First Timer - 1 Week In :)

smithyithy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys, Chris - 22. I've wanted a fish tank of some kind for ages, and having recently started a new job I decided to go for it and get a tropical.

I went to HollyBush in the West Midlands and picked up a 140L tank with filter, heater and lighting. It also came with a tall plastic push-together cabinet that was, frankly, abysmal. So the same day as I got the tank home we ran back out to IKEA and picked up a nice table for the tank. It sits much lower to the floor now so it's easier to work on.

My room's in the loft you see, so it was quite difficult to fill the tank but we got there in the end lol. I set the tank up, added the clean gravel substrate and background and filled it up.

So far I've just let the dechlorinated water warm up and filter through, I need to wait until I'm paid this Friday before finishing the setup, ie. decor, plants, wood, rock, ammonia, test kits etc etc.

Anyway, pictures!

Got the tank home, not easy to carry up 2 flights on twisty stairs!

IMG_1206.jpg

On the new table:

IMG_1207.jpg

Filter:

IMG_1208.jpg

Heater, I've since moved this closer to the pump:

IMG_1209.jpg

Feeding flap:

IMG_1210.jpg

Light flap:

IMG_1211.jpg

Filter cover:

IMG_1212.jpg

Came with this:

IMG_1213.jpg

Cleaned my gravel:

IMG_1214.jpg

Choosing which side of background:

IMG_1216.jpg

Sticking it on, yes, it's incredibly awkward to work in this room lol:

IMG_1217.jpg

Nice:

IMG_1218.jpg

Adding gravel:

IMG_1219.jpg

Level, slightly sloped towards the back:

IMG_1220.jpg

Quarter full. It's full now but I haven't got the pics off my phone.

:)

Chris.

It is exciting isn't it? It is very nice to sit and stare at the underwater world and the life inside. And it is double rewarding taking care of your tank and your fish to see brilliant colors and personalities as well as possibly fry! I have had many a tank, but nothing over a 29 gallon. Oh how I envy you! :fun: Please let me know what kind of fish you plan on putting in the tank? I would just die to have my platys in there, haha.

Yeah I find it very calming, can't wait to get all my plants and fish in there and happy, but I know it takes time and patience.

I'm not 100% sure which fish combinations I'll choose yet, I need to test to compatibility and such.. But definitely a nice variety :)

I'm waiting on pay day now though, and I only have weekends free to do any shopping. I'm going shop-hunting this weekend, I need to find a few reputable local aquatic stores, the place I bought my tank from are a large store and I haven't heard great things about their fish or service.

Hi there! First tanks are always a blast, and by your pictures I assume you are already having fun! I do hope you have had a read about cycling your filter. If not, please go have a read in the beginner section so you won't buy fish without being fully prepared :) Keep the photos coming, it's the best part of this forum :)

Just in case---beginner

Welcome mate you're not too far from me (Birmingham - Sutton coldfield) Hope you're enjoying yourself!

Sam

Welcome to the forum :) nice little tank you have there :good: looking forward to seeing more pics and seeing how your getting on. My advice to you is don't buy any fish until you have cycled your tank/filter using household ammonia. You will also need to get yourself a water testing kit to monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. The API liquid master kit is the best IMO.

Have a read through the "Fishless Cycling" thread in the beginners section to get clued up :) FishFanatic04 has kindly posted the link above ^ ^
Apologies in advance if you have already had a read or already know about the nitrogen cycle...

Don't be surprised if you catch the bug and end up with multiple tanks lol I started off with a little 60 litre which I told my girlfriend would be big enough but then I had a 130 litre, 150 litre, 2 x 180 litres, 260 litre, 350 litre... Now on a 450 litre and soon to be taking delivery of an 800 litre. All withimg the space of 2 years lol glad she is so understanding haha

Sounds like you're addicted lol!

Yeah guys I definitely won't be getting any fish until the tank is properly cycled :)

Hello and :hi:

I don't live far from you, I'm in Cannock. You got a nice set up there.

You are right, Hollybush is not the best place to get fish from. Their fish are not the healthiest and it is very much hit and miss with them. Often you find dead fish in the tanks that nobody cares about removing so you know to better not get any. I still go there often though just to show my son the fish and pets, he loves them :rolleyes: I just don't buy there.
The staff isn't very knowledgeable and especially for someone starting out with many questions they wouldn't be able to give you advice.

If you can travel a little I can highly recommend Ripples Waterlife click link. They have four stores in our area. The closest to you should be the one in Shenstone and that's the one I go to. It is the smallest one, but they still have a great selection. Anyway, at Ripples all staff are fishkeepers themselves. When you enter you see pictures all over the walls from their tanks and their fish. They have a vast knowledge and they are happy to help you with compatibility and just general advice on fish and how to keep them. Prices are also very good.

If you are happy to travel even further, Wharf Aquatics in Pinxton is huge and one of the best in the country link. It is worth going there and you will have healthy fish. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they even have mature media that you could get. Media is the sponge stuff that goes into your filter, which would kickstart your cycle big time.

If you have any more questions, so ask away, we will help you set up your new tank. I started with one tank one year ago, I now have nine. Addiction? Yes :lol:

:hi: The new tank looks lovely Chris, good luck with it!
Dbanner and Salam, I'm jealous. I'd love more tanks but not until I come into a few quid I'm afraid. :fish:

Dbanner and Salam, I'm jealous. I'd love more tanks but not until I come into a few quid I'm afraid. :fish:

I had a very fortunate and unexpected tax return from 2006/2007. This was my face when I got it ---> :hyper: Without that I would be still on 'only' five tanks, mainly on the smaller side.

Thanks for the advice Salam, it's good to know some local people that can recommend shops :)

I'm going shop hunting this weekend so I'll try to pop in a few of the ones I've been told about.

I'm going to try to get some mature media too as it seems to be the main suggestion from people to a beginner like myself.

Hey, nice tank!

That is one niiiiiice feeding flap ya' got there :good:

:rofl:

Sounds like you're addicted lol!

Yeah guys I definitely won't be getting any fish until the tank is properly cycled :)
Yep you could say that... But it's sooo easy to get hooked when you start. You find yourself saying each time you get a bigger tank "right, that's huge, not guna need a bigger tank".... Then before you know it your huge tank starts to look small and your online looking for bigger lol

Thanks for the advice Salam, it's good to know some local people that can recommend shops :)

I'm going shop hunting this weekend so I'll try to pop in a few of the ones I've been told about.

I'm going to try to get some mature media too as it seems to be the main suggestion from people to a beginner like myself.

Mature media would virtually eliminate cycling depending on how much you can get, but it would definitely give you a kick start so you don't have to wait for up to two months. I'd have offered some of mine, but I needed it myself for the latest tank.

Have fun shop hunting. Ripples is really great, never had any dead fish from there and the advice is excellent.

What I also suggest is to take a writing pad and paper and jot down all the fish you like. Then show us your list and we can get you a nice stocking for your tank with a nice mix of top middle and bottom swimmers and compatible fish.

Oh, and do you know your ph and hardness? That would also help determine which fish would be happiest in your tank. If you don't have a testing kit yet, just take some water to Ripples or wherever you go and they'll test it for you. You just need ph and GH at the moment.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back