How to help angelfish grow fins back?

Vladka

New Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Points
3
Location
Arizona
I noticed my youngest angelfish suddenly had a lot of her bottom fin torn off and the next day the bottom parts of her veils were gone too! I haven’t seen anyone bullying this fish, I’m not sure what is happening. One other angel has a bit of tearing on his bottom fin too but not as significant and the other 4 don’t have any damage.

It could be happening at night, my nocturnal stock are a pleco, black ghost knifefish (about 13”), bichir (he’s just always awake).

Other fish are Rosaline tetras, Bolivian rams, clown loaches, black red tail shark (she’s an old lady now)
250 gallons
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5487.webp
    IMG_5487.webp
    113.7 KB · Views: 97
On my Angels I have seen some small minor damage to the fins recover, but larger damage in particular to the pelvic fins I haven't seen them fully recover, the wound recovers but the spine supporting the fins seem to not recover. I have only had a couple of issues with fin damage on Angels so others might have observed different results in regards to fin repair.
 
I believe it’s the bichir snacking on their fins while they sleep! I love my bichir but that’s not cool of him, everyone is all torn up :,( I just might have to move him to my 150 gallon African cichlid tank once I get that set up but I’m not sure if he will cause trouble in there too.
 
A birchir will cause problems if placed in an inappropriate set up my friend.

They don't have good vision and will often take a bite of anything that happens to swim past it, that "might" be lunch. Or they will go for a stroll in the tank and take a chomp of something they bump into, but they can change their mind and not pursue the fish if it wasn't what they ordered from the menu! Your tetras will probably be targeted at some point, either to try and eat them, or just to taste them.
 
I don't see bichirs or red tailed sharks as community fish, though a bichir is likely what WILL kill that angel.

The only way to let some fins regrow is to give the angel its own tank, a fully set up permanent type tank that it can spend at least 6 months in while you research and rehome fish.
 
If it is a particular fish lashing out at the angel i would be concern it will happen to the other angels eventually and remove the offending fish no matter how much you love it. The fins will regrow if the water is clean and given enough time but they will never be exactly the same. I do have my fishes with a black ghost knife - er my 2 angels and after two years he hasn't touched them as their fins are not even slightly wringkled but i do not have veil or long fin angels just the regular ones which is enough for me as he is a handsome devil and she is not bad:

I guess the fins aren't perfect but he has to contend with the the larger fishes in the aquarium at times. You know teach them manners. He is only 6 inches and will need to grow another 3 or 4 inches to compete.



an1.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top