Fluval Edge

Do YOU or have YOU ever owned&operated the Edge?

No, I do not own an edge because I have more sense than that. I have examined them closely in LF'S near me, bothrunning with fish (gasping frequently I might add ) and empty , and seeing how awfully designed it was made it's price tag even more unjustifiable. I wouldn't waste my money on something that isn't worth it's price.

It isn't better than 1 gal tanks or bowls when it comes to surface area and oxygen exchange, it's about the same regardless of it's filtration. Space yes, there is space for sure, but space isn't much use when your fish spend half their time gasping at that small hole, something I have both seen with my own eyes and seen complaints of on other forums also. Looking modern and being overpriced does not make a good tank. You need to look at how the thing has been designed. Tiny airspace, poor oxygen, why would anyone want that?

but it is my opinion that what you hate the most about the Edge is that is sooo pretty, that it actually functions, and people like it


I find it rather ugly, it does not function half as well as it should, due to it's huge design flaw, and frankly I couldn't give a monkey's if the queen of sheba loves it, I still think it's a badly designed waste of money.


My betta is super intelligent,

I don't know where you're getting the impression you have some sort of supernormal fish because he can find the airhole, you don't. You have an ordinary one . It doesn't matter if he can find it, the point is, the airspace is too small to provide a good, normal amount of oxygen to the tank. A normal one has the whole open surface for this process which is what makes them better.

If you put a betta in and it cant breath, remove it. If any fish or too many fish doesn't agree with the tank and/or its setup, remove it/them. Its called trial and error.

No that's called a waste of time and stressing your fish for no good reason.

Maybe what you're trying to say is that $100 is too much to spend on a tank for a Betta?

No, I'm saying it's too much to spend on a tank that is really badly designed for what's marketed to live in it.

I'd much rather spend that money on a custom built acrylic tank with a proper open top and hood with all the bells and whistles if I were inclined to spend that much on a tank ( which I don't actually need to because I can do a second hand setup that looks just as great for less than half that price )

100% of the surface area of the fluval edge gets agitated constantly, although the surface area is less that 1/5 of the size of the top of the tank, this is still equal to or even more surface area being disturbed than on a lot of tanks

And you've seen ALL these other lot of tanks have you? How can you possibly know that?

I've seen edges functioning ( or not as the case usually is ) and I've not seen one in good order. Not one. And no, these weren't just in poorly managed LFS' either, but decent ones . Some of the workers there I chat to when I go in agree with me, and wouldn't buy one in a million years but of course they have to set the thing up to show how it works and sell them to people who want one.

The edge would however certainly work as an overpriced shrimp tank.
 
agree with Dave about the cardinals being a bit to large and energetic for an edge, and anyone else who has mentioned it. another idea, probably mentioned already tho, is an all shrimp tank, or maybe lots of shrimps and a small school of small tetras/rasboras. shrimps have a very small/low bioload, so you can disregard the inch/gallon rule. good luck :hyper: :good:
 
honeythorn, i think you need to get off your high horse sweet cheeks, i said it has a bigger percentage of surface agitation than a lot of tanks, yes, i have seen a lot of tanks, in fact i have owned a lot of tanks, and i also have seen the edge running, with fish in the lfs, in peoples houses. if they are set up properly, and the right sized/amount/number of fish and/or invertebrates are kept in the tank it FUNCTIONS extremely well. how many tanks have you seen where 20% of the surface area is constantly being agitated? not many i will tell you that. the fact is you just pointlessly spent your time moaning about something that obviously you have some sort of problem with. just don't, give your opinion and thats all that was asked. plenty of people including myself have seen them working and functioning as intended very well, so the ones you have supposedly seen are either set up wrongly, stocked wrongly, or just maintained by completely incompetent.

The tank will function dependent upon what is in it, obviously if you put a couple of gold fish in it they aren't going to be happy chappies! a few shrimp and rasbora could live long and happy lives in it!
funny how some people struggle to get their heads round the most simple of things isn't it....
 
Actually I'd say at least 40% of my tank surface is properly moving, and the rest is at least open to the air (albeit circulating as opposed to rippling).

Plus it's actually more like 15% of the surface area of the tank open to diffusion on the edge.

So...in comparison there is a huge difference in surface area for gaseous exchange.

I'm not trying to say for one second that they aren't really good tanks if set up correctly. But there aren't any fish I would happily put in there. Inverts I would :)
But not fish.

I'm not trying to continue an argument. If it works for people then fine, but I would never buy one as there are too many 'thin lines' being pushed with fish you put in. And I'm certainly not the kind of person who will pay £90 for a pretty shrimp tank! :) Especially as a normal tank is much easier to plant.
 
honeythorn, i think you need to get off your high horse sweet cheeks,

I didn't get on it. I got on the rotund pony of logic and common sense instead.



i have seen a lot of tanks, in fact i have owned a lot of tanks, and i also have seen the edge running, with fish in the lfs, in peoples houses.

That's nice, so have I.

if they are set up properly, and the right sized/amount/number of fish and/or invertebrates are kept in the tank it FUNCTIONS extremely well.

Setting it up properly, as in planting it and switching it on doesn't take too many brain cells , anyone can do it. And plugging in filters, lights and heaters do have the tendency to make things function in the sense of working, mechanically. That is in fact what they are for. When I say function I mean do what it's marketed for in a way that keeps it's inhabitants from gasping for air most of the day.

I DID say invertebrates would do fine in it if you go and look.




how many tanks have you seen where 20% of the surface area is constantly being agitated?

Plenty thank you. Including most of my late grandfather's tanks, and two of my own.

The fact is you just pointlessly spent your time moaning about something that obviously you have some sort of problem with. just don't, give your opinion and thats all that was asked.

Wrong again. I stated my opinion as to why I feel the tank is badly designed for it's purpose having seen plenty of them both running and empty. I am well within my rights to have an opinion on something I have a problem with, because I think it's a badly thought out waste of money. If people want to buy one that's their problem not mine.


plenty of people including myself have seen them working and functioning as intended very well, so the ones you have supposedly seen are either set up wrongly, stocked wrongly, or just maintained by completely incompetent.

And plenty of people including myself have seen and/or experienced quite the opposite. Gosh yes, all the ones I alone have seen must obviously be wrong since they weren't set up by someone you know. Yes that makes all sorts of sense.

The tank will function dependent upon what is in it,

Yes that's why I said it would make a good but overpriced shrimp tank.

funny how some people struggle to get their heads round the most simple of things isn't it....

Yes it's something I see frequently on here, it's even more amusing to read after a few drinks as I discovered on Saturday.
 
Most people hold their pets in high regard. Of course you would find something wrong with me thinking my fish is really great, really smart, or supernormal. He must be if he can survive such a horrible living environment. Better yet he's even more clever, sneaking and gasping for air when I'm not looking, and acting normal when I am. He's certainly not ordinary. You're just a meanie.
As a novice, a true newbie, I have to say my overall experience in fishkeeping has been a good one. Definitely more ups than downs, and I know I am still learning. But for a newbie, I've been pretty successful 3months in the game, and I'm proud. Proud of my fish, my tank, and proud of me and my fish/tank maintainance abilities. Maybe the Edge is an imperfect tank, maybe Beau isn't a supernormal fish, but so far and based on your expertise, we've beat the odds. Doesn't require praise or an applause, but what's wrong with words like good luck, or congrats, instead of don't, can't, wrong, and no.
 
what's wrong with words like good luck, or congrats, instead of don't, can't, wrong, and no.

very well said !

the thing is though, alot of people have beliefs of ways of running a tank, and usually cant see passed it, or other ways that may work.

p.s. i still wanna see this betta in the edge tank in the betta section :P
 
On the filtration/aeration note, I didn't notice but the filter does up to 378lph. That's pretty hefty, roughly 16x per hour if you've got it turned up full. The surface agitation from that is going to be lots. Frankly, lots more than on the dull rectangular tanks I've got, and they don't look half as pretty.

Consider also the widespread acceptance of tanks less than half this size, with much less filration and comparatively many fish (just have a nose through the planted journal section).
 
That may be true but the surface are is a few inches square instead of the whole tank surface ( if you've done as is advertised and shown and filled the tank right up to the roof )

Consider also the widespread acceptance of tanks less than half this size, with much less filration and comparatively many fish (just have a nose through the planted journal section).

It never ceases to amaze me.
 
*sigh* The old edge arguament again. Personally, hate them, not gonna spend £70-90 on a 23l tank that (in my opinion) is only suited to shrimps and frogs. (On second thoughts, might make a nice thingy... what're thhey called pallandiums? Where you have land and a bit of water? Whatever, i digress) When I could go to P@H and buy a 23l with just as nice sleek lines and a normal glass lid for £20, that I could keep a betta in quite merrily.

But I'm biased because I'm a betta person, and I'll readily admit that.

Also in my community tank, all of the surface (well, near enough, 90%) has movement, not just 20%, if it ever went down to that I'd think my filter was broken XD
 
it doesn't matter about surface area if only a certain percentage of it is being agitated!
if you have a 12 foot tank with 1 filter outlet in the corner, out of the whole tank only the moving water in that one corner will successfully absorb oxygen to any great extent!
why is this so difficult for your understand????
yes the tank is small, not all tanks are massive!!! there is definitely fish that can live a happy life in the tank, believe it or don't believe it, that is your problem.
the tank does indeed have overly sufficient filtration, being a hob filter it does cause a lot of water circulation, probably nearly 100% of the water is constantly moving. i struggle to believe you know of many tanks that do that.
my 1000 litre tank has near a grands worth of filtration, soon to be nearer £1400 and i would still be hesitant to say it has near that amount of water movement. this tank is costing thousands.
if someone wants to spend £70 of a tidy looking small tank, there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't, the tank is very functional, the only problem is some of the people that buy them, what they stock it with and how they maintain it etc etc. this is the exact same story as any over stocked small tank, just because it is a kit, ready to take away, built by hagen you feel the need to try and put people off it? no need. you seem very highly strung and don't seem to know enough to explain what you are trying to say properly.
would love.... actually id pay! to see you even attempt to build a small, contemporary, functional aquarium with built in filter, light etc for £70!
 
A filter outlet in one corner? No sorry I like spray bars. Aim the holes right and almost the whole surface gets moved.

I'm sorry to say I'm one of the least highly strung people imaginable. You'd get more energy out of a pringles tube.
 
i give up.
can we just agree that the conclusion is;
if someone wants a small neat tank, to keep small inverts or something like microrasbora, it is fine?
it is reasonably well made, like everything made these days, it could be better. its not the best tank in the world, and yes, you could probably set up a small tank from scratch that would be more practical from a livestock point of view, but £70 isn't really that expensive, it does look neat and a lot of people who just want a small aquarium would be really happy with it.
 
I would personally still disagree with it for fish...
Don't you think it's treading to make 'limits'?

Eg. Dimensions, extremely small for most fish (I personally wouldn't put even micro rasbora)
Volume, Same theory
Capacity for Aeration, I don't understand how you get it as being 100% open to air?
Price for what you get...not the greatest value

I wouldn't argue against people buying it. But I personally will always advise against it for anything other than inverts. And even then with whats available for less money...
I've gotta say it is reasonably well made though, certainly couldn't critisise build quality. It's not great...but at the same time it's neat enough and leak proof...which is all you really need.

I know this was probably not a 'broad' question to everyone...but figured it wouldn't hurt to say.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top