Disgusted At The Lfs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

speaking of tattooed fish, I am now wondering are Mickey Mouse Platys tatooed or is it just some cool coincedence?

this is unbelievable i never knew fish where dyed or even tattoed WTF? i don't think i have ever seen a dyed fish in the LF's i have been to but geeze must be animal cruelty there? no?

TallTree01 said:
I am gob-smacked!
What?

GOB is a Northern British, or southern scottish, slang term for Mouth.
smacked is self explaitery
gobsmacked is said to have been coined in the 1980's or so the Oxford English dictionary claimes. (and they are not alone)

Personally I think it was in use much before that date.
however you will not find it in written form untill 1985 (ish)

haha - thanks for the dictionary confirmation, rap!

raptorrex said:
I am gob-smacked!
What?

GOB is a Northern British, or southern scottish, slang term for Mouth.
smacked is self explaitery
gobsmacked is said to have been coined in the 1980's or so the Oxford English dictionary claimes. (and they are not alone)

Personally I think it was in use much before that date.
however you will not find it in written form untill 1985 (ish)

Thanks for clearing up any confusion raptorex. ;)

I live down in Devon, and gobsmacked is a term I am aware of.

Am sure it's used all over the place! But maybe not Australia until now! lol

Im pretty sure dying and tattooing fish or frogs is illegal here in the UK, and I'm glad too, just attracts idiots to put them in a tiny tank and leave them to die. Hopefully they will eventually be illegal everywhere, plus it looks awful!!

laurac94 said:
Im pretty sure dying and tattooing fish or frogs is illegal here in the UK, 

Nope, it's legal, just not a widespread practice due to bad publicity and disease.

I was under the impression that it's illegal to do the dying in the UK but it is legal to import and sell them.

essjay said:
I was under the impression that it's illegal to do the dying in the UK but it is legal to import and sell them.

That could be true, all i know for sure is you can definitely get them here. I do know GM fish are banned but that is more due to safety/health concerns and whatnot rather than the fishes welfare.

the thing with the people who dye the fish is that they think they can do whatever they want to the fish... since we are a 'dominant species' ... its really sad and cruel that they do that to fish... but for me glofish are ok... thats my opinion... since they have not been dyed but given a new strain of genes... in the philippines though people dont give a @#$% about their fish's wellfare... they keep pangasius cats in 10 gallon tanks they also sell some dyed fish too.. some people are just not educated enough to know what is needed by every fish.....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back