Fish supply fail (Pls read fully)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I wanted to get a test kit the most, but the store was sold out of freshwater master test kits. I asked my dad to go to another store, but he refused so I was stuck with what I could get. All the bottles of Prime left were tiny, so I got Aqueon water conditioner instead. Because there weren't test kits, I got test strips and a separate ammonia test bottle because strips don't test for ammonia on their own. I did manage to get new gravel siphon, which I'm happy about. My dad was in charge of getting a tank set up for my betta while I was trying to get chemicals and cleaning supplies. My dad pulled out a 2.5 GALLON SPLIT BETTA TANK. I fought him on that and got a 5 and a half gallon instead. He was tasked with tank set up; (lights, lid, filter, and heater.) I got Seachem stability to add bb to cycle. I didn't get to check what else my dad got until we were home.

He said he couldn't find any good lights or lids. He didn't get a heater either. I said if we don't have heated water the cycle won't work. (And I need the heat for the betta.) He replied that I can just add warm water and if really needed I could pull out the heater from my 20 gallon. No, my 20 gallon needs the heater too and the heater in that isn't meant for a 5 gallon. He did get a filter and sand substrate though. But the filter he got is inappropriate. He got a 3-gallon filter knowing full well the tank we just bought isn't that size. It's also a chemical filter, Seachem stability says it works on biological filters, so I don't know if it'll work. I don't want to throw out the filter because I've already started the cycle.

Any tips for a more successful haul next time? What other items (besides ones I missed) should I get next time that are widely available in stores?

It's summer so don't sweat the heater right now. Be real glad that your Dad is doing all this for you , that's really cool of him. Sounds like you have everything you need of the basics. Do you have a net , thermometer and a couple clean ( for fish use only) 5 gallon buckets ? If so you are good for now. Start haunting garage sales and thrift stores. They almost always have good used aquarium stuff. One last thing : don't get hung up on having to have certain brand name things. Most everything you buy these days is good .

It's summer so don't sweat the heater right now. Be really glad that your dad is doing all this for you, that's really cool of him. Sounds like you have everything you need of the basics. Do you have a net, thermometer and a couple clean (for fish use only) 5-gallon buckets? If so, you are good for now. Start haunting garage sales and thrift stores. They almost always have good used aquarium stuff. One last thing: don't get hung up on having to have certain brand name things. Most everything you buy these days is good.
I have a net, not a thermometer, my 20gallon has a temperature stick on that can't be removed. I don't have any buckets that are that big, the only bucket I have that is that size is the mop bucket, obviously unusable for fish. I've been using a smaller container right now that's not even a gallon; it's not the most efficient but it's all I have.

If what you have is working for you then you are fine for now. The stick on thermometer on your 20 gallon can be used for both aquariums if they are close together. Just assume the temperature is the same in both. Close enough for now until you get another one.

My dad pulled out a 2.5 GALLON SPLIT BETTA TANK. I fought him on that and got a 5 and a half gallon instead.
Well done, good move.

The filter will suffice for one betta, as long as it is low flow, all filters work biologically and mechanically. You can swap the 'chemical' media for sponge in due course.

Next time you could get a heater for the colder months, and a light to allow you to see and enjoy the fish better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back