Fish Of The Week - Wrasses

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
Fish of the week - Wrasses

I know we have more than a few

Wrasse lovers on here and some

real beauties are/have been

swimming around in your tanks,

so come on, let's see and hear

all about this group of fish

Bring on the Wrasses....................

Archived Fish of Week Threads

Only got one here......

IMGP6786-1-1.jpg

IMGP6774.jpg

IMGP4647.jpg

IMGP4646.jpg

Cleaner wrasse in action.

These guys can be tricky to settle, often wasting away quickly, however i've been lucky with this one, being here since november now. He not only picks his tankmates clean but happily eats a variety of frozen foods as well as flake and pellets. He also is surprisingly fond of algae sheets as well and eats quite a bit of this daily..

This is the maldive fairy wrasse I lost recently when it jumped out of my open top tank while I was out....

IMGP4260-1.jpg

Ooo yes and coming soon to a tank near here.....

Daves20Camera2022004820Medium.jpg

Mystery wrasse arriving shortly.
These little guys , mature at around 3", are aggressive and should be added late to any system..they make 6 line/pyjama wrasse look cuddly... :lol: :lol:

Being a cousin of the wrasse this little guy might belong here too...

IMGP6856.jpg

twinspot hogfish
These guys sleep in coccoons similar to wrasse but prefer to overnight below a rock rather than in the sand bed. Easy to maintain and feed and reach a size of around 4" and prefer a tank of over 30 gallons.

Love wrasse. One of my favourites.

Filamented Flasher Wrasse

Mine eating Nori

2009_0819Reef0031.jpg

2009_0522Reef0136a.jpg

2009_0522Reef0147a.jpg

2009_0527Reef0020a.jpg

2009_0526Reef0031a.jpg

2009_0526Reef0033a.jpg

This next one, I had in the Nano. It got very stressed in the upgrade and did not make it.

2009_0430nanoreef0030a.jpg

2009_0430nanoreef0028a.jpg

2009_0430nanoreef0003a.jpg

2009_0428nanoreef0088a.jpg

2009_0426nanoreef0046a.jpg

Something I touched on earlier but we all forgot to mention....

THESE GUYS LOVE TO JUMP !!!!!!!!

take care when introducing them and keep an eye on them for a while until settled......

SN850577.jpg

SN850576.jpg

SN850575.jpg

Flasher Wrasse had him for 1 week now, those were pictures on day 2 though. First day it went straight into the rocks with patchy colour as if it was going to sleep. 2nd day it was out and flashing and doing everything normal. Every night just after lights out the wrasse sleeps in the live rock however now it seems to like to sleep at the front of the tank of the sandbed under the big shell that my blenny came in.

Didn't know wrasses ate nori! Seems that my blenny, my wrasse and my future angelfish will eat it now :).

I have:

Scotts fairy wrasse - have yet to be able to get a photo :crazy:

Equisite Fairy wrasse - very poor photo!

moto_0346.jpg

Carpenters Flasher wrasse, again an awful photo, but they move so fast and that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it :p

2009_0828tryfirst0018.jpg

Fairy wrasses are fairly peaceful fish and will not get on with aggressive fish. Interestingly the males will often lose their colour if they do not have any females in the tank or any other males of another co-species. My carpenters is a funny chap, takes no notice of the fairy wrasses but flashes at the chromis!

I am beginning to wonder if i actually have a female Scotts, s/he is less colourful then i would expect - but then of course he could of lost his colour before i got him because there were no females around. The fairy wrasses seem to be getting ' friendly' :lol:

And as Bud said - you must have a covered tank, several people on here have learnt that lesson the hard way :sad:

Seffie x

:fish:

Luke, yours looks like a juvie Carpenters - the Mckoskers, doesn't have a white tummy :good:

I think you picked the hardest fish to photograph :(
They run from the camera!

My favorites have got to be Lubbock's and Scott's.
Dragon wrasses are beauties too... If only they weren't so big and naughty :no:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back