FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SummersBetta

Reaction score
IMG_4495.JPG
IMG_4504.JPG
IMG_4505.JPG
IMG_4506.JPG
My Betta fish Clifford has some strange edges and color on his fins and tail and I'm not quite sure what to think of it. Most of the pictures I've seen online have had fins that have completely transparent edges or black edges and it doesn't quite match what I see. One thing to note is that several days ago, Clifford had swim bladder, he is better now and I have switched his food because that's what I believed it was BUT it also means he was all over the tank, I don't doubt that his fins were weakened due to stress and that they hit the edges of the tank. He also is a little 'special' if you know what I mean and is very easy to get sick due to poor breeding on the sellers part. He plays in the rocks sometimes and damages his fins all on his own and this COULD also be some regrowth. Thoughts?

[ He also is a little 'special' if you know what I mean and is very easy to get sick due to poor breeding on the sellers part. He plays in the rocks sometimes and damages his fins all on his own and this COULD also be some regrowth. Thoughts?

Your fish isnt "special" if you know what I mean.

My betta was also bought from a pet store and I nursed him back to health. He is as lively and lovely as any betta I have ever seen. "poor breeding" or not.

Looking from your pictures he seems to be in a rather small tank, I need you to answer some questions in order for us to help you, but first a bit of advice for you.

The number one cause of fish illness is stress. Meaning your fish had a comprimised immune system due to poor environment/care and therefore became sick. A stressed fish is a sick fish, then a dead fish. Fish that are well taken care of and in an established tank do not "get sick often".

His fins do not look like rot to me, but that they may be regrowing. Did/do you have any fake plants or sharp decor? He might have snagged his fins on one of those.

Can you tell us your water parameters first? Fresh numbers, nothing done from a week ago or two days ago. Numbers from the last 24 hours.
Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph, and alkalinity.

The size of your tank? Your betta should be kept in nothing smaller than 5 gallons. Others may say they can survive in as small as 2.5 but that is a load of rubbish. 5 gallons is the bare minimum for a betta to be able to live happily and exhibit its natural behaviors.

Is your tank cycled? Meaning you allowed for a bacteria colony to develop? http://aquariuminfo.org/cycling.html

Is your tank heated and filtered?

How often and at what quantity do you perform water changes?

What do you feed him and how often? Keep in mind that betta have a stomach about the size of one of their eyes so they are very easy to over feed.

How did you treat his swim bladder? With medicine? Did you remove the filter media before you did this?

It's a lot of questions, but we need this information in order to help you.

His fins do not look like rot to me, but that they may be regrowing.

Agreed.

He also is a little 'special' if you know what I mean and is very easy to get sick due to poor breeding on the sellers part.

Your fish isnt "special" if you know what I mean.

My betta was also bought from a pet store and I nursed him back to health. He is as lively and lovely as any betta I have ever seen. "poor breeding" or not.
I also agree with this.

All your fish needs is lots of clean warn treated water, Regular water changes, A high grade pellet, and dont over feed him, Like any other Betta.

That tank looks like it has no plants in it and is that a divider I see? is there a second fish on the other side?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back