the good old fluval filtration its excellent. the filter is strong enough to suck dead fish to it!

they havent had to do "extra" cleaning, as the filter has done its job.

i personally would love one, especially as they have just gone down to £60-70! i just dont have the space.... :(

to the OP, if you want one, get one ! ignore these !
 
I must admit I love the look of this tank, I have one on my christmas list to set up as a shrimp tank. Does anyone know the actual dimensions?

I understand peoples concerns regarding the lack of surface area, but as long as you take that into account, along with the capacity, when you choose your fish or shrimp, you should be ok.
 
to be fair if this tank was about when i bought a Biorb, i'd have been gutted i didn't buy an Edge. If your looking for Style and something more ascetic, then it's be an Edge every time for me.
 
i think they are brilliant little tanks! if i wasn't addicted to all things huge i'd definitely have one!
some people need to do the maths, no matter how big a tanks surface is, only moving water will really absorb oxygen. how many people have a tank in which 100% of the waters surface is being disturbed by filter movement or air bubbles etc? not many. the edge has been better designed then most people give it credit for, although, as stated it is purely to make money, but so is any fish tank, big or small, simple or extravagant!
100% of the surface area of the fluval edge gets agitated constantly, although the surface area is less that 1/5 of the size of the top of the tank, this is still equal to or even more surface area being disturbed than on a lot of tanks. id say the tank gets better oxygenated than a lot of aquariums. i know a few people who have these and i very rarely see any of the fish swim to the surface through lack of oxygen.

i think cardinals, given their need to shoal, are too big and boisterous for the tank space in the edge.
i would stick with the idea of shrimps, and maybe a small tetra like ember tetras or a small rasbora like galaxy rasbora. keep the fish stock minimal like this and keep the decor minimal and contemporary and the tanks can look absolutely stunning!

Dave
 

Most reactions

Back
Top