Does my angelfish have ich? (Pics posted)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pyralis101

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this is ich? I have many more fish in the tank and only this one has the spots. They are on the top fin and the fins by the gills only.

Thanks for your help!
20200819_004310.jpg
20200819_004307.jpg
20200819_004304.jpg
20200819_004303.jpg
20200819_003335.jpg
20200819_003532.jpg
20200819_003334.jpg
20200819_004256.jpg
20200819_004301.jpg
20200819_004258.jpg
20200819_004302.jpg

I do believe it is ich. But wait for more opinions. What other stocking is in the tank. If it is ich, this thread may help you treat it.. especially @Colin_T ’s post at the end of the thread.

Of the treatments listed by Colin_T in his post in that thread, raising the temperature is the one we recommend nowadays.

Of the treatments listed by Colin_T in his post in that thread, raising the temperature is the one we recommend nowadays.
Thanks....I was thinking of going that route. But so you concur that it is infact Ich based in the photos?

It looks like ich on the fins but I can't see any spots on the body in the photos. You can see the fish - are there any spots on the body? And do the spots on the fins look as though salt has been sprinkled over them?

Just dealt with a nasty case of ich. Only thing that worked was raising the temp to 87F, adding aquarium salt ( if your fish aren’t salt sensitive), and feeding Garlic Guard on food. Ich hates garlic and salt. Good luck. :). Oh, I also covered my tank because some believe the parasite is more active in the dark.

Agree with all the others, this is @Colin_T’s more “technical” advice:

“The safest treatment for white spot (Ichthyophthirius, aka ick or ich) is heat. Just raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. Then reduce the temperature.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75-80% water change and gravel clean the substrate before raising the temperature.

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.
-------------
The following link has information about white spot. The first post on page 1 and second post on page 2 are worth a read.

Good luck! :fish:

It looks like ich on the fins but I can't see any spots on the body in the photos. You can see the fish - are there any spots on the body? And do the spots on the fins look as though salt has been sprinkled over them?
Thanks for your reply. I cannot see any on the body.

Do any other fish show any spots?
Are the spots new or have they been there a while?
Does this fish, or any other fish, rub against plants/decor/substrate?

If other fish have spots and/or rubbing against things and the spots on the angel are new I would go ahead with the heat treatment. Heat is tolerated by most fish much better than medications; it is like having a heatwave for a couple of weeks.

But if the spots have been there a while in the same place and no other fish have any spots, and no fish is rubbing against anything, I would not treat.

Hi, just to follow up and close this out, it turns out, now weeks later the spots are still in the exact same places, haven't spread, and are probably just part of my angelfish's beautiful fins :). So glad it wasnt ich! Thanks for all the replies!

Hi, just to follow up and close this out, it turns out, now weeks later the spots are still in the exact same places, haven't spread, and are probably just part of my angelfish's beautiful fins :). So glad it wasnt ich! Thanks for all the replies!
Nice, thats interesting that they can get that on their fins. Beautiful fish :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back