Female All Red Delta Guppy Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

b1030420

Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick one.
Got some new stock about 6 months ago including a trio of all red big tailed guppies, v nice.
Now ive let em too it 2 times now (the trio is young less than a year old) and ive got 2 batchs of fry about 50 in total.
They are 4 weeks and 8 weeks old respec.

Now my question is, why do all of these juvi's see to have a gravid spot. Do gonopodiums develop later?
Seems silly that they can all be female. Ph7.2 60l breeder amon 0 nits 0 temp 27-28C

Thanks

Forget about the so-called' gravid spot; it's is not an indication of sex or pregnancy and is, more usually, just a part of the stomach/gut/digestive system.

All livebearer fry start out looking female and develop the gonopodium later; usually between eight and twelve weeks, although it can vary by quite a lot.

Don't forget that with so many fry, you'll be needing to do a lot of water changes to keep them growing properly
good.gif

I've got full red's too, great fish.

Yes give them a few more weeks and your see some developing red and a gonopodium too.

Cheers guys. and when u say big water changes for the fry what do u mean? i do a 50-60%wc slowly, twice a week and suck up any waste.
a few mayb 15% have some color but still convinced theyre all girls :D ty

30% water change 2-3 time a week always vac out as much crap.

My fry usually didn't show gender until they were about 1 1/2- 2 months.  I would be very surprised if they were all female, there usually are less males, but there should be some.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back