Fish Of The Week - Wrasses

Remember, this is a shared and ongoing resource, so don't forget to pop back and update us with your new photos and experiences in the coming months

My newest addition:

IMG_0028.jpg

Lubouti Fairy Wrasse - what a glorious fish

Seffie x

Nice Addtion Seffie :good:

Better add my Rhomboid to the link still settling in colours are not fully matured yet but still one of my favorite fish.

DSC03231.jpg

Just thought i would share these! I dont have them but would love one of those red sea eightlines and perhaps a mccoskers

wow.jpg

eightline.jpg

looks like im the only one here with a dragon wrasse? :)
i love my one! she is a little #29### with moving rocks, but still amazing to watch :)

31151_10150203639595265_759975264_12240664_4449731_n.jpg

yeah i know they get big :)
at the mo she is in my rio 180.
eventually i will be adding a larger 6ft tank to my house and she can go across to that one :)
for now she will be ok though, i am pretty sure it will take a while for her to get full size

yeah i know they get big :)
at the mo she is in my rio 180.
eventually i will be adding a larger 6ft tank to my house and she can go across to that one :)
for now she will be ok though, i am pretty sure it will take a while for her to get full size

they grow pretty quickly actually, change colour and get pretty aggressive and arrange your tank how it suits them. plus you have next to no chance in re-homing a large one as most people dont want them, not really a fish often considered.

oh noooo!
ok, well im trying to find out if my vision 180 will be large enough to house just the dragon wrasse, my foxface and a volitan lion.
if it can then ill go ahead and change it from freshwater to marine :)

oh noooo!
ok, well im trying to find out if my vision 180 will be large enough to house just the dragon wrasse, my foxface and a volitan lion.
if it can then ill go ahead and change it from freshwater to marine :)

no, less fish doesnt make them stay smaller...you still got two potentially really big fish.

Need to add my newest wrasse addition - the labouti, have you got any to add?

Seffie x

My wrasse :)

Cleaner Wrasse:
I had a big debate with myself over getting this fish. Its one that I strongly believe is better left in the ocean as it has a very low success rate in captivity (mainly due to being difficult to get eating enough). This guy is one of the reasons I now feed 4 times a day and chop my frozen food up into small bits. They have very small mouths and even small mysis shrimp can be too big for them to eat whole.

Generally I would not recommend keeping these fish unless you are willing to feed chopped frozen every day (assuming they take it).

Watching other fish interact with the cleaner wrasse is amazing though. The anthia's hover vertically in the water coloumn and completely open their gill covers for the cleaner wrasse to clean them.
fishfrom4507thjune2010083.jpg

Halichores iridis Radiant Wrasse:
I love this fish. Colours are so stunning and it is my favourite. The only down side is that it sleeps in the sand and likes to "play" in the sand too (so constantly kicking it up). Not a big issue but just need to make sure that no corals are kept near where it sleeps. As mentioned this wrasse sleeps in the sand so it is needed (which is a shame as I prefer a bare bottom tank). This one has been easy to keep. Feeds well on everything (and I do mean everything). Very active all over the tank during the day and hides under the sand when the lights go out.
fishfrom4507thjune2010089.jpg

fishfrom4507thjune2010070.jpg

fishfrom4507thjune2010025.jpg

African Cirrhilabrus exquisitus Fairy Wrasse:
Very similar to the above wrasse in terms of activity, feeding and temperament (both very peaceful and these two often swim around together). Not sure where this guy sleeps (seems to be in the rockwork). Ours unfortunately managed to damage one of its eyes and had pop eye for a few weeks. It seems to be recovering well now though.
fishfrom4507thjune2010087.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back