Firemouth Fry!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Some of themare starting to get big :) very cute.

They do have a lot more colour, I scared them while trying to get some pictures. The bigger ones now have the red throats, which is cool.

Westwood

They are looking great. i am looking to get a breeding pair as well. how do you recommend i do that ? I already have a gorgous male and was wondering if i should add a few more females to the tank until they pair ?

They are looking great. i am looking to get a breeding pair as well. how do you recommend i do that ? I already have a gorgous male and was wondering if i should add a few more females to the tank until they pair ?

I am not really sure how the male would react, but if you have plenty hiding places, I can not see it doing too much harm.

Westwood

How big must they before before you can tell the gender?

How big must they before before you can tell the gender?
You can never be sure on the sex until they spawn. They say some females are smaller and have less colouration, but this is not always true.

Westwood

Hi all,
Thought it would be a good idea to share my progress of my Firemouths and their fry. This is my first batch of fry from them, and all is going well so far! :good:
You may have seen a Firemouth loitering the homepage :look: , that is the farther of the fry.
DSC00447.jpg

The eggs were layed about a week and half ago, couldnt get any pictures as they had layed inside a flowerpot. :fun:
Here are the fry after I took them away from the parents, and just as they started to swim. :lol:
DSC00459.jpg

This picture is of today. 19/12/2011
DSC00474.jpg

Any Comments, Questions Welcomed!
Westwood :good:

:santa:

Westwood,

Your tank looks amazing! Just wanted to ask what size tank would I need to try and breed Firemouths in? I have a 190l community at the moment with cardinals, and cacatuoides. Would they work in there?

Also do you have more photos of your tank, just for inspiration!

Thanks
hexy

Decided to do a update as it has been a while:
DSC00574.jpg

They are growing really well now. Some aggression is starting to show and they are starting to flare with their gills! :wub: Time for a bigger tank soon! :hyper:

Westwood

glad my old pair are doing you good :) surprised you havnt had another spawn yet lol but the fry are looking great .... shouldnt be long before sale time or are you keeping them until adults ... but firemouths are easy to sex and males have more elongated fins than the females

glad my old pair are doing you good :) surprised you havnt had another spawn yet lol but the fry are looking great .... shouldnt be long before sale time or are you keeping them until adults ... but firemouths are easy to sex and males have more elongated fins than the females

I'm going to try and keep them as long as I can to get the very best price I can. They are finally getting frisky again and I think there may be eggs in the tank now. I will get a 3 foot tank soon to finish growing them, or I may divide it so I can have 2 lots of fry at once.

Westwood

I'm going to try and keep them as long as I can to get the very best price I can. They are finally getting frisky again and I think there may be eggs in the tank now. I will get a 3 foot tank soon to finish growing them, or I may divide it so I can have 2 lots of fry at once.

Westwood

well if say 3inch in size they will be sexable so for f2s of this quailty and that size youd be looking to sell them at £8 - £12 each or £20+ a pair as wild type firemouths are hard to come by these days and tank bred firemouths are usualy £15+ a pair, so trust me your get your money back from the pair within a few sales lol and more

Westwood

well if say 3inch in size they will be sexable so for f2s of this quailty and that size youd be looking to sell them at £8 - £12 each or £20+ a pair as wild type firemouths are hard to come by these days and tank bred firemouths are usualy £15+ a pair, so trust me your get your money back from the pair within a few sales lol and more

I will have to get my eye in on sexing them! Just read a few sites said it was impossible, but this is because they are heavily tank breed. I have just found a second spawn and have got the wrigglers in a breeding box, which is great! More reason to get a bigger tank!

Thanks
Westwood

I will have to get my eye in on sexing them! Just read a few sites said it was impossible, but this is because they are heavily tank breed. I have just found a second spawn and have got the wrigglers in a breeding box, which is great! More reason to get a bigger tank!

Thanks
Westwood

nice one pal lol as yours arnt tank bred it should be alot easier but tank breds are still easy to sex ... you will see that the males are longer and have elongated dorsal and anal fins

Most reactions

Back