Fish Suffering At School!

You need to take immediate action on this matter!

First, Print off this thread and show it to her!

If she does not care to read it, read it to her!

After reading this thread, and she still does not want to take your advice or generosity in buying her a new tank, then I would threaten her that you are going to report this to higher authorities!

I mean, come on, if there was like a pet hamster, cat or dog in the class room (just as an example), and those animals where being kept in a small cage all day with poor living requirements, (lack of space = lack of water for fish), (having the animal live in their own waste = uncycled tank), I think there would be some major issues on hand!

The thing is, goldfish, or any other fish for that matter, are seen to people like you teacher as a "come-and-go spur-of-the-moment thing."

She probably thinks that since these fish look okay, based on her knowledge of fish care, then they probably are okay. And if they do die, "who cares, they are cheap and I can some new ones for a couple dollars."

Inchyally, you need to take action at the next possible moment, or I will personlly talk to your teacher face-to-face and tell her whats up! lol

This just seriously ticks me off! You read about it and watch videos of it on youtube, but if you actually are witnessing it and can do something about it, then by all means do something about it!

-FHM

Thank you. :)

I only have her class once a week, but I'll see if I can see her at lunch or something. She seemed not to even want the tank I offered to get her (I thought I could have gotten that sooner than I can, I don't have much money right now). I explained to her that the fish won't live and WILL die and her excuse (they lived a week) is ridiculous. I explained the adult size of the fish and everything.... didn't feel like boring the other students with the nitrogen cycle but she should know that too before purchasing fish! I will tell her one more time that if possible, she can rehome the fish but if need be I will try to. I will tell her about TFF's response. :)

Good deal!

Yeah, keep on pushing, don't back down unless there is absolutely nothing you can do.

They only reason why she probably does not want your advice is because she is the teacher, and she is suppose to tell you/teach you stuff and she sees that she should not learn anything from her students.

She probably has done some searching on the web and is now doing what she read on the web, how to take care of fish.

And she thinks, why should I listen to a 16 year old when I read on the internet what to do?

I hate to say this, but it is probably going to have to get worse before it gets better, it always does, and that means these fish are probably going to die :sad: before she realizes what she is doing is wrong and not working,

It is probably only then when she realizes her way of fish care is not right and will then seek further help, and this will be you in this case!

But I would for sure tell her about us her at TFF!

Print this off and show it to her, or write down the link to this thread and give that to her so she can see it for herself on her own time, as it seems like she will not "break," from her methods and from her current status, to take any advice form you at the current moment!

-FHM

Thanks. :)
If I were to do something right now, I would take the goldfish and put them in one of my tanks. But they are coldwater and my tanks are tropical. I don't want to hurt these fish any more than they have already been. And it is a far ride to my school (an hour) and I don't think they would let me take fish on my bus. :( Maybe I can look at Wal-Mart for a tank. They have the cheapest tanks around, though I am unfamiliar with the tank brand they sell so I just stick to the name brands (I have a Tetra and an Aqueon) but even a cheap tank is better than the puddle...

One more thing. She probably.... definitely has no idea what 'cycling' is, even though it would be impossible to cycle the unfiltered puddle. But I did write an essay on cycling fish tanks in science class and got a great grade on it, maybe I shiould show it to her. :fun:

But in all seriousness, if she refuses any more, I'll show her this.

[/quote]

I can't find a picture of the 'puddle' but even newts would escape it. There is no hood. Just imagine a plastic blue plate with an inch of depth filled with water, with a plastic palm tree taking up half of the center.
[/quote]

Unbelievable!

-FHM

disgusting #

you could always get a clear plastic storage bin and tell her to house them in that

You need to take immediate action on this matter!

First, Print off this thread and show it to her!

If she does not care to read it, read it to her!

After reading this thread, and she still does not want to take your advice or generosity in buying her a new tank, then I would threaten her that you are going to report this to higher authorities!

I mean, come on, if there was like a pet hamster, cat or dog in the class room (just as an example), and those animals where being kept in a small cage all day with poor living requirements, (lack of space = lack of water for fish), (having the animal live in their own waste = uncycled tank), I think there would be some major issues on hand!

The thing is, goldfish, or any other fish for that matter, are seen to people like you teacher as a "come-and-go spur-of-the-moment thing."

She probably thinks that since these fish look okay, based on her knowledge of fish care, then they probably are okay. And if they do die, "who cares, they are cheap and I can some new ones for a couple dollars."

Inchyally, you need to take action at the next possible moment, or I will personlly talk to your teacher face-to-face and tell her whats up! lol

This just seriously ticks me off! You read about it and watch videos of it on youtube, but if you actually are witnessing it and can do something about it, then by all means do something about it!

-FHM

Thank you. :)

I only have her class once a week, but I'll see if I can see her at lunch or something. She seemed not to even want the tank I offered to get her (I thought I could have gotten that sooner than I can, I don't have much money right now). I explained to her that the fish won't live and WILL die and her excuse (they lived a week) is ridiculous. I explained the adult size of the fish and everything.... didn't feel like boring the other students with the nitrogen cycle but she should know that too before purchasing fish! I will tell her one more time that if possible, she can rehome the fish but if need be I will try to. I will tell her about TFF's response. :)

Good deal!

Yeah, keep on pushing, don't back down unless there is absolutely nothing you can do.

They only reason why she probably does not want your advice is because she is the teacher, and she is suppose to tell you/teach you stuff and she sees that she should not learn anything from her students.

She probably has done some searching on the web and is now doing what she read on the web, how to take care of fish.

And she thinks, why should I listen to a 16 year old when I read on the internet what to do?

I hate to say this, but it is probably going to have to get worse before it gets better, it always does, and that means these fish are probably going to die :sad: before she realizes what she is doing is wrong and not working,

It is probably only then when she realizes her way of fish care is not right and will then seek further help, and this will be you in this case!

But I would for sure tell her about us her at TFF!

Print this off and show it to her, or write down the link to this thread and give that to her so she can see it for herself on her own time, as it seems like she will not "break," from her methods and from her current status, to take any advice form you at the current moment!

-FHM

Thanks. :)
If I were to do something right now, I would take the goldfish and put them in one of my tanks. But they are coldwater and my tanks are tropical. I don't want to hurt these fish any more than they have already been. And it is a far ride to my school (an hour) and I don't think they would let me take fish on my bus. :( Maybe I can look at Wal-Mart for a tank. They have the cheapest tanks around, though I am unfamiliar with the tank brand they sell so I just stick to the name brands (I have a Tetra and an Aqueon) but even a cheap tank is better than the puddle...

One more thing. She probably.... definitely has no idea what 'cycling' is, even though it would be impossible to cycle the unfiltered puddle. But I did write an essay on cycling fish tanks in science class and got a great grade on it, maybe I shiould show it to her. :fun:

But in all seriousness, if she refuses any more, I'll show her this.

Yup, all you can do now is just keep on pushing!

Keep on talking to her about it and hope she will come around!

Also, goldfish can survive in a heated tank.

You just need to properly acclimate the goldfish to your tank at your house, that way they will get use to the new temp before you add them to the tank.

-FHM

Have another word with her and tell her two key facts -

1) Goldfish can live for 30 years. If she thinks it being alive after a week is an indication of good care, that's like saying you can have a baby and treat is badly, and if it lives for a few days, you're doing great.

2) Goldfish can get to 2 foot long. Even the little ones from pet shops. They are not a different species. Would she keep a puppy in a shoebox?

If she doesn't respond after a second conversation, report her to the principal and let him know that you'll get animal welfare people and the local news on the case if he doesn't sort it out. Give him a care sheet for goldfish when you do it. Also, give him the option of letting you have the fish. Even if you can't give them a long term home, you could foster them until you find someone to take them.

Personally I think that showing her this thread or threatening to contact animal welfare is the wrong route to take, because it's not really teaching her much of what she needs to know. It's easy enough to just say "So what if some random people on the internet agree with you?".

The better course of action IMO would be to do some printouts from other areas of this site which detail both how to take care of fish, and the consequences of not doing so. You could also consider writing up a research paper on the subject, complete with sources which helps to prove your point, and would be a better indicator of how serious you are about the whole matter. Putting forth that type of effort also makes a better case if you decide to contact an admin about the issue because you'll have evidence that not only is she wrong, but you've supplied her with the information to correct the issue.

Do you have boot sales/craigslist in the US? You could get a suitably sized tank a lot cheaper than the 10 gall from the LFS from there. Sounds like they need help asap though. Do you have a school nurse or other adult at school who's not a teacher? Maybe try the science technicians, they should understand better (I'd help if it were me, in fact I have found a tank for poorly housed axolotls at school :))
Hope you get somewhere with it :good:

I've kept goldifsh and they have lovely little personalitys. It breaks my heart to see them not looked after properly.

Hi Inchyally :)

You might try explaining this to your science teacher. He/she might understand and intercede with the other teacher for you. If you have to do a science project this year, this could be it. :D

Hi Inchyally :)

You might try explaining this to your science teacher. He/she might understand and intercede with the other teacher for you. If you have to do a science project this year, this could be it. :D
Good plan.

Tell the science teacher about the ammonia production from the fish and how with no filtration and in such a small volume of water the ammonia will accumulate because there is no real biological filtration to break it down into nitrite and then nitrate.
They will understand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back