Fish Suffering At School!

taking them one was only if he could realy do it ... its unfair to ask that much... just because thier teacher is ignorant

truck .. it probably is.. they are cheap and ive never seen fancy goldfish been won at a fair

How sad. I'm lucky my teacher has brains. We had a single goldfish in a 10 gal (a little small i know) BUT she actually cycled it! =D. She gave it to a kid at the end of the year, don't think it is living well (Or living at all) =[.
This year she got a couple of Cherry Barbs, much more appropirate. I love her.

I could forgive your teacher if it was in a tank, uncycled, with a filter, but lacking water? News flash! Fish need water to live!

new flash... i dont think i could understand an un filtered goldfish tank ... i get the betta thing ... but golfish ... #41#### how does she sleep

Get your parents to complain to the Head. If they say it's causing all the kids stress then that should help and they should at least look at the situation.

If nothing is done, how about buying a cheap tank for them?

At my school in a 40g there is a small plec, a type of cichlid, a congo tetra, a red rainbow and a bala shark [I think]
next to it in a 20g is a black moor
in a 10g is an albino axolotl. They all have filters, planted etc.. so someone in the school knows the basics/

It's good to hear that other schools take care of their fish. This is worse than even a bowl. I went to Petco today, they sell 10gal setups for just under $50. That is a bit expensive for an unemployed 16 year old. :\ And still, too small for the long term. But better than a puddle. And this is a private school an hour from my house. My water is chlorine-free but this may have chlorine.... making these goldfish suffer more! I would get the tank but my teacher seems not even to care about the fish. I looked at the fish (no cover) and they were really skittish. :( My teacher said "They have so much energy!" but there was something WRONG in how they were darting from one side of the 'puddle' to another. Not very.... goldfish like, even though I haven't kept them, it was unusual behavior.

You need to take immediate action on this matter!

First, Print off this thread and show it to her!

If she does not care to read it, read it to her!

After reading this thread, and she still does not want to take your advice or generosity in buying her a new tank, then I would threaten her that you are going to report this to higher authorities!

I mean, come on, if there was like a pet hamster, cat or dog in the class room (just as an example), and those animals where being kept in a small cage all day with poor living requirements, (lack of space = lack of water for fish), (having the animal live in their own waste = uncycled tank), I think there would be some major issues on hand!

The thing is, goldfish, or any other fish for that matter, are seen to people like you teacher as a "come-and-go spur-of-the-moment thing."

She probably thinks that since these fish look okay, based on her knowledge of fish care, then they probably are okay. And if they do die, "who cares, they are cheap and I can some new ones for a couple dollars."

Inchyally, you need to take action at the next possible moment, or I will personlly talk to your teacher face-to-face and tell her whats up! lol

This just seriously ticks me off! You read about it and watch videos of it on youtube, but if you actually are witnessing it and can do something about it, then by all means do something about it!

-FHM

find someone with a pond steel the fish tell her they died and keep doing it if she buys more then get her some mor sutable fish/shrimp

After reading this thread, and she still does not want to take your advice or generosity in buying her a new tank, then I would threaten her that you are going to report this to higher authorities!

I mean, come on, if there was like a pet hamster, cat or dog in the class room (just as an example), and those animals where being kept in a small cage all day with poor living requirements, (lack of space = lack of water for fish), (having the animal live in their own waste = uncycled tank), I think there would be some major issues on hand!

The thing is, goldfish, or any other fish for that matter, are seen to people like you teacher as a "come-and-go spur-of-the-moment thing."

She probably thinks that since these fish look okay, based on her knowledge of fish care, then they probably are okay. And if they do die, "who cares, they are cheap and I can some new ones for a couple dollars."

Inchyally, you need to take action at the next possible moment, or I will personlly talk to your teacher face-to-face and tell her whats up! lol

This just seriously ticks me off! You read about it and watch videos of it on youtube, but if you actually are witnessing it and can do something about it, then by all means do something about it!

-FHM

Thank you. :)

I only have her class once a week, but I'll see if I can see her at lunch or something. She seemed not to even want the tank I offered to get her (I thought I could have gotten that sooner than I can, I don't have much money right now). I explained to her that the fish won't live and WILL die and her excuse (they lived a week) is ridiculous. I explained the adult size of the fish and everything.... didn't feel like boring the other students with the nitrogen cycle but she should know that too before purchasing fish! I will tell her one more time that if possible, she can rehome the fish but if need be I will try to. I will tell her about TFF's response. :)

make her join tff

find someone with a pond steel the fish tell her they died and keep doing it if she buys more then get her some mor sutable fish/shrimp

I don't think anything is suitable for this habitat. It is about 6in by 6in long and in inch deep in water. Nothing can live in that properly except for.... bacteria and algae. :crazy:

And I don't know anyone with a pond, it gets cold here in the winter, you can't really have one here. :(

oh they may be to big but fire belly nutes may be ok

also steal them and take them back to your lfs lol

oh they may be to big but fire belly nutes may be ok

also steal them and take them back to your lfs lol

I can't find a picture of the 'puddle' but even newts would escape it. There is no hood. Just imagine a plastic blue plate with an inch of depth filled with water, with a plastic palm tree taking up half of the center.

ah steal the fish and accidentl knock the puddle off the counter lol

-FHM

Thank you. :)

I only have her class once a week, but I'll see if I can see her at lunch or something. She seemed not to even want the tank I offered to get her (I thought I could have gotten that sooner than I can, I don't have much money right now). I explained to her that the fish won't live and WILL die and her excuse (they lived a week) is ridiculous. I explained the adult size of the fish and everything.... didn't feel like boring the other students with the nitrogen cycle but she should know that too before purchasing fish! I will tell her one more time that if possible, she can rehome the fish but if need be I will try to. I will tell her about TFF's response. :)

Good deal!

Yeah, keep on pushing, don't back down unless there is absolutely nothing you can do.

They only reason why she probably does not want your advice is because she is the teacher, and she is suppose to tell you/teach you stuff and she sees that she should not learn anything from her students.

She probably has done some searching on the web and is now doing what she read on the web, how to take care of fish.

And she thinks, why should I listen to a 16 year old when I read on the internet what to do?

I hate to say this, but it is probably going to have to get worse before it gets better, it always does, and that means these fish are probably going to die :sad: before she realizes what she is doing is wrong and not working,

It is probably only then when she realizes her way of fish care is not right and will then seek further help, and this will be you in this case!

But I would for sure tell her about us her at TFF!

Print this off and show it to her, or write down the link to this thread and give that to her so she can see it for herself on her own time, as it seems like she will not "break," from her methods and from her current status, to take any advice form you at the current moment!

-FHM

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back