Fish rolling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

OK...your test result of 7.2 on the pH and the water company's 7.6 minimum.....what are you adding to lower the pH? A difference of .4 might seem tiny to us humans but actually can sometimes make a difference to different species of fish. Any drop or rise in pH can on occasions be harmful....consistent pH is really essential for fish health.

You can also see for yourself why the African Cichlids needed to go back, they need hard water...which as you can see, your's isn't. So we were justified in telling you that they were not suited to your water...would you not agree?

No I never said you werenā€™t justified

My frustration is that those fish I returned are in the same water Iā€™m using. No buffered because I asked the shop.

Itā€™s frustrating as you walk into any shop and see thousands of fish. You pick some and you leave.

Only a very very small percentage of people come on the internet to learn more about their fish.

If I never did Iā€™d still have some angels and mollys. And most likely they would still be swimming and I wouldnā€™t think twice.

ā€¦

Apart from that, the fish look healthy, they are growing and each day are showing more colour, I will try post a vid

What fish have been in this tank altogether?

I can find reference to:
#1 a couple of gold fish for a week
#2 mollies, angels and clown loaches. These were returned to the store.
#3 2 weeks later Rift Lake cichlids were added, which were then returned to the store.
#4 some time after this, rainbow and blue eye cichlids were added.

All in the space of 8 weeks.

Have there been any other fish?

Ok I found it.
The fish thatā€™s rolling has maybe 2-3 very tiny white spots

The white dot on its nose isnā€™t the glass itā€™s on the fish

Attachments

• 098FD2CD-6EFE-4FAF-ABF9-82E30F4EAD6D.png
    098FD2CD-6EFE-4FAF-ABF9-82E30F4EAD6D.png
    579.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 38C0E250-A18D-44AF-921C-0FE7B65D685F.jpeg
    38C0E250-A18D-44AF-921C-0FE7B65D685F.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 43
This is why some of us have been getting frustrated with you @Rick147

When starting out with keeping fish, you need to learn and complete the cycling process fully, then you need to look up your water analysis from your supplier and then research and choose the fish that will thrive in that water...not blindly buy fish willy nilly and expect them to thrive in water that is simply unsuited to them without any researching first

We have tried to explain this to you and you took that advice really badly and...tbh...lost your temper more than once with us.

So many of us have tried to advise you and you have thrown it right back at us......now you can see by your water company website, what sort of water chemistry you have and can now research the most appropriate fish for that water chemistry.

We are more than happy to help you but you also need to want to learn.

Post up video via YT if you can so that we can see exactly what is going on with them, please

Screenshot 2022-05-20 at 12.24.16.png

Are these spots I've ringed in black on the fish or in the water? If they are on the fish you likely have ich in the tank.

Wills

Tbh Iā€™m just gunna treat them for Ich.
Then take them back,

This whole fish keeping this isnā€™t as fun as I remember. I really liked these fish

One of the side effects of pH instability is the flashing or fitting you are seeing in the fish...there are other reasons too such as Ich...but your own test result is not matching the water company analysis and that water company analysis is not showing a stable pH, there is a significant upper and lower pH quoted for your postal code

The instability can and does cause pH shock...a symptom of which is the flashing ot the appearance of fitting.

Tbh Iā€™m just gunna treat them for Ich.
Then take them back,

This whole fish keeping this isnā€™t as fun as I remember. I really liked these fish
OK....what you need to do is get the aquarium(s) sorted out, cycled and stable.

You now know what your water chemistry is from the tap....you can either research fish that will easily thrive in that water or (if like me the water is lousy or cannot offer the right chemistry for the fish you want) buy bottled water or maybe look at going with reverse osmosis - which has its own set of hurdles to get over.

Don't get disillusioned
Don't lose your temper

That gets you absolutely nowhere fast.

Now we know what the water from your tap is actually like...you can research fish and then ask if they are suited BEFORE possibly wasting more money buying them.

Calm down, take a deep breath....years ago water comapnies didn't add half of what they do now to tapwater and yes, keeping fish was a damned sight easier...but you can learn how to get that perfect sweet spot if you are prepared to take advice given from people like us...and not the recommendations of a shopworker who only interest is getting a commission in his or her pay packet in sales of fish and chemicals

So these fish still shouldnā€™t be kept in Sydney water?

Second: I obviously just buy medication to treat the Ich

So these fish still shouldnā€™t be kept in Sydney water?

Second: I obviously just buy medication to treat the Ich
Tbh the hardness is maybe a little on the low end for them....but others can advise on that for you

You do not necessarily need to dive into medications for Ich

If you slowly increase the heat over a day to around the 84-86 and keep it there for two weeks, add a bubbler or venturi to keep the water well aerated (warmer water loses oxygenation). Daily water changes of around 50% and gravel vac alternate days for that 2 weeks and you should get rid of it without the need of chemicals/medications

Medications should only be used if after 2 weeks, there is no improvement in the fish

Tbh the hardness is maybe a little on the low end for them....but others can advise on that for you

You do not necessarily need to dive into medications for Ich

If you slowly increase the heat over a day to around the 84-86 and keep it there for two weeks, add a bubbler or venturi to keep the water well aerated (warmer water loses oxygenation). Daily water changes of around 50% and gravel vac alternate days for that 2 weeks and you should get rid of it without the need of chemicals/medications

Medications should only be used if after 2 weeks, there is no improvement in the fish

I will start asap

If someone can advise on water hardness and if I should just return these ā€¦

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back