Firebellied Toad Diary

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Samage

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently (Thursday) acquired two firebellied toads (Bombina orientalis) from a usually reputable local petshop. Now, I'd had no intention of purchasing any toads, until I'd seen these two.

The were THE most amaciated, skinny little firebellied skeletons I'd ever seen. I simply COULD NOT leave them there. They were being kept with fiddler crabs, and fed cockles. Which toads don't eat, so they were effectively being starved. The third toad in the tank was already dead, sadly. I bought them, took them home where my mum dad and brother agreed they were in poor condition. So poor in fact, my mum and dad even rang up the manager to tell him what a complete prat he was! (Go Parents!).

I have a lighter coloured one (Splodge) and a darker one (Slurp) and both are painfully thin, Slurp moreso than Splodge. I aim to nurse them back to health, through a fattening diet and a decent, crabless home. This thread is a diary of their progress, for those who don't use the chatroom (where I keep people posted everyday).

Thursday, 27th may
I've bought the toads home and placed them in a temporary tank, which is a tad small but will do for now. It's mostly freshwater, with a fine gravel substrate and a floating island in it. Both toads are very weak, but as soon as I dropped an earthworm into the tank, they went mad, both trying to grab it at once, before I'd even put it down. This I think says something about how little they've eaten. Splodge has eaten 2 worms today, Slurp only ate part of one.

Friday, 28th may
I redesigned the tank today to incorporate a little more landmass, after worms keep pinging off into the water. Splodge seems brighter already, Slurp however seems even more listless. He's only eaten 1 maggot today, whilst Splodge wolfed down a big worm. I've very very concerned about Slurp, I'm not sure he is going to make it through. He's so thin, you could see his belly moving where he swalloed the maggot whole.

Saturday, 29th may
Splodge is even more active and bright today! His legs are still thin, but he's actually beginning to develop a little plump belly! Must be careful not to overfeed, toads can be prone to obesity. No danger of that for now however, he is by no standards fat. Slurp has taken a turn for the worse, he seems too weak now even to chew. I don't think he will make it. :no: As a last resort, I may try syringe feeding him mushed-up bugs. I can't believe a reputable petshop did this, I really can't.

I hope everything goes ok with them. Do you have any pics?

I think it's wonderful that you are trying hard to save these little creatures. My toads thank you!

I do hope that Slurp takes a turn for the better very soon. If not, it sure won't be from lack of you trying everything possible. Good luck with them and I am looking forward to hearing much more about your two little toads.

Sunday, 30th May (happy 18th to me! :D)

Splodge has really excelled in the few days I've had him. His belly gets plumper, he's so active and bouncy. Two slugs ended up in his tum today. He seems to particularly love climbing on the piece of bark in the tank! Talking of which, tomorrow I'm buying them something a little larger, to offer better landmass. At the moment the tank's a bit dominated by the pool!

Slurp...poor little Slurp. Taken yet another turn for the worse today, after surviving the night. Now he is listeless, hunched in the corner and twice today I thought he'd died. He flops onto his back and goes limp, only when left in the water for 30 mins does he slowly come around. He is beginning to get a bigger belly, although I think this could be pre-death bloating rather than fat. :-(

Thanks for the update and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you are enjoying your special day!

I'm so happy to hear that Sploge is really making strides and sad to hear about Slurp. I will pray that somehow, some way, he will make a turn for the better.

Are you not feeding the crickets because they are so emaciated?? I know my guys LOVE their crickets. Maybe Slurp would get excited over a cricket?

I'm so very sorry to hear that Slurp has gone to Rainbow Bridge. I'm sure he will meet up with lots of other toads there.

I do hope that Sploge makes it. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and will be looking forward to your updates.

Monday 31st may

Splodge is now alone. Not totally sure how this will affect him, I recall reading somewhere the FBTs are sociable animals and enjoy others for company...still, if he's sad it doesn't seem to be showing, he's still perky, bright and swimming about his little pool. He's even begun to take worms out of my hand now, although I'm not sure if that's a sign of hunger or trust! (Do toads develop trust? They're reputedly the most intelligent amphibs...). I'll be getting him a bigger tank soon, because this tank's not really large enough even for 1 FBT. This was just to get him settles in and stable. It's early days but I'd actually say that Splodge is out of immediate danger now. He's developed a little belly, but his back legs are still very thin, part of the idea behind a bigger tank is more room to hop, so he can build the muscles back up.

Slurp meanwhile, despite my only having him a short time, was buried in the pet section of the garden with full pet honours....RIP.

That was very kind of you to rescue the toads and try to help them recover. I'm sorry to hear about Slurp. :( It sounds like Splodge is doing well, though, and hopefully he will make a complete recovery. From the picture in your signature, it looks like your toads are brown. I also have a fire bellied toad (a green one) and his name is Pyro. They are a lot of fun to have a round. Here's to Splodge living a long and healthy life.

samage, youre my toady hero. :flex: i'm sorry slurp didn't make it. :-( i know you tried your best. keep us update on splodge, and post some pictures of the little guy when he feels up to a photo shoot.
i applaud you and your amphibian rescue attempt :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dallionz said:
That was very kind of you to rescue the toads and try to help them recover. I'm sorry to hear about Slurp. :( It sounds like Splodge is doing well, though, and hopefully he will make a complete recovery. From the picture in your signature, it looks like your toads are brown. I also have a fire bellied toad (a green one) and his name is Pyro. They are a lot of fun to have a round. Here's to Splodge living a long and healthy life.
Actually the avatar pic is an African Clawed Frog (Not mine, who is Albino).

Splodge is a lovelty vivid grassy green :)

Sorry to hear about Slurp :( Hope you had a happy birthday nonetheless. I admire your great compassion in rescuing the frogs from a terrible fate in the pet store.

Tuesday, 1st June

Nothing much to report. Splodge still doing well. Must get that new tank soon, I sense Splodge is beginning to feel a little bit cooped-up in the small Temporary tank I have set up for him. He took a very small worm out of my hand today, AND a small, moistened Reptomin stick! Is it unusual for toads to take inanimate stuff? Perhaps he's automatically assuming that anything in my hand is food...

Wednesday, 2nd June

Splodge seems to know that I don't like feeding livefood...because he's begun taking inanimate prey! He's eaten a few freezedried bloodworm and 2 Repotmin sticks today! This is very good news, specially for all the worms in my garden!

MUST get him that new tank tomorrow, because as he settles in he wants to explore more, and he's scaled the sides of the tank on several occasions...only to take a highdive into the pool...must get him a new tank that is wide and low - plenty of room to roam, but not too high so that he can hurt himself climbing!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back