Fish rolling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rick147

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hiya,

Some of my fish are turning and like trying to scratch themselves on the gravel ( I know they aren't doing that but Its the best example)

6 blue eye
6 rainbow

I would guess around 8 weeks old

Also another question how do you tell male from female

In regard to the "rolling" motions...frequently caused by water chemistry issues irritating them

Please test the water and post the numbers. Thank you

Its called flashing and as mentioned is a sign of problems. It can be a sign they have a disease like Ich or it can be a sign there is ammonia or nitrite in the water and its burning them.

From the pictures you've shared before your fish are older than 8 weeks but too small at this stage to sex them.

Wills

Yes it’s flashing, could also be a sign of something irritating skin. I’ve occasionally had flashing when I’ve added salt.

The tank has been set up 8 weeks, the fish in there now are new to the tank.

What some members are wondering is if the tank has actually cycled. First a mixture of fish was put in a brand new tank ("cycled" for 7 days). These were taken back to the shop and the tank left empty. A second batch of fish (Rift Lake cichlids) was put in the tank, then returned to the shop and the tank left empty. Finally these American cichlids were added to the tank around 11 May (that's when the OP first posted about them)

@Rick147 The most likely cause is ammonia and/or nitrite in the water. It is very easy to tell if this is actually the cause - just test the tank water. If both are zero, then there's something going on but you need to eliminate water conditions before considering other causes.

I will test now again.

However I have been on top of this and done continuous water changes so there was no problems

I test now anyway but was all good 48 hours ago

I will test now again.

However I have been on top of this and done continuous water changes so there was no problems

I test now anyway but was all good 48 hours ago

Well any amount of ammonia or nitrite in the water will cause irritation. So yes you were doing water changes but it would have been in the water to some degree before the water was changed.

Test the water and post the parameters

I know some people are waiting to say I told you so..

unfortunately
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate just on 5
Ph 7.2 Maybe little low.

Also it was only 1 fish if that means anything

Could you just open this link (Sydney water company) and add your postal code where it asks for it, then screenshot your results from their website please

So far you have only posted your own tests, it would be useful to actually see what your water company says

It’s 78 total hardness
Which is too soft.

Are all these fish going to be floating dead now like all the others.

The way it seems basically I can keep goldfish, or I shouldn’t keep them either

Can you post the screenshot please as the full analysis will be helpful on your fish choices and their health

Attachments

• CC0857C7-FEEA-4732-A33A-5A02B01642B8.png
    CC0857C7-FEEA-4732-A33A-5A02B01642B8.png
    268.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 4DB0E2D1-DF92-47D4-B3B9-76E2715487E9.png
    4DB0E2D1-DF92-47D4-B3B9-76E2715487E9.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 45
OK...your test result of 7.2 on the pH and the water company's 7.6 minimum.....what are you adding to lower the pH? A difference of .4 might seem tiny to us humans but actually can sometimes make a difference to different species of fish. Any drop or rise in pH can on occasions be harmful....consistent pH is really essential for fish health.

You can also see for yourself why the African Cichlids needed to go back, they need hard water...which as you can see, your's isn't. So we were justified in telling you that they were not suited to your water...would you not agree?

I know some people are waiting to say I told you so..

unfortunately
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate just on 5
Ph 7.2 Maybe little low.

Also it was only 1 fish if that means anything
Honestly no one was waiting to say that, we just want you to succeed :) sometimes tone and meaning can be lost in typed messages but we are on your side!

If water levels are reading as above though lets have a think about other causes - These fish have been in the tank about 2 weeks right? That could be about the right timing for an ich outbreak which is sometimes just something that happens. Can you see any white grains on the fish?

Other thing to check have you added any chemicals or anything new to the tank in the last few days? Also has anything been sprayed in the room recently such as air fresheners, cleaning products or paint?

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back