Fishless Cycle Log

I am on your side with this one DT. I sure hope you have finally arrived. I would love to see a picture of your tank once you have some fish in it.

Thanks OM, I'm pulling for me too. :lol:

Picked up a Hydor Koralia 2 today at my LFS. Petsmart does not carry very much variety (of anything) so was surprised to find it at the local mom and pop (they consistently undercut the Petsmart).

Will have to play around with location in the tank. My filter output is right to left so I placed the Hydor below and angled slightly down to keep the flow in the same direction. Hopefully this will help with algae accumulation in the sword which is mid-tank.

Hey, this is it.. you had to beat martinking by 1 day and now your bacteria have decided its time to start the qualifying week. Anyway, lets hope so...

Great, so now you and I can find out how much a Koralia might help with the algae thing. I keep forgetting to unplug mine before starting my water change and then I give a yelp when I'm busy with the hose and start to hear the sucking sound of the powerhead sucking air.. just a word to the wise.

Speaking of algae, today my crude understanding took slight step forward as I was reading a Tom Barr link that Aaron put in a thread over in planted about why regular plants are slower to handle CO2 changes than algae can handle it. I've been coming to this realization that big weekly water changes create a pretty big swing in CO2 in a tank where significant CO2 is not added artificially. When CO2 levels are low, plants will build up the biochemical machinery to extract CO2 in a different way. They construct huge RuBisCO enzymes that contribute to the Calvin cycle, fixing the CO2, reducing it and producing simple monosugars to help carry energy throughout the plant. The problem is that when CO2 levels are high the plant will dismantle the RuBisCO pathway and then if its needed again later, the plant is slow to rebuild it. Algae are way faster at these changes. So with non-steady CO2, the plants will not present as much competition for the limited CO2 after they've dismantled their RuBisCO and the algae will have an opening to take hold.

This is the first time I've felt like there is something negative about my regular 50% water changes, which help me bring up my zero KH and low pH among all the other good things. Maybe there's an argument for easing back down toward 30% as long as the nitrate doesn't creep up over time...

~~waterdrop~~

Hey Guys,

Glad to see somebody else has actually had as much of a cycle as I had! :D

Sorry it had to be you though diesel trout! You will be so happy when its finished I promise!

I haven't actually been on the forum for a little while because i've just been really busy but feel free to PM me if you ever need any help or sympathy lol...

All my fish have been really happy ever since they went in (except a suspected case of white spot but that went away in a day, and a whiptail sitting on the heater until it cooked) but everything else has gone without a hitch. Weekly water changes and my tank is great to look at and im still learning all of the different personalities. You wont regret waiting and doing it properly! And your fish will definitley thank you for it!

Hope it all ends well and soon!

Martin

All I got to say is, good job for hanging in there all this time! Hopefully you can start your qualifying week now!

-FHM

Good to hear from you Martin. Glad the process and maintenance have resulted in a healthy tank of fish!

~~waterdrop~~

Yes everything seems to be going well in my tank! Im desperate to get a bigger tank already! But im in the middle of trying to move house!

Are you and oldman47 still doing a great job guiding everybody here? You guys are excellent help!

Cheers

Thanks for everyone's vote of confidence! Things seem to be moving along swimmingly, if only it wasn't for all that crazy dusty looking algae.

Funny you got wind of this thread Martin, especially given the timing!

OM47 and waterdrop have been invaluable resources. Any time you are in the neighborhood you can stop in for a pint! :drinks:

I think that WD and I have become a team act here Martinking. When I see he has someone going in the right direction, I try to stay out of the middle of things but if he is not on line I will step into one of his help threads when the person is looking for help. Now and then we still build on each other to give different perspectives on things.

Thanks for everyone's vote of confidence! Things seem to be moving along swimmingly, if only it wasn't for all that crazy dusty looking algae.

Funny you got wind of this thread Martin, especially given the timing!

OM47 and waterdrop have been invaluable resources. Any time you are in the neighborhood you can stop in for a pint! :drinks:
Well my son had the college trip to Queens in Kingston and really liked it! Its staying on our short list. Sounded really nice with the campus going right down to the water. They have a swim team coached by a grad student that seems like a tightknit group which is good. People were really friendly and welcoming, no matter where about town or what you were doing. All in all a good report. Now its off to Case in Cleveland! WD

So far so good. Day three of double zeros! Need to try and get rid of some of the algae puff balls that collect everywhere. Green algae seems to be reduced somewhat.

I read the Tom Barr link; interesting how the algae will utilize the CO2 so rapidly after a water change. I was wondering why it comes back so quickly.

wow, 3 days, this is starting to look serious - you might have to actually turn your thoughts to stocking lol
Oh but I have! And I do believe you commented on my thread too! :lol:

Here's a question: when I am ready to add fish, should I acclimate my current stock then add brand new critters or should I put in the new guys first?

If you have become attached to your present stock, I would start with some new fish just to be safe. Your cycle has not exactly been a textbook case. Once the new fish give you the all-clear is soon enough to add the fish you have grow to like. In reality either way would work but why risk your established pets in a new tank, if you are going to add to the numbers anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back